Jeremy Corbyn

rubberdingyrapids

the media are basically colluding in some sort of long running smear campaign against corbyn. quite interesting to see. hes not blameless obv, and has said some truly stupid dyed in the wool leftie things, (who is working his media campaign i wonder) but its still pretty revealing to see.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Indeed. it's remarkable, though I was heartened recently to see an editorial in the Times praising him as a politician (admittedly before this celebrated reshuffle)

It's interesting to see the repetition of the same old logic to vilify anything or anyone progressive - resistance must reach an impossible standard of purity, otherwise it cannot be allowed. Happens with every protest or civil disobedience that's too effective. Since Corbyn is human, he says daft things occasionally. And therefore the 'desired' standard of purity is not reached.

glasshand

dj panic attack
Corbs hacked

http://www.theladbible.com/articles/jeremy-corbyn-s-just-been-hacked-on-twitter-and-it-s-brilliant

Corbs writing for the guardian

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...our-beating-the-tories?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

In some ways i'm looking forward to financial crisis 2k16..

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jan/09/2016-world-tumbles-back-economic-crisis

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...sis-and-is-predicting-market-falls-again.html

what will the tories be saying when it happens? surely can't keep repeating 'economy..stability..economy..security..' after this one happens on their watch

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
what will the tories be saying when it happens? surely can't keep repeating 'economy..stability..economy..security..' after this one happens on their watch

I expect Gideon will bravely take it on the chin, accept full responsibility and apologize to us all for not making big enough spending cuts. But give him another few years and he'll have it all sorted out, promise.

sadmanbarty

Earlier in the thread there was discussion about whether to bomb Syria and if so, in what way should the air campaign be carried out. I'm surprised to see that Chomsky of all people has the same opinion I do in endorsing air support for the Kurds.

2.49:

griftert

My brother has been talking about how he reckons a lot of the geopolitics only makes sense in a context of a mobilisation against the kurds, turkey being brought into the EU, support for Iran and the Saudis...hmm. Going to read some stuff about Ocalan and hope I don't get shot up.

craner

Beast of Burden
Well (deep breath) your brother sounds slightly nuts, but interesting. Ocalan is not the best place to start if you want to understand Kurdish history, though. Try David McDowall's 'Modern History of the Kurds': it has many things to recommend it, for example you get a clear and concise precis of Kurdish origins, you learn to sympathise with their cause while also being inoculated against the blind Kurd-worship that plagues certain quarters, my quarter included.

sadmanbarty

My brother has been talking about how he reckons a lot of the geopolitics only makes sense in a context of a mobilisation against the kurds, turkey being brought into the EU, support for Iran and the Saudis...hmm. Going to read some stuff about Ocalan and hope I don't get shot up.

Turkey's Syria policy is in large part centred on resisting Kurdish autonomy in Syria, however this isn't isn't a huge concern for any other actors involved.

Erdogan is less West leaning than previous Turkish governments, however placating Europe, Nato and America are concerns that he is trying to balance their interests with his ambitions of regional leadership.

Allegiances to Iran and Saudi Arabia are on of the biggest factors in the current situation in the middle-east.

Ha, peak oil smuggling, I like it.

More evidence for that than actual peak oil
http://www.theoildrum.com/node/2716
blanketyblank_onions.jpg

rubberdingyrapids

anyone have any thoughts on the current labour-is-anti-semitic hysteria?

ive not followed every development, but bit shocked that just cos ken mentions hitler (which was staggeringly stupid of him), that it means he should be booted out of the party.

funny how its okay for tory mps to say things about migrants, muslims, and whoever else, but anything resembling anti semitism and you lose your right to a political life.

i do think people conflate hatred of israels occupation with jewish people as a whole though, which is unfair, and this is something corbyn and his party need to actually think about. otherwise every time they say anything critical of israel its just going to be used against them.

luka

in light of how the tories are running the mayoral election it points to a power/influence differential but equally ken has been around long enough to be more astute.

rubberdingyrapids

the evening standard is basically zac goldsmith propaganda

The Labour is anti-semitic line is pretty much entirely laughable.

its being seized upon though

first time i heard about it i think was a newsnight piece a few months ago - the aggression behind the report was as if they had been given orders from cameron.

luka

yeah it was the standards headline from the other day that really pushed me over the edge like how tf do you get away with that?

droid

the evening standard is basically zac goldsmith propaganda

its being seized upon though

first time i heard about it i think was a newsnight piece a few months ago - the aggression behind the report was as if they had been given orders from cameron.

Originally it was 'Corbyn once knew a guy who said something anti-semitic a decade later', now its 'Labour MP criticises Israel'. Same old guff.

rubberdingyrapids

and now sadiq khan has to call for kens head as hes already been tarred as a friend of extremists (thanks evening standard). hes muslim so of course we all know that hes anti semitic. :rolleyes:

ive not seen any advance voter surveys but i cant imagine goldsmith losing now.