Jeremy Corbyn

sadmanbarty

Corbyn's schtick was that New Labour triangulated at the expense of working people. With his positions on the single market, a 2nd referendum, tax and benefits he's done just that.

DDK9da9XUAEg2Yh.jpg

To be fair though his dog whistles to remainers are good politics in the short run, though not very sustainable.

firefinga

If "the youth" came out en masse for Corbyn how do we square that with the fact that young people overwhelmingly voted Remain?

I'd assume many of them simply are not on good terms with consistency and logics. Others may know that corbyn is all but staunch Remainer, but rated other bits of his policies higher than that issue. And some might have just come to the conclusion that Brexit will go on and happen, regardless.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I'd assume many of them simply are not on good terms with consistency and logics. Others may know that corbyn is all but staunch Remainer, but rated other bits of his policies higher than that issue. And some might have just come to the conclusion that Brexit will go on and happen, regardless.

I'd add voting for a cuddly outsider who has never had to deal with the compromises that being in power involves. He did campaign well to give him credit.

sadmanbarty

in the LP manifesto

A Labour approach to Brexit also means legislating to guarantee that Parliament has a truly meaningful vote on the final Brexit deal.

We will scrap the Conservatives’ Brexit White Paper and replace it with fresh negotiating priorities that have a strong emphasis on retaining the benefits of the Single market and the Customs Union – which are essential for maintaining industries, jobs and businesses in
Britain. Labour will always put jobs and the economy first.

droid

Challenged you on this earlier in the thread Barty, but I would suggest it would be prudent to be careful bandying around those IFS graphs as fact.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A very telling stat I read somewhere is that "2/3 of Labour voters voted Remain, but 2/3 of Labour constituencies voted Leave". In other words, nearly everyone voted Remain in inner London and Labour's other safer-than-safe seats, many of them in relatively prosperous cities in the South, often with big student populations - but most people (including most Labour voters) voted Leave in the party's erstwhile 'heartlands', i.e. ex-industrial and still mainly working-class towns and cities in the Midlands, much of the North and most of Wales. So the party's in an impossible position, really, of having to try not to lose any more of its traditional base, while pursuing a policy that most of its members don't want.

I have to say, the ability of so many naturally Europhile people in Team Jezza to pretty much just block their ears and go "Na na na na na" when it comes to Corbyn's position on Brexit is a bit mystifying.

Edit: Dan is also correct that there's Brexit and then there's Brexit, and it's worrying to see that JC's ideal version seems not to differ in any substantial respect from May's.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
Off top of my head - 63% of Lab voters and 90% of Labour members voted Remain. It's hardly a marginal position in the party, or for Labour voters, the rights or wrongs of Chukka's actions nonwithstanding. If "the youth" came out en masse for Corbyn how do we square that with the fact that young people overwhelmingly voted Remain? And lest we forgot leaving the single market was not on the ballot paper. If we are going to go Brexit, why go with the most destructive interpretation of it?

I can't see how we can have a huge increase in public spending while at the same time blowing up the foundational pillars of our economy.

The fact that a low rent nazi is cheering him on surely should give his supporters pause.

And yet, all the polls I've seen suggest that the majority of the country doesn't want another referendum.

And the parties opposing Brexit completely tanked in the election.

I'm not saying any of this is right or wrong but you can see the logic...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The Lib Dems are the only major (ha...) party with a UK-wide presence with a leadership that is actively in favour of remaining in the EU, so I imagine many liberal or left-liberal people would have voted for them had it not been for A) the sheer awfulness of the Tories and the fact that Labour, for all its problems, is the only single party that can realistically stand up to them (and let's face it, this 'progressive alliance' was always a pipe dream), and B) the lingering taint of their recent coalition with that same party, shedding which will take them many years, if they ever achieve it.

john eden

male pale and stale
The Greens also tanked but this may (or may not) have been because some of their candidates stood aside to make way for progressive Labour ones.

They lead on a second referendum on the leaflet I got though.

DannyL

Wild Horses
And yet, all the polls I've seen suggest that the majority of the country doesn't want another referendum.

And the parties opposing Brexit completely tanked in the election.

I'm not saying any of this is right or wrong but you can see the logic...

People don't want yet another divisive political campaign, for sure. Even the election seemed to greeted with another weary shrug. This is not the same as endorsing the course we appear to be on though.

john eden

male pale and stale
People don't want yet another divisive political campaign, for sure. Even the election seemed to greeted with another weary shrug. This is not the same as endorsing the course we appear to be on though.

Oh I agree. I think people are going to grin and bear it for now though.

As the Brexit deal progresses and the reality sinks in things will get more messy.

vimothy

yurp
Oh I agree. I think people are going to grin and bear it for now though.

As the Brexit deal progresses and the reality sinks in things will get more messy.

That's correct and it's something the author of the article Danny posted earlier discusses. Appealing to the pro-Brexit, working class vote makes a definite tactical sense, and it's thanks to Corbnyn's force of personality (or if you like, media image) that he's been able to do this, but it's going to be increasingly hard to maintain the compromise between "red UKIP" and pro-remain students and professionals as reality approaches.

DannyL

Wild Horses
That's correct and it's something the author of the article Danny posted earlier discusses. Appealing to the pro-Brexit, working class vote makes a definite tactical sense, and it's thanks to Corbnyn's force of personality (or if you like, media image) that he's been able to do this, but it's going to be increasingly hard to maintain the compromise between "red UKIP" and pro-remain students and professionals as reality approaches.

I think the one thing that might work in Corbyn's favour is the latter group have nowhere to place their vote. This is certainly what I feel like (and one of the reasons I don't like Corbyn's takeover of the Labour party, though I recognise it's delivered other positives). There's no one I can back who reflects anything close to a anti-Brexit position.