Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeremy Corbyn

Quote Originally Posted by glasshand View Post
    true yeh. i sorta had catholics more in mind when i was writing that reply because i have had more experience of catholicism and it seems to be very socially conservative and contradictory. i know there is a tendency for catholics to vote on the left, but i find this at odds with their views on sexual desire and emphasis on children as the responsibility of parents>church and not the state. i was maybe extrapolating unfairly onto all christians.
    Are you talking specifically about the UK, though? The conjunction of Catholicism with Irishness surely has a lot to do with that.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Catholics' views on sexual desire and emphasis on children

lol

Will Self with a couple points

among others i find this recent jeremy bashing article enraging:

jeremy-corbyn-is-a-stranger-to-responsibility-and-will-loathe-leadership-

extremely patronising article from a dude who writes books about Labour and apparently considers himself immersed in Labour party politics. he predicts that Labour ministers will turn against Corbyn because they're career politicians, and then defends that position. exactly the thing (defense of middle ground political class) Will Self points out of John McTernan in the above vid. no integrity

extremely patronising article
    But this is a man whose life has been spent avoiding tiresome responsibility. He is like an adolescent with a head full of ideas who is not in the least interested in how his cherished principles impact on the outside world.
    Fucking hell, it almost reads like a parody of the world-weary realist trying to disabuse the naive young idealist, with his beret, bumfluff moustache, Palestine-flag pin badge and FREE NELSON MANDELA T-shirt...
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I don't follow uk politics, has this guy said anything funny in the past?
    did you tronc today?

dyou mean funny ha ha or funny not alright?

not exactly hilarious but...

http://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/14...-jeremy-corbyn

this covers the main controversy.

Though the main reason that Corbyn is getting so much heat and micro-examination in the first place (not that I think he's dealt with the allegations particularly well) is that he's anti-austerity, and the Labour Party 'grandees' and UK media are engaged in a quite extraordinary two-pronged character assassination, painting Corbyn in whatever negative ways they can, including war criminal and satanic marionette Tony Blair repeating every hour, on the hour, the allegation that Corbyn's election will lead to the downfall of civilisation as we know it (of which Blair apparently believes he is actually a part - go figure).
    Last edited by baboon2004; 01-09-2015 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    http://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/14...-jeremy-corbyn

this covers the main controversy.

Though the main reason that Corbyn is getting so much heat and micro-examination in the first place (not that I think he's dealt with the allegations particularly well) is that he's anti-austerity, and the Labour Party 'grandees' and UK media are engaged in a quite extraordinary two-pronged character assassination, painting Corbyn in whatever negative ways they can, including war criminal and satanic marionette Tony Blair repeating every hour, on the hour, the allegation that Corbyn's election will lead to the downfall of civilisation as we know it (of which Blair apparently believes he is actually a part - go figure).
    response to that:

I think most 'centrists' have already written Corbyn off, so further propaganda (from e.g. Blair) to try and put them off is unnecessary. I don't for one moment think Blair is stupid, so I can only assume it's his monstrous ego that makes him think him sticking his oar in is going to alienate Corbyn supporters from their darling rather than make them consider his dire warnings the best possible endorsement for an anti-war, social-democratic candidate.

I thought Ummuna's response to Corbyn's rise as reported in the Guardian today was the most sensible thing I've heard from the centre of the party in relation to him.

John McTernan is a fucking scumbag arsewipe half-wit cunt of the highest order, and stands out in a field of them. One of the worst people.

i'd agree about Umunna, nice bit of backpedalling

channel 4 hustings from the other night:

nothing major to watch out for in there, still stands out as the one who seems to be the most clear about what he's actually for and voices the most things i agree with. debate put me off Burnham even more than i was already, seems a bit dim

on the way back from work on my bike - spotted this man being driven in a cab (i know! i was horrified! exploitation of the working classes! ) by the pentonville road.

i have history when it comes to misidentifying well-known people - but i do know that owing to the blanket corbyn coverage he was at a hustings in north islington in the afternoon. perhaps late from the commons?

So apparently Jezzer is some sort of awful misogynist dinosaur because his shadow cabinet is less that 117% female.

Fucksake. GO TEAM COUNTERPRODUCTIVE LEFTIST INFIGHTING!

Exactly. What worries me is that it seems the Corbyn leadership didn't see this media storm coming, and pre-empt it with a statement about the importance of appointing women to senior roles (and maybe an idea of how many women would be in the shadow cabinet - it's about a 50-50 gender split, isn't it?), rather than letting the right wing press have a field day with it.

Maybe they did send out such a statement and the press ignored it, I dunno. But it would be great if Corbyn Labour could be both straight-talking and have a basic level of media savviness

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post

Fucksake. GO TEAM COUNTERPRODUCTIVE LEFTIST INFIGHTING!
    I don't think it's exactly the left that are gunning for him with this tack, though I'm sure there are some.

He's going to get a pounding if the last couple of days are anything to go by. Is he really electable? I was thinking about how many people that singing the national anthem without prompting is a prerequisite for the role. Must be a large chunk of the electorate.