Jeremy Corbyn

DannyL

Wild Horses
: "There was no siege of #Sarajevo, there was no genocide at #Srebrenica and there was no massacre at #Aleppo. Discard what Western media says". Papadoulous on Twitter.

firefinga

Dodgy, to say the least. But then, how relevant is Corbyn after the dust has settled now? Meaning, it looks like the closest he ever got to become PM was the day after the election.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I don't know tbh. May is weak - Tories have been talking about a leadership challenge after the summer (big question is who?). I'm pretty sure they'll fight like grim death not to have an election though. I don't know to what degree that'll be possible if Labour does manage to sink some of their key legislation. Labour would still have to win 65 seats (IIRC) to form a majority govt so the possibility of a Corbyn government is very unlikely.

More on Assad-cheering fascists at the top of Labour here: https://order-order.com/2017/07/12/top-corbyn-aide-sided-with-assad-and-putin/ (yes, it is a Guido Fawkes link but the tweets are all genuine). This dude asked an Arab activist I know (Oz Katerji) "do you support Al-Qaeda?". Oz commented afterwards that he'd never experienced outright bigoted abuse like that from the Tories.

I think JC and his supporters will shape the culture of the party for a long time. In a lot of ways, they flourish in opposition, doing best when insulated from the realities of being in power.

What I find sad is that I can imagine an alternate recent past where the Left saw past its collective blindness and supported the revolution in Syria. It could've been a popular cause, just as the struggle for Palestinian rights is. Instead we've got blank ignorance at best and active support for genocide and war crimes at worst.

Last edited:

sufi

lala
next up: acid corbynism
acid-corbynism.jpg
wahey!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
If "the youth" came out en masse for Corbyn how do we square that with the fact that young people overwhelmingly voted Remain?

Young people may have mainly voted Labour but it's looking like the so-called 'youthquake' was largely a media invention:

http://www.britishelectionstudy.com...of-the-2017-youthquake-election/#.WorDmK5l-Uk

blog-turnout.png

A modest, though statistically significant, increase in turnout since 2015 among voters aged between their late 20s and late 30s (still nothing like the turnout in this or any other election among the over-60s, mind), but little change among voters younger than that, and if anything a sight decrease in turnout among voters aged 22 and under.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
so who did the Russians back in the UK GE, seems unlikely they would not have bothered?

Given the choice between Tories and a Corbyn-led Labour, I can't see any reason they'd prefer the former.

But Russian interest in UK politics is probably far more centred on Brexit than on which party happens to be in power when Brexit actually happens. Let's not forget the pivotal role played by a certain frog-faced fuck in both the Leave campaign and the Russia-WikiLeaks-Trump conspiracy: https://www.theguardian.com/comment...nnon-farage-bound-together-in-unholy-alliance

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
A quote I vaguely recall from someone (Bill Browder maybe?) is that Putin et al have no ideology to advance and just work to disrupt and cause chaos. Corbyn seems to me the biggest challenge to the established way of doing things, so you'd maybe expect some backing there but I've encountered zero evidence for this so far. There's much more clustered around Aaron Banks, Farage and Brexit. Carole Calldwallar and Open Democracy are doing great work here but there's no appetite from either party to start questioning the legitimacy of the Brexit vote: https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/br...nvestigating-dark-money-that-funded-brexit-me

sufi

lala
Doesnt Corbyn's public ambivalence on Brexit, and secret Lexiteering place him close to that camp?
I dont think there's much appetite for thinking this through anywhere... a win for May was also in the interest of a chaotic Brexit, so a narrow loss for Jeremy was ideal really
Whether delivered by Cambridge Analytica, Internet Research Agency or the shadowy online legions of Momentum, successful exploitation of democracy online smells different from genuine popular vote

Last edited:

sufi

lala
Doesnt Corbyn's public ambivalence on Brexit, and secret Lexiteering place him close to that camp?
I dont think there's much appetite for thinking this through anywhere... a win for May was also in the interest of a chaotic Brexit, so a narrow loss for Jeremy was ideal really
Whether delivered by Cambridge Analytica, Internet Research Agency or the shadowy online legions of Momentum, successful exploitation of democracy online smells different from genuine popular vote

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-general-election-for-jeremy-corbyn-zffv8652x
_101087980_sundaytimesapril29.jpg
Erm i think we heard it here first

Last edited:

droid

Yeah, and last week the Times' front page was 'Jeremy Corbyn's hate factory' because some people said bad things in facebook groups he has no control over or input to.

The fact is the British media is completely untrustworthy when it comes to Corbyn (who has been vocally in favour of swingeing attacks on Russian money in London, remember), especially a few days before local elections.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I do wonder whether the Windrush 'immigrants' scandal is doing the Tories as much harm as the anti-Semitism thing is doing to Labour - to the extent that these things can be quantified. I mean, it certainly should be.

Last edited:

sufi

lala
Yeah, and last week the Times' front page was 'Jeremy Corbyn's hate factory' because some people said bad things in facebook groups he has no control over or input to.

The fact is the British media is completely untrustworthy when it comes to Corbyn (who has been vocally in favour of swingeing attacks on Russian money in London, remember), especially a few days before local elections.
Yeah I've not read the piece actually, just spotted it in the shops and wanted to gloat my foresight ❌

droid

I do wonder whether the Windrush 'immigrants' scandal is doing the Tories as much harm as the anti-Semitism thing is doing to Labour - to the extent that these things can be quantified. I mean, it certainly should be.

Are you seriously suggesting that a coordinated racist campaign to deport thousands of black British citizens under false pretences should be treated with the same seriousness as an ambiguous one line comment under a facebook post from 6 years ago?