Thread: Kazakhstan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Kazakhstan

Anyone been there? Slight possibility i might be going there for work for a fortnight. Wondering what to expect.

осом!!
    hopefully not too much like this http://www.dissensus.com/showthread....276#post318276

I was meant to go to Almaty for work this year, but the trip's not yet materialised. However, I went to Bishkek in Kyrgyzstan last year (and loved it), where I met a Kazakh colleague, so I know a bit about the country. Almaty looks beautifully situated in the mountains. Is it there you're going or Astana (which looks like one of the weirdest cities on earth) - I think they're wildly different kinds of places?

We tried to organise an Association of Autonomous Astronauts conference there in the 90s because apparently there was plenty of junked space hardware to be had.

Unfortunately it didn't happen... would love to go.

thanks baboon and thanks john.

if i end up having to go it is to astana. slightly nervous about the proposition so your input was very gratefully received.

i reason that it's one of those places which i wouldn't naturally go to of my own volition - and therefore to have the opportunity would be a really excellent experience.

Woebot, did you end up going to Astana in the end? Would be interesting to hear how it went if so. I'm likely to be going to Almaty next month.