Jeremy Corbyn

john eden

male pale and stale
If YouGov is right, and there is strong youth turnout there will be a hung parliament. Depending on seat distribution it may be possible for Labour/SNP and others to form a government and both are making noises in that direction. If trends progress as they have been this could become a very real option.

Difficulty is with seat distribution. Lots of young voters are concentrated in cities (where the colleges and jobs are).

droid

According to the record - this is the strongest indicator of electoral success in the UK

DBURukMWAAElr1j.jpg:large

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
SNP - 58 total seats in Scotland (SNP have 56) out of 651 in the whole of the UK =9% , is broadly proportional to its relative population. The SNP's local focus just means no votes will be 'wasted' on constituencies where they don't have a real chance of winning the seat. PR would hit them harder than anyone else.

Well if you look at the stats, it's pretty stark: in 2015, SNP got 56 seats with 4.7% of the popular vote (not everyone in Scotland voted for them, remember), while the Lib Dems got 8 (eight, yes eight) seats with 7.9% of the vote. As you say, it's all down to local focus, whereas the LDs' support is spread throughout the UK with only big enough local concentrations for them to win a majority or plurality in a few constituencies.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
True, but I think the more important factor in that particular example was that the universe doesn't like Nick Clegg.

droid

Er... he's a citizen of a non-democratic nation which has failed to ratify the Rome statute of the International Criminal Court?

droid

Here's the polling errors from Brexit. The two companies giving the lowest CON lead are both in the margin of error (The red box).

DBbMgESWAAEes4H.jpg

luka

May will win in a landslide. Then get ousted as leader. Hopefully not to be replaced by Boris. The thought of him buddying up with Trump is too terrible to bear.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Polls are often wrong, but they're not generally that wrong. I think the most likely outcomes are either: the Tories hanging on by their fingernails with a majority so tiny they have trouble pushing through much of their further programme of cuts and privatizations - this should be helped by large numbers of non-hard-left Labour MPs warming to Corbyn due to his performance as a campaigner over the last few weeks, and Labour as a whole actually starting to act like an opposition party at long last; or a hung parliament, with everyone other than the Tories cursing Corbyn for having ruled out an alliance with the SNP that would've given the two parties a comfortable majority between them. Even if Corbyn were to change his tune - or be replaced as leader by someone more amenable to an alliance (although not Cooper, apparently) - Sturgeon might well feel too snubbed already to consider it, and instead opt to let England go hang under the Tory lash while banking on Scottish independence a few years down the line, and an immediate application to join the EU.

Of course, I understand the appeal of setting your expectations as low as possible before something like this...

droid

I wouldn't read too much into the coalition denials. It happens in every election and is pretty much required. If hes in a position to form a government with the SNP then Id be very surprised if it doesnt happen.

droid

Big media surprise for me is Sky's generally good handling of the aftermath of London bridge, and BBC's generally awful coverage.

glasshand

dj panic attack
corbs didn't rule out a coalition but emily thornberry basically did at the end of corbs' brexit speech..

reason i'm not sure it would work is that the SNP would surely want a condition of a coalition to be another independence ref in scotland, then if that was Yes they'd remain in the EU

droid

corbs didn't rule out a coalition but emily thornberry basically did at the end of corbs' brexit speech..

reason i'm not sure it would work is that the SNP would surely want a condition of a coalition to be another independence ref in scotland, then if that was Yes they'd remain in the EU

Speaking of...

YouGov/Times (Scotland):

SNP 41 (-1)
CON 26 (-3)
LAB 25 (+6)
LD 6 (=)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
corbs didn't rule out a coalition...

Hmm, I was going on this story: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...ral-democrats-nec_uk_58f77c2be4b0de5bac42b5fd

but from only a few days ago, there's this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/01/jeremy-corbyn-refuses-rule-labour-coalition-deal-snp/

(it's rather open to interpretation and could just be rightist scaremongering, as a quick google only showed up the above story in the Torygraph and a similar one in the Express)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Speaking of...

That's a good point - the nationalists up north are still strong but there's talk of having passed 'peak SNP'. A Labour resurgence in Scotland could make all the difference - in fact it could be the SNP begging for an alliance with Labour rather than the other way around, who knows?