Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Name musicians/bands/producers you've never heard and probably never will hear

I tried Vampire Weekend recently cos they appear on a lot of those top 100 albums of the decade lists.

SHITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    I tried Vampire Weekend recently cos they appear on a lot of those top 100 albums of the decade lists.

SHITE.
    i'm always puzzled about how they are liked/loved by some music journalists who i respect and usually agree with. don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    i'm always puzzled about how they are liked/loved by some music journalists who i respect and usually agree with. don't get it.
    People who like David Byrne and C86 indie music

I'd largely avoided Drake for 5/6 years or whatever it is, until finally curiosity got the better of me one evening this year. And...it's not bad, is it? But why the hell is he so popular? Very personable in interviews though.

I like hold on it brings that quiet storm feeling back

Doesn't have the poise, hauteur or emotional weight of sade but it's a start

I hate on Drake at every opportunity but he's had some really good songs that cannot be denied as (albeit miserable) pop music.

Saying that, I think he's absolutely massive at the moment for reasons other than the music, but the music is definitely well produced/written.

I actually fuck w/ some Vampire Weekend tracks.

ELO
    Autechre + many of their fallow travellers
    probably most post millennium hip hop

Quote Originally Posted by CrowleyHead View Post
    I actually fuck w/ some Vampire Weekend tracks.
    Name them plz

I've heard the name Mumford & Sons quite a bit in the last year or two, thought to myself I might as well fill in the gap in my knowledge. So I listened to three songs of theirs on youtube- what I presume are their three biggest tracks. I was expecting to recognise them as the chart topping hits that they are, one of them ones where you've heard them a million times before and they are actually okay you just never knew who did them. And... they seem to be b-sides, underwhelming tracks that never seem to kick in.

There's a scene in the Sopranos where Christopher plays Hesh the CD of the band that his girlfriend wants to sign. Hesh listens to it and says, "it's not a hit". Christopher says words to the affect of, "with all due respect you're an old man, this probably isn't you're kind of music". Hesh replies: "doesn't matter, whether I like this genre or not I can tell the difference between a hit and a miss, and that is not a hit".

He was talking about Mumford & Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionfive View Post
    Autechre + many of their fallow travellers
    Whatever about the fellow travelers, you should rectify the AE bit. They stand alone in electronic music.

Quote Originally Posted by owengriffiths View Post

He was talking about Mumford & Sons.
    I hate them on principle because they're English public schoolboys pretending to be Irish gypsy folk, but I couldn't help but really like that song they did for "Inside Lwelyn Davies". I console myself with the knowledge that they probably ripped off the whole thing from some actual Irish follies.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    I hate on Drake at every opportunity but he's had some really good songs that cannot be denied as (albeit miserable) pop music.

Saying that, I think he's absolutely massive at the moment for reasons other than the music, but the music is definitely well produced/written.
    which tunes made him massive though? i loved 9am in dallas, but tunes like started from the bottom and marvin's room seem weak to me. not bad as such, just nothing-y. I'm perplexed that he's a superstar.

best thing drake ever did was the take care album
    his masterpiece imo
    even though everything he does is a work of contrivance

vampire weekend - i like some of their songs too
    though i dont remember the titles
    contra i think was one