Name musicians/bands/producers you've never heard and probably never will hear

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've always struggled with Prince #teamMJ but there are a few songs I recommend, all stinkingly obvious ones off his Greatest Hits:

I Would Die 4 U
When Doves Cry
Raspberry Beret
I Wanna Be Your Lover
If I Was Your Girlfriend
Dirty Mind
Get Off

I was thoroughly inculcated into the Beatles/Stones by my parents so I'm almost an eccentric Dissensian in liking them both. I can see why people hate the Beatles tbh but they've got more hits than Muhammed Ali and they nasally wail so viciously.

I Want You
Blackbird
You Won't See Me
Because (basically all of Abbey Road minus the atrocious Maxwell's Silver Hammer and that one Ringo sings)
Rain

But for God's sake don't feel obliged, I don't think it's remotely essential to hear any of them.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'd like to make an educated guess here and wager that Luka hates The Beatles and Crowley probably does too ;)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I can imagine Sgt Pepper being the opposite of everything you cherish

All twee and cheeky and full of quaint trumpets

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
McCartney, basically. A melodic master but also responsible for a lot of the twee parumpapumpum stuff.

Saying that, also responsible for stuff like ''Eleanor Rigby'', which must win some Luka love on account of it being sampled in Sisqo's seminal classic ''Thong Song''.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

I'm not going to wade into whether the Beatles we great or shit, in part because I'm on the fence myself (I think they had some good pop tunes, for sure, but don't really warrant their status as Ultimate Defining Musical Phenomenon Of The 20th Century), but I have trouble believing anyone with working ears could have reached adulthood in a Western country without having heard at least some of their music. (Unless by "never heard" we really mean "never sat down and deliberately listened to".)

Firefox's spellchecker recognizes "Beatles". It does not recognize, say, "Jamiroquai".

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
And yet Jamiroquai made more dancefloor bangers than The Beatles. I think Twist and Shout is the closest they came to matching a groove machine like Little L. Also, although they experimented with numerous eccentric dress styles, I don't think Lennon or McCartney ever wore a hat as stupid as Jay Kay's, nor drove Lamborghinis around rural roads at top speed with Denise Van Outen in the passenger seat. So the Quai win.

N.B. Despite the above being more or less sarcastic, Jamiroquai are probably my first and foremost guilty pleasure. I comfort myself in the knowledge that I'm sure I've read somewhere that they're beloved by at least some rappers. (See also: Phil Collins and Maroon 5 :eek:)

CrowleyHead

I fuck with The Beatles actually, I just find the BEATLES FANDOM existence in popular culture tedious as fuck.

The Reprise of the title track on "Sgt. Pepper" is actually hard as fuck.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VUImpeQG66U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was joking with Luka once everything sounds better with breakbeats, as proven by...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EWrltVYt8VM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Leo

The Beatles were the best thing to ever happen to me as a kid. Couldnt hope for a better musical primer.

have to agree with droid. it's easy to lose sight of the fact that the beatles were so far ahead of everyone else for most of their career. yeah, they copped chuck berry riffs for their early years but then their sound quickly transformed into something miles beyond their contemporaries. might even say everything from '65 ("rubber soul") on wouldn't sound entirely out of place if released any time in the past 10-20 years. just the fact that they went from "help!" to "sgt. pepper" in just two years is amazing, those albums are light-years apart in style and sound.

droid

Someone once asked me 'why should I listen to the Beatles?'. I mumbled the usual platitudes about their importance, 'great songwriters' etc, but afterwards I realised that the thing that makes them so special is the fact that they made complicated things sound simple. They're the epitome of a gateway band - totally accessible yet full of hidden depths if you care to delve.

As for the Beatles phenomenon... they were avatars for an entire generation at probably the last time in history where a single band could occupy that position within the mainstream, so its understandable.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Prince, Beatles, Rolling stones, all of folk and punk. Too much stuff really. The hip-hop thread above as well, probably.

I don't know what it is, laziness or backwardness, but for most stuff I should try to at least have a minimum of curiosity I just can't bring up the time and energy.

It's laziness

Last edited:

Leo

it's also partly not having the time to explore things, or perhaps we just have access to too much (via the web) and feel overwhelmed and turned off (aka, lazy). i used to love to find some obscure, weird looking/sounding record or cd, then research the label, maybe uncover a new scene that's developing somewhere and follow all the tangents. now i often feel i don't even have time to listen to stuff i have, never mind searching out new things.

other priorities suck up your time when you get older. and i'm an old bastard!

luka

I know I shouldn't go on about the Beatles cos you can't change anybody mind and I don't dislike everything they do. I even own revolver and have listened to it on more than one occasion.
BUT i don't and can't see how anybody could consider them to be in the same league as songwriters, musicians or vocalists as the motown crew who I consider to be the pinnacle of pop music. Nothing the Beatles does sounds perfect. It always sounds provisional whereas motown released a huge number or perfect records. Records that are so.perfectly formed it's like they've ways existed. The Beatles always sound very sludgey, very sluggish and half formed. You don't get the sharp edges and smooth surfaces you get with motown. There's nothing sexy or glamorous there

Numbers

I have trouble believing anyone with working ears could have reached adulthood in a Western country without having heard at least some of their music. (Unless by "never heard" we really mean "never sat down and deliberately listened to".)

Yes, that is what I meant, of course. I have heard their greatest hits, as does everybody. I just never cared to sit down to listen to even one of their albums and I doubt I ever will. There is an obvious quality to their music, but it's lost on me. Most of it riles me up.

Leo, is right, by the way. It's not only laziness. It's also priorities. Beatles, Stones, folk, eighties punk, recent hiphop, etc. score low on my priorities list. I am sure I miss out on some excellent stuff, mind you, it's not that I am proud of it.