A Sensitive Dependence on Initial Conditions (or random events that changed music)

droid

Nice one. I was just reading about that recently. Some potential with him I think.

sadmanbarty

The Dutch genre of bubbling began in 1988 when Moortje, a DJ from Curacao (one of the islands in the Dutch Antilles), accidentally played a track on a dancehall LP at 45 rpm instead of 33 in Club Voltage. Rather than booing and shouting the Dutch equivalent of Oi! It's all gone Pete Tong, mate", the crowd loved what they heard.

Inspired by this moment, Moortje started making beats with sped-up ragga vocal loops, percussion influenced by traditional Antillean tambu music and rave-esque synths.

http://www.theguardian.com/global/2008/nov/24/bubbling

sadmanbarty

The riff of 'sweet child of mine' was just a string skipping exercise slash used to warm up, but the band heard it in rehearsal and decided to make a song out of it.

pete thownshend's windmill came from seeing keith richards swinging his arms around to warm up and pete thinking it was a playing technique.

Hendrix burnt his guitar at moneterey to one up the who. the who had gone on before him (decided by a coin toss) and had already done the guitar smashing thing, so hendrix took it a stage further and set his guitar on fire.

Traffic congestion at woodstock meant that many of the artists didn't arrive on time meaning Ritchie havens, the opening act, had to go long. He had done every song in his repertoire but the following acts still hadn't arrived, so he improvised freedom, based on the traditional spiritual 'motherless child'

sadmanbarty

miles davis meeting and subsequently marrying betty mabry. She introduced him to the funk of sly stone and james brown as well as the hard rock of hendrix. These influences would come to define his 70's output.

sadmanbarty

murder of panhead, leading buju banton to embrace social consciousness

jesse saunders getting robbed leading to the creation of house

wu tang basement flood

Seeing the crowd at Acme, the then promoter Andy Czezowski started up the Roxy, a London nightclub during the original outbreak of punk in England, so that people could go from the store and have some place to party. As most bands of that era had yet to be recorded, there were limited punk rock records to be played. Instead, Don Letts included many dub and reggae records in his sets, and is credited with introducing those sounds to the London punk scene

Benny Bunter

'legend has it' all the velvet underground's noisy effects pedals got pinched the night before recording their third lp, hence the gentle, unadorned sound.

sadmanbarty

Herbie Hancock happened to be passing through the building during the recording of tribute to Jack Johnson. He was ushered into the studio and given the organ to play, hence his presence on the record.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
what would Sabbath have sounded like if Tony Iommi hadn't injured his hand in the factory accident? more conventional, less heavy?

I love this story. Apparently it was the tips of the middle and ring fingers on his right hand (bearing in mind he's left-handed) that he lost to a sheet metal cutter as a teenager. He improvised a pair of prostheses based on thimbles which allowed him to carry on playing, but his fingers now weren't strong enough to bend the strings as much as he liked. His only option was to downtune the strings pretty far to reduce the tension - and thus was born Black Sabbath's trademark guitar sound, and arguably heavy metal in its entirety.

trza

Isn;t it crazy how snoop dogg never made a good album after his body guards shot that ethiopian guy right in front of him

nomos

Administrator
Hand me downs

Young Gary Numan walks into the studio to make a punk album. Moog has other ideas ...

(from 1:50)

trza

I was thinking about how Snoop had his bodyguards shoot a guy and he was dragged to court and got depressed and slowed down his career and he never made a good album after that even though his name is out there and everyone knows him.

Then I thought about the “Heavy D and Puff Daddy Celebrity Charity Basketball Game,” where 9 people died after a crowd stampede. Blame for the incident rolled uphill and the media went after Puff Daddy. The tabloid headlines meant P Diddy got dropped from his label job and he had to start his own label with a new name a couple years later with a bunch of new artists. He was a bazillion times more successful afterwards but the incident got him out of his bad situation with the previous major label.

droid

Simon bumping into Garfunkel completely by chance on the street in NY in '62 when they were both in college, and going onto record the sound of silence and Wednesday morning 2 years later.

droid

I cant help but think that there's something good in Bowie painting Ken Pitt's office, meeting Marc Bolan (who'd been offered the same chance to earn a few quid), becoming mates and leaving the job room half done - they knew of each other and probably would have met anyway...

Last edited:

bun-u

Trumpet Police
the countless times musicians have run into each other in elevators and somehow produced a hybrid artist - that's serendipitous

trza

yeah musicians literally bumping into each other like subatomic particles in the hadron supercollider is great but after a certain age many guys move out of the hood and get a house in the suburbs and never bump into anyone

droid

Moog-Oldham leaving a disastrous Stones Rehearsal in 1963 and literally walking straight into the Beatles who proceeded to play their new tune to the Stones, inspiring a Brian Jones riff and their first hit single.

Kemper Boyd

Twist of fate

Steve Diggle went down to the Free Trade Hall to meet another band only to be ushered upsatirs where Shelley and Devoto were setting up.