Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Name musicians/bands/producers you've never heard and probably never will hear

Quote Originally Posted by rubberdingyrapids View Post
    vampire weekend - i like some of their songs too
    though i dont remember the titles
    contra i think was one
    This sounds close to my impression. I thought "Oxford Comma" was p. nice.

I don't listen to them regularly and when I heard A-Punk I thought the fake high-life vocal effects were pretty much, but then again we're told to cosign Talking Heads and were they much better necessarily?

I haven't heard any of Daniel Lanois solo, doesn't seem my cup of tea. And I have never heard a lick of Sick of it All.

Strawberry Switchblade is beloved by all my friends who love Cocteau Twins, so for that reason I've never ever ever listened to them.

This article on Drake by Noz was highly influential on my subsequent suspicion of him as an artist: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=127834096

I believe there's controversy over his rise to notoriety. I think him getting co-signed by Lil Wayne when Lil Wayne was the biggest rapper around was part of it. As Pusha T said (in reference to Drake) "I build mine off fed time and dope lines / You caught steam off headlines and co-signs".

The first song I heard by him was 'Best I Ever Had', which is probably seen by many as his low point, but I actually 'boldly' claimed to be his high point in a 'Wire' article. It stands in stark contrast to most of his later material by being upbeat and poppy and light hearted. (But maybe I like it because when I heard it I didn't know who Drake really was and therefore I took him light-heartedly.)

I think a significant thing Drake brought into rap was the fusion with R'N'B. Wayne and Kanye sang first, I think, but Drake was arguably the first rapper who was as much as much for an RNB audience as a hip-hop audience.

I'm sure Crowley among others can give a better overview of Drake's career though.
    Last edited by Corpsey; 06-08-2015 at 02:13 PM. Reason: TRZA'S RIGHTEOUS FURY

you couldn't make you point with less than four drake video embeds?
    Last edited by trza; 06-08-2015 at 02:28 PM. Reason: wait, not, put the videos back!
    did you tronc today?

funny thing is, when i think of this thread topic or "acts you just don't get" in general, the artists who come to mind aren't necessarily "bad". it's not that i don't listen to them because i think they suck, it's more some mysterious intangible thing about them (perhaps personality based), some obstacle that prevents me from giving them a fair chance. i know lots of people with great tastes in music who love bjork or drake (or kanye!), so i accept those artists are "great" in an objective sense, but something about them redirects me from having any interest.

Yes Leo I relate to that. Often its me being a contrarian - if loads of people are going on about something I tend to avoid it.

I do the same, but I try to figure out why...

A good example is Massive Attack. For years I've wondered why I don't love them. I like a couple songs fine, I love a lot of the people who know them but MA itself is... I once determined that as opposed to Tricky who (used to) make pop from a sort of post-hip-hop aesthetic which blurs a little with his Kate Bush fascinations, or likewise Portishead who do a similar thing... Massive Attack make a 'rock' version of hip-hop. Its all big stadium music and I tend to get bored by that very easily, and plus it worked really fast at shedding any real connection to dub or to hip-hop, instead becoming a lot more amorphous.

At some point I do need to do a Drake overview though bc so much of it makes sense but so much of it baffles me.

yup...yet at the same time, we probably all genuinely (ie, non-ironically) love some commercially popular (i.e., not-cool-for-heads-and-hipsters") artists. i love hot chip and the pet shop boys. i still really like the first xx album. i'd rather listen to a lenny kravitz greatest hits collection than most of the stuff on hyperdub.

ok, that last one might be going a little too far. but it's true!

if you dont like or get drake after listening to crew love, its prob not for you.

with drake you have to get past the whiny affected ennui but if you just want to hear him doing straight rap (and i think i might prefer it sometimes, even if its a more conservative option), then check out the motto -

this beat is one of my favourites of the last 5 years or so.

this one is also incredible (best synths since joker, in fact i wonder if it was influenced by joker) -

im obv a bigger drake fan than i thought.
    Last edited by rubberdingyrapids; 06-08-2015 at 04:58 PM.

This is a good forum for getting interesting discussions out of potentially boring subjects

Re: the discussion just above - I'm intrigued by the idea of what influence verbal/written descriptions of music has on our reception of that music 'post facto' ('post factmagazineo'). I remember reading about Talking Heads writing a song based on a description they'd read of Joy Division, having never actually HEARD Joy Division. I quite like that idea.

And I've read all this stuff about Tricky, e.g., which puts me off listening to him in the first place. Cos it sounds so very 90's, and also a bit depressing. This is a power that writers still hold, even in the internet age. I mean, if you've read a really eloquently negative review of something before you listen to it, isn't it likely that you'll be led down that negative path yourself?

Re drake (who is now taking over every post I do on here) - I think I actually could like him a lot more if he DID turn out to be a mouthpiece for other peoples' lyrics. I don't mind RNB singers doing that, for example. I think its the pretense with Drake that I can't stand. Particularly pretending to be a hard man when he is, as our American cousins might say, a complete Urkle.

Oneohtrix Point Never.

Oneohtrix Point Never EVER Ever?

Four Tet, some of his music is probably really good but in my mind I've built him up to be middle-of-roadness personified and I don't want to burst that bubble

realistically everyone in this thread has heard the big names in it, if you're at all plugged in you've heard Massive Attack/Mumford&Sons/Drake/etc., just perhaps not knowingly. you're still aware of the music they're producing on some level.
    hmm, yes

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    And...it's not bad, is it? But why the hell is he so popular?
    It's Noah Shebib, his producer, who is fucking mindblowing, coupled with clever marketing, allowing for a backstory plus "emotion". He's like Mary J Blige, that kinda marrying of genres plus human interest, which has allowed him to have "fans" in a way that artists don't really have anymore. Plus he genre-hops (Hold On, amazing) which gives people renewed interest.

But yeah I know...the "not bad" is about right. Love the production though, there's a few really good interviews with Shebib.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentative Andy View Post
    Oneohtrix Point Never.
    This guy could make the most amazing music the world has ever heard, for all I know, but like fuck am I listening to anything made by someone with a name that stupid.

I saw Bonobo live about a decade ago and they were a huge amount of fun. I say that as someone who is by no means a d'n'b connoisseur, however.

My own list would include:

most or all jazz
    Glass, Xenakis and all that avant-garde modern classical stuff
    Deadmau5
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I didn't even know Bonobo was D'N'B lol

Philip Glass is pretty good. OTOH he wrote the music for that intolerable This American Life episode recently where they turned a story about being stuck in a hotel closet into an opera for larks :BOURGOISIEGUFFAW: