I need to listen to something different

DannyL

Wild Horses
I got Sakamoto's Esperanto LP this week and it's absolutely brilliant. Kinda like weird avant-garde 80s hip hop. Soundtrack for a ballet I think? Absolutely second the Hosono rec. If you want to hear more of that sort of sound, "Fairlights, Mallets and Bamboo" (mix) is a pretty good starting place.

And if you'll forgive me for self-promotion, I did a radio show on the Ocora back cataloge. Might be fairly alien to you (it is to most people). Forgive me if you are totally down with field recordings:

Leo

well, this is doing it at the moment.

Over the course of several months, Áine O'Dwyer was given access to the pipe organ in St Mark’s Church, Islington while the cleaners were at work. Primarily a harpist, this was a rare opportunity to grapple with the "king of instruments" and apply her sense of melodic, structured improvisation in a very different context.

Since it's impossible to exert complete control over such a recording environment, she entered into the sessions with a Cagean mindset, embracing the extra-musical sounds.This gave the recordings a unique character and concept. With the door left open to serendipity, it can seem that the sonic environment coalesces in sympathetic harmony. Here, the synth-like whoosh of the vacuum cleaner, a child's laughter, various echoed clatters and chatter become part of the music.

http://mie.limitedrun.com/products/537633-aine-odwyer-music-for-church-cleaners-vol-i-and-ii-2lp

Last edited:

droid

Dammit. Ive had that on my phone for the last year or so. Even played bits of it out.