What Tunes Elicited The Best/Biggest Reaction?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I love listening to music alone but there's really nothing that beats seeing a tune go off in a crowd (the only thing that would top this is presumably playing the tune yourself). I want to be fed your happy memories through my computer screen and remember why I got into dance music in the first place. I was going to aim this at DJs at first but I will also accept submissions from the dancefloor.

Also, any videos from YouTube/elsewhere of crowds dancing/reacting to music of any sort will be grist for my mill.

As a sidebar, I really want to get hold of as many (good) dance sets with crowd noise included as possible, so if you've got any please stick them in here. Live sets with crowd noise trump studio mixes 10 times out of 10.

Simon78

Good topic Corpsey

Westwood used to have a stage at Notting Hill by the flyover and it used to get so hype. The lineup for 97 was mad. Busta Rhymes, Jay-Z, Lil Kim, maybe EPMD but they might have been another year? Can't remember.

Anyway, Busta Rhymes came on and it went nuts

I watched this the other day and the smile on Todd Edwards face when the first tune gets a wheel is great.

I've got a tape somewhere of Ed Rush & Optical playing at the Que Club in Birmingham and when Watermelon drops you can hear a massive cheer from the crowd. I'll have a look for it as it always made me smile and I could do with recording it.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
that Todd Edwards video is great. 2003 seems like a different age. As one poster says 'no (camera) phones, nothing'.

too many cameraphones here, but hey, still a massive tune

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Cant watch that todd vid right now but the 1st thing that came to mind for me was seeing him
dropping as i am remix at fabric (2009ish). Pure nostalgia rush though and ultimately predictable. Would be more interesting to hear stories of djs shelling down the rave with shiny new ammunition tho

droid

Sounds a bit like a football match, but an amazing crowd reaction all the same:

A bit OT, but still a singular performance and reaction.

"In Jerusalem, at the Yad Eliahu Sports Palace, there was pandemonium when Cohen stopped mid-performance and left the stage, agitated and in tears, saying that he could not go on and that the money should be refunded to the audience. Drugs and the pressure of performing the final concert of the tour in the holy city of Jerusalem had contributed to his state. In the dressing room, a distraught Cohen rejected the pleas of his musicians and manager to return to the stage. Several Israeli promoters, overhearing the conversation, walked out to the crowd and conveyed the news: Cohen would not be performing and they would receive their money back. The young audience responded by singing the Hebrew song, “Zim Shalom” (“We Bring You Peace”). Backstage, Cohen suddenly decided he needed a shave; rummaging in his guitar case for his razor, he spied an envelope with some acid from years ago. He turned to his band and inquired: “Should we not try some?” “Why not?” they answered. And “like the Eucharist,” Cohen has said, “I ripped open the envelope and handed out small portions to each band member.” A quick shave, a cigarette, and then out to the stage to receive a tumultuous welcome. The LSD took effect as he started to play and he saw the crowd unite into the grand image of “the Ancient of Days” from Daniel’s dream in the Old Testament. This image, “the Ancient of Days” who had witnessed all history, asked him, “Is this All, this performing on the stage?” Deliver or go home was the admonition. At that moment, Cohen had been singing “So Long, Marianne” intensely and a vision of Marianne appeared to him. He began to cry and, to hide his tears, turned to the band—only to discover that they, too, were in tears."

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/this_leonard_cohen_show_was_going_badly_until_he_dropped_acid

Leo

just an aside: i love how todd edwards looks so normal. fair to say i'd never suspect him of being a global star DJ if i ran into him in the market.

Pandiculate

This is a video that always sticks in my mind, the shoddy camerawork makes it better:

I hate that I haven't experienced this song on MDMA, must be euphoric

IdleRich

IdleRich
I was at Body Hammer on the weekend and that was pretty cool. I don't normally like it when it's that rammed that you can't dance but there is something kinda nice when it's all jammed like that and people on the raised bits at the side are having it and it feels kinda like a cave made out of people. Or something. There are some videos on facebook, if I can figure out how to download them I'll post them up.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Thanks for your replies, I was worried this thread would go down like a Theo Parrish tune at Slammin Vinyl.

Love that Todd video!

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Random memory here but the first time I ever did pills I was at a DNB night at Rock City Nottingham and I remember looking up at the big balconey when Mampi Swift was dropping some tune and every single person on the balconey and stairs went crazy with their arms on the drop. Being on pills for the first time I felt some mighty orgasmo shiver pass through my entire soul. And it was probably a fucking CLIPZ tune
Smiley-Laughing-crying.gif~c200

I'm being remiss by not naming any specific tunes myself but I will dredge my memory banks and try to come up with stuff.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Should have said that one of the ones that killed it at Body Hammer was Johnny Dangerous - Dear Father in Heaven. The clip on facebook is someone asking what it was.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I always like reading about jungle when tunes were dropped for the first time and people couldn't get their heads around them. Dunno if that's all post facto mythologising, though. I listened to a Goldie interview once where he was talking about hearing Terminator dropped by Grooverider at Rage for the first time when he was buzzing his tits off.

The last time I was in a club and the crowd reactions gave me chills was at Warehouse for Frequency. "Made U Look RMX" and "Know My Name" :confused::confused::confused: