Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Sensitive Dependence on Initial Conditions (or random events that changed music)

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Without slavery there would be no Western rock/pop canon. The blood and violence of colonisation, displacement, deprivation and mass migration provides the most fertile ground for musical innovation & development.

Michael Jacksons Pepsi hair fire. Precipitated a downward spiral of addiction and depression and plastic surgery obsession.
    I don't agree. I think it was the moment he attained enlightenment - he literally BECAME the lightning flash, that was the problem - and from there on in, everything he did was an attempt to explicate the moment of enlightenment he'd had, when he became a walking matchstick.

Eno getting hit by a taxi -> being unable to turn up the volume on quiet music recordings while bedridden in hospital -> his ambient works
    hmm, yes

Yeah, I think thats the obvious Eno one. Figure it might be worth the risk to hit him with a cab in return for 'on land'.

that's a killer one, the Eno

however i think it's actually three concatenated or sequential pivots - there's the accident (and him not being killed, which would open up a whole other counterfactual universe - no Remain in Light, no U2 imperial phase, no Low/Heroes/Lodger etc), but also the fact that some fuckwit broke the stereo in the hospital (it was also i think that one speaker was bust as well) and another left the volume turned so low, and also that Judy Nylon came round not just with a bunch of grapes and some flowers but an album of harp music i think it was. If she'd brought him an album of calypso or some rousing brass band music I don't think ambient would necessarily have resulted, even at semi-inaudible levels.

The unusually hot Jamaican summer of 1966 which (by some accounts) led to the slowing down of ska because people couldn't dance to the faster tempo. In comes rocksteady, the foregrounding of bass and the foundation of most of the sonic template of reggae.

Ruddy Redwood famously getting his hands on a mysterious vocal free Paragons tape at Duke Reid's and pressing it to acetate for his sound system, thus inventing the version, dub, & the remix.

Ruddy Redwood famously getting his hands on a mysterious vocal free Paragons tape at Duke Reid's and pressing it to acetate for his sound system, thus inventing the version, dub, & the remix.
    Yeah that's probably the best accident in history.

Queen's debut performance on TOTP, made possible by the promo for 'Rebel Rebel' not turning up on time.

The Sex Pistols appearing on Bill Grundy's show only because Queen pulled out at the last minute.

The Sex Pistols appearing on Bill Grundy's show only because Queen pulled out at the last minute.
    Ooh, I've got a good Pistols one - Malcolm McLaren 'discovering' a young Johnny Rotten because the latter was wearing a Pink Floyd T-shirt with "I HATE" crudely scrawled above the name of the band in black marker pen.

Possibly apocryphal but Google Images show the part about the T-shirt is true, at least.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

whoever it was in mid-80s Chicago who started messing around with the settings of an old Roland bass accompaniment synth probably deserves a mention here

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    whoever it was in mid-80s Chicago who started messing around with the settings of an old Roland bass accompaniment synth probably deserves a mention here
    Yes, that's surely the best 'accidental instrument discovery' ever.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Another Eno one

Roxy are forming around Bryan Ferry, Graham Simpson on bass, and Andy Mackay

Andy M has known Eno for a couple of years (through doing John Cage-ish type events at various colleges, one of which performances Eno witnessed and they got chatting)

however he hasn't seen him for a while

and then runs into him on the Tube

Eno: "I was getting on a train, on the Northern Line, and there was a choice between one carriage and the next. I got in and bumped into Andy Mackay. If I'd got into the other one, I wouldn't have joined Roxy Music, and I probably would have had a completely different life".

Quote Originally Posted by PiLhead View Post
    Eno: "I was getting on a train, on the Northern Line, and there was a choice between one carriage and the next. I got in and bumped into Andy Mackay. If I'd got into the other one, I wouldn't have joined Roxy Music, and I probably would have had a completely different life".
    That's a good one. I like that it involves someone as extraordinary as Brian Eno and something as prosaic as the Northern Line.

Quote Originally Posted by PiLhead View Post
    Nice. I think Im gonna have to read the Eno bio again.

Dec 9, 1914. Edison's factory in New Jersey burns down. The only company he can find to manufacture his cabinets is the Wisconsin Chair Company who get the equipment need to manufacture records as part of the deal.

The company goes on to found paramount records and start pressing novelty records in order to promote the cabinets, leading to the label becoming one of the leading producer of race records, and then the premier exponent of delta blues in the 30's - a direct influence on skiffle, which was ground zero for the British invasion and British rock of the 60's & 70's.