Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1656646566

Thread: Jeremy Corbyn

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    People don't want yet another divisive political campaign, for sure. Even the election seemed to greeted with another weary shrug. This is not the same as endorsing the course we appear to be on though.
    Oh I agree. I think people are going to grin and bear it for now though.

As the Brexit deal progresses and the reality sinks in things will get more messy.

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    Oh I agree. I think people are going to grin and bear it for now though.

As the Brexit deal progresses and the reality sinks in things will get more messy.
    That's correct and it's something the author of the article Danny posted earlier discusses. Appealing to the pro-Brexit, working class vote makes a definite tactical sense, and it's thanks to Corbnyn's force of personality (or if you like, media image) that he's been able to do this, but it's going to be increasingly hard to maintain the compromise between "red UKIP" and pro-remain students and professionals as reality approaches.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to vimothy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    That's correct and it's something the author of the article Danny posted earlier discusses. Appealing to the pro-Brexit, working class vote makes a definite tactical sense, and it's thanks to Corbnyn's force of personality (or if you like, media image) that he's been able to do this, but it's going to be increasingly hard to maintain the compromise between "red UKIP" and pro-remain students and professionals as reality approaches.
    I think the one thing that might work in Corbyn's favour is the latter group have nowhere to place their vote. This is certainly what I feel like (and one of the reasons I don't like Corbyn's takeover of the Labour party, though I recognise it's delivered other positives). There's no one I can back who reflects anything close to a anti-Brexit position.

An 8 point lead for Labour and the party is still enmeshed in internal strife, on show for the world to see https://www.theguardian.com/politics...tary-committee

So Corbyn out for dinner on Monday with Marcus Papadopoulous, denier of genocide in Sbrenica and Assad fan.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ial-pro-assad/

This isn't a smear or a misinterpretation or put up job, these are his people and this is who he chooses to spend time with.

: "There was no siege of #Sarajevo, there was no genocide at #Srebrenica and there was no massacre at #Aleppo. Discard what Western media says". Papadoulous on Twitter.

Dodgy, to say the least. But then, how relevant is Corbyn after the dust has settled now? Meaning, it looks like the closest he ever got to become PM was the day after the election.

I don't know tbh. May is weak - Tories have been talking about a leadership challenge after the summer (big question is who?). I'm pretty sure they'll fight like grim death not to have an election though. I don't know to what degree that'll be possible if Labour does manage to sink some of their key legislation. Labour would still have to win 65 seats (IIRC) to form a majority govt so the possibility of a Corbyn government is very unlikely.

More on Assad-cheering fascists at the top of Labour here: https://order-order.com/2017/07/12/t...sad-and-putin/ (yes, it is a Guido Fawkes link but the tweets are all genuine). This dude asked an Arab activist I know (Oz Katerji) "do you support Al-Qaeda?". Oz commented afterwards that he'd never experienced outright bigoted abuse like that from the Tories.

I think JC and his supporters will shape the culture of the party for a long time. In a lot of ways, they flourish in opposition, doing best when insulated from the realities of being in power.

What I find sad is that I can imagine an alternate recent past where the Left saw past its collective blindness and supported the revolution in Syria. It could've been a popular cause, just as the struggle for Palestinian rights is. Instead we've got blank ignorance at best and active support for genocide and war crimes at worst.
    Last edited by DannyL; 13-07-2017 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    you guys are lucky I didnt make it over in May as you would all have been blinded by my radiant glory.
    yeah what happened?

next up: acid corbynism
    wahey!