Jeremy Corbyn

droid

Normally under these circumstances you would expect a swing to the government, but as Craner says that hasnt been the pattern of late. The biggest danger is the pause in the campaign sucking Labour's momentum and enabling May to look statesmanlike.

On the other hand, there is a chance that this will swing hardcore morons back to UKIP, which will eat into Tory seats. Corbyn's reaction has been very good also. Heartfelt, calm and sincere.

Appalling stuff though. Heartbreaking on twitter today. Can anyone explain to me again why Blair's rightful place isnt at the end of a rope?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I found out today that there is a Tory councillor who is literally a former member of the IRA. You can't make this shit up.

Not sure whether that counts as a move up or down the moral ladder. Probably more like sideways.

craner

Beast of Burden
Well, it's an interesting thing to do - excruciating and entertaining at the same time. Have you worked out a doorstep patter, yet?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Have you worked out a doorstep patter, yet?

Er, working on it! I think it was mostly successful. A lot of people were out, probably due it being the nicest evening this year so far. Got one slightly crazy woman who said she'd voted for the current Labour MP in the past but wouldn't be this time, because he's a Remainer, which she then 'backed up' with a disjointed rant about the EU, terrorists and paedophiles. Apparently if and when we leave the EU, things'll be tough for a couple of years and then everything will go back to normal. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

craner

Beast of Burden
Yes, canvassing is where you get a real impression of the mood of voters, much more than reading polls. My 2015 prediction was entirely down to doing lots of Labour door knocking.

craner

Beast of Burden
Interesting.

It will also interesting to see how his planned speech goes down tomorrow. I'm not sure it is going to be as badly received as people expect.

craner

Beast of Burden
On the other hand, it doesn't look like Nuttal's attempt to pin the blame for the attack on May has gone down at all well either.

droid

They've reduced a 27 point lead to a 5 point lead in 3+ weeks. That doesnt automatically translate to seats, but theres a serious trend at work here.

Did I mention the 2million new voter registrations since May's announcement?

craner

Beast of Burden
I agree, it is hard to predict. But, yes, that is striking. Entirely due to the respective manifestos, I reckon. On that basis alone, this is a fascinating litmus test of what people want. It seems to be contradictory: a mix of right and left policies, with the centre ground at siege. Nationalisation and state spending, plus closed borders and Brexit.

droid

The manifesto is sensible social democratic policy which will reduce inequality and improve the lives of millions. It only seems left because UK politics has been driven batshit insane by managerialism, the extreme right and toxic media.

luka

I was waiting for a train back from prison where i was visiting someone. It was a 90 minutes wait and i met a woman. Her boyfriend was doing 11 years for armed robbery. She shared her spliff with me. She said she hates corbyn. He's a fucking hippy and he supports the ira.
But dont get me wrong im not a tory i hate theresa may too.

There thats my state of the nation report. I talked to a member of the public thats how they feel.

She doesnt mind lib dems cos theyll legalise it :cool:

craner

Beast of Burden
The attitude to foreign aid fascinates me, because it is so close to the heart of "progressives", Social Democrats and liberals (like me!) but is widely loathed by a large chunk of British voters. I mean, there are many reasons that aid is problematic and the critiques of it are pertinent and complex (going right back to Graham Handcock's classic Lords of Poverty), but these complexities are generally not the objections made by voters. There's are large dose of isolationism and even xenophobia driving that impulse which is disturbing, to me.