Jeremy Corbyn

droid

Like I said, if its a hung parliament all bets are off. Pretty much every party in every election ever rules out coalition in advance.

luka

Theyll ask jc about it and he'll just tsk and look irritated and everyone will be like, yep, herbivore, cant stick up for himself, Boris nailed it

luka

It is the terror story. Jc dont endorse shoot to Kill. Jc wants to give terrorists a Cup of tea. Jc supported argentina in the falklands/mexico '86 etc
It's the death blow and Boris is the politician jc least equipped to deal with. An old fashioned public school bully

droid

It is the terror story. Jc dont endorse shoot to Kill. Jc wants to give terrorists a Cup of tea. Jc supported argentina in the falklands/mexico '86 etc
It's the death blow and Boris is the politician jc least equipped to deal with. An old fashioned public school bully

Boris Johnson's anti-Corbyn speech - Summary and analysis

It has been clear for some time that the Tories were itching to attack Jeremy Corbyn over security and defence and issues like the IRA and it was reported a few weeks ago that they were saving up their best ammunition for the final stage of the campaign. Boris Johnson’s speech felt as it was intended to be the knock-out blow on this theme.

Though short, it was certainly a very striking speech, with one of the most imaginative metaphors of the campaign (the Zaphod Beeblebrox one - see below). It was also classically propagandist, conflating charges that are exaggerated, or untrue, with those that are well founded, to create a pungent mix.

But it probably is not having quite the effect intended. On another day it would be leading the news. Instead it has been overshadowed by the ongoing London Bridge attacks story.

Here are the key points...

sadmanbarty

I'm inclined to agree with Luka about the election results. There are a few interesting tidbits in this:

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2017/06/0...ear-winter-for-labour-somethings-got-to-give/

This I think is particularly important: "some voters gamed the polls. They used them to signal a protest before reverting to a different choice in the polling booth". Given the anger about the Dementia Tax and May not turning up at the debates, I'm sure this is a big part of what's going on in the polls.

According to Nate Silver the margin of error for UK polling is 10% and tends to underrate the Tories.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
If the voting public were more influenced by facts than emotive slanders and insults, they'd be deserting May in their droves following these attacks due to her abysmal record as home sec and the fact that she slashed police numbers by 20,000. I mean, I think that probably is having some traction, but mainly among people who were always going to vote Labour anyway. Tory voters just have Corbyn's "our friends in Hamas" going round and round in their heads.

droid

The margin of error is about 6-7% IIRC, and Silvers' main takeway from this campaign is:

These experiences have given rise to what I’ve called the First Rule of Polling Errors, which is that polls almost always miss in the opposite direction of what pundits expect:
C_Y-VshW0AAzuHB.jpg

droid

Ive checked every main UK news source and terror is way ahead of all election news with Diane Abbot being the lead anti-labour story. Virtually no mention of Boris.

droid

Labour signs and portents.

Pros:

Strong mass campaign
Soaring youth popularity and (apparent) willingness to vote
Seeming groundswell and some middleground shift towards Corbyn
Popular manifesto
Appalling Tory Campaign
(Some) polls

Cons:

Votes concentrated in Urban centres
Negative reports from provincial Labour campaigners