I need to listen to something different

Leo

Currently a bit bored with the music I own, need to liven things up with some new artists/tunes. Any genre, new or old.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

[I vaguely recall an old thread along these lines but couldn't find it...]

trza

I recommend listening to radio music from your "glory days" over and over again. Then get into arguments with young kids who don't understand what good music is.

sufi

lala
this may perk you up somewhat...
Mario (Franco) - Franco & le T.P. O.K. Jazz Télé Zaire 1986

about a naughty badboy called Mario, who comes to a sticky end

(that's from i think my 4th set of glory days)

griftert

I recommend listening to current popular music. Especially if you usually ignore it. I even quite like some Justin Bieber stuff.

Numbers

I recommend listening to radio music from your "glory days" over and over again. Then get into arguments with young kids who don't understand what good music is.

I found Sherburne's Pitchfork primer on '90s IDM very helpful in that regard.

In all seriousness, I noticed a very positive plus-side to the feeling Leo describes and I recognise myself as well. For me it means more personal autonomy in what I chose to listen and like. I am not at all anymore victim to lusting for the most recent stuff only, which I partly was in the past. It is much easier to indicate what I like, in general. Negative side is that when newness doesn't suffice to make music thrilling and the 'need for new' is gone, you're facing the more difficult task of finding good music regardless of publication year/month/week.

Maybe I am just venting and projecting into something what Leo never wrote, so never mind.

Leo

I found Sherburne's Pitchfork primer on '90s IDM very helpful in that regard.

In all seriousness, I noticed a very positive plus-side to the feeling Leo describes and I recognise myself as well. For me it means more personal autonomy in what I chose to listen and like. I am not at all anymore victim to lusting for the most recent stuff only, which I partly was in the past. It is much easier to indicate what I like, in general. Negative side is that when newness doesn't suffice to make music thrilling and the 'need for new' is gone, you're facing the more difficult task of finding good music regardless of publication year/month/week.

Maybe I am just venting and projecting into something what Leo never wrote, so never mind.

interesting perspective, thanks.

and thanks everyone for the suggestions. still searching but a good start.

Leo

Different from what Leo?

ha...well, see, i almost think it's better that i not say, wouldn't want to influence what anyone might suggest. like most people here, i listen to a broad range of things.

trza

Just listen to new music made by the same people you liked when you were younger. I'm not sure what generation of music you are from. But the music industry is much kinder to older, past their prime musicians who still have a fanbase. Now they can make money from their older and established following. Back in the day a past their time artist would literally be kicked out of studios or venues. It seems like very day I read about some decades old artist with a new album out.

bruno

est malade
interesting perspective, thanks.

and thanks everyone for the suggestions. still searching but a good start.

some ideas:

cinematic/propulsive pet shop boys-produced/assisted pop (because why not?)

boy george - the crying game
eighth wonder - i'm not scared
pet shop boys - i'm not scared; + the whole of introspective
electronic - disappointed
etc

70s soundtracks/library music. a potentially endless supply of this, healthy reissue situation for the early giallo/italian end but spotty for the end of the decade and france. some can be found for next to nothing, others the opposite.. if penniless there is always soulseek/blogs/youtube to infuse your life with music, some favourites:

francis lai, emmanuelle II 1975
james dashow, oedipus orca 1976
late 70s morricone: dedicato al mare egeo 1979, l'immoralità 1978 and il deserto dei tartari 1979.
bruno nicolai, perché quelle strane gocce di sangue../case of the bloody iris 1971
a recent find is egisto macchi of nuova consonanza (the outfit shared with morricone, evangelisti) who i did not know before the several (semi-available) reissues, see voix, il deserto, sei composizioni.
also on a library tip: m zalla (piero umiliani), problemi d'oggi.

ryuichi sakamoto
polystyle and edward turned me on to him in an old thread, there is so much to discover, some favourites:

furyo/merry chistmas mr. lawrence.
nhk century of reform (mentioned by polystyle, thank you wherever you are).
left handed dream
bamboo houses split with sylvian

gabor lazar
terrific (recent) rhythmic music that sounds utterly alien, see his ep 16, ils and lp with mark fell.

i leave you with the credits to oedipus orca as the earth trembles (we are having some aftershocks):

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Obviously it all depends on what your habitual listening is, but I found that a couple of weeks of listening mostly to classical, free jazz and a bit of experimental that I would never usually go for, both broadened my musical horizons and reinvigorated my love for the music I more generally tend towards. For me, it was combined with delving back into (fairly basic) music theory, and working out how, say, Satie or Bill Evans improvisations are put together. It gave me a different perspective from previously.

Sakomoto is a great call, too, or any key musical figure with a big oeuvre/lots of different projects with different people who you've never explored before.

Leo

excellent suggestions, bruno and baboon, appreciate it.

funny you both mention sakomoto, he's a guy i've always heard great things about and meant to explore over the years but never actually did. perhaps now is my chance.

Trillhouse

All of YMO Sakomoto, Yukihiro Takahashi, Haruomi Hosono & Hideki Matsutake are all worth exploring in depth. Sakomoto & Hosono especially have very rewarding & massive back catalogues that can easily enough be found on the internet. If you then go into everybody they've worked with, you could be there a LONG time. Hosono's production work is well worth delving into though.

Relatively recently they both collaborated with Ichiko Aoba, one of my favourite contemporary Japanese artists.
-

Alternatively, a good way of searching out something new is to pick a genre you're interested in and a country whose music you're not entirely familiar with, search for what exists out there & see where it takes you.

bruno

est malade
excellent suggestions, bruno and baboon, appreciate it.

funny you both mention sakomoto, he's a guy i've always heard great things about and meant to explore over the years but never actually did. perhaps now is my chance.

you're welcome, leo. for a disco angle on sakamoto/ymo/etc see this thread. the trouble with these threads is that tend to be short and die out, we should keep this one going.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
All of YMO Sakomoto, Yukihiro Takahashi, Haruomi Hosono & Hideki Matsutake are all worth exploring in depth. Sakomoto & Hosono especially have very rewarding & massive back catalogues that can easily enough be found on the internet. If you then go into everybody they've worked with, you could be there a LONG time. Hosono's production work is well worth delving into though.

Relatively recently they both collaborated with Ichiko Aoba, one of my favourite contemporary Japanese artists.

Alternatively, a good way of searching out something new is to pick a genre you're interested in and a country whose music you're not entirely familiar with, search for what exists out there & see where it takes you.

Good point about Hosono. Apologies for ILX, but this thread http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?boardid=41&threadid=81134 is wonderful (scroll down and it starts to widen out from YMO to other Japanese new wave)