HAMERON

droid

It is amazing that we live in a world where revelations of necrophiliac bestiality isnt a firing offence for a prime minister. Still, there is potential for this to be a perennial Lewinsky type cloud over his head. Twitter needs to go real world on this.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The thing is, as it stands it's easily dismissed as "nonsense" - a fantastical lie invented by a snubbed former ally. Making the claim in the first place was Ashcroft's Little Boy; if and when he wants to finish the job he has his Fat Man in reserve - an actual photograph of the actual incident!.

Or so he claims. If he did provide it, that would pretty remarkable, wouldn't it? You can't Photoshop a printed photograph taken 30-odd years ago!

Edit: oh, I hadn't realized the photo was so many steps removed from Ashcroft. Shame.

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
TBF the standard of evidence against him isn't amazing: a non-dom millionaire peer who has it in for him claims that he once spoke to an unnamed MP who said that he saw a picture. This is probably why a lot of the press aren't going all out with it either.

To be honest, though, I'm still amazed that we live in a world where being David bloody Cameron isn't a firing offence for a prime minister.

Here's another decent bit about what all this actually means in relation to class and political elites:
http://theleveller.org/2015/09/british-really-laughing/
although I'd contend that we are mostly still laughing because the idea of a Tory prime minister knobbing a dead pig is fucking hilarious.

droid

TBF the standard of evidence against him isn't amazing: a non-dom millionaire peer who has it in for him claims that he once spoke to an unnamed MP who said that he saw a picture. This is probably why a lot of the press aren't going all out with it either.

That is probably some small part of it, though if this was Corbyn they would figure out some way to beam it into everyone's minds 24/7 until we collectively tore him limb from limb in a frenzied orgiastic media induced trance.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Huh, it seemed reasonable to me. And I really liked:

Cameron’s best bet might be to seek refuge in a kosher deli. In the West Bank. For about 50 billion years.

droid

This is laughable.

A loftier precept looms large: A wealthy man cannot be allowed to mortify the Prime Minister from office simply because someone told him No. When the chortling dies down, and Twitter moves on to its next distraction, we will have to begin a serious conversation about the power of the mega-rich in Britain. If Lord Ashcroft felt entitled to a senior ministerial role because of his bulging wallet, then that is intolerable. It is a short walk from the Cabinet room to the Prime Minister’s office.

Yes, we have to have a serious conversation about political influence of the mega rich in Britain before things go too far.

Also completely misses the difference between concerted and relentless media fabrications against Corbyn vs an (at least semi) credible isolated smear on Cameron which is practically banned from the airwaves.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Come on, you've gratuitously added the "...before things go too far".

If we're talking about slurs and smears, the situation as far as I can see is:

There is as yet no hard evidence Jeremy Corbyn is best buds with anti-Semitic loonies, but people are saying it nonetheless.
There is as yet no hard evidence David Cameron got dead-pig-head 30-odd years ago, but people are saying it nonetheless.

Obviously, I'd very much love the former to be untrue and the latter to be true. Yes, the press (including those parts of it that are supposedly left-wing) have gone for Corbyn in predictably predatory fashion but that doesn't cancel out the fact that the sole reason everyone is making necro-bestiality jokes about an incumbent Prime Minister is because a multi-millionaire felt short-changed over the position he was offered in return for huge financial support to the Tory party.

droid

Come on, you've gratuitously added the "...before things go too far".

The suggestion that this situation is some kind of bellwether as to the influence of the mega rich on politics (which I think is what he means) is, as I said, laughable.

If we're talking about slurs and smears, the situation as far as I can see is:

There is as yet no hard evidence Jeremy Corbyn is best buds with anti-Semitic loonies, but people are saying it nonetheless.
There is as yet no hard evidence David Cameron got dead-pig-head 30-odd years ago, but people are saying it nonetheless.

Oh come on. Corbyn has had about 50 million articles criticising and smearing him over the last few months. There is no comparison in scale. The 'anti-semite' accusation is one of many.

The lack of mainstream coverage of this, and the various other accusations in the book as compared to the coverage of Cameron is an almost lab quality illustration of media's relationship with power. See also, Alex Salmond and the Scottish referendum, and Tsipras and the greek deal, where editors were so desperately looking for sleaze that you could hear the noise of fleet street eyeballs straining and hacks rummaging through bins hundreds of miles away.

Obviously, I'd very much love the former to be untrue and the latter to be true. Yes, the press (including those parts of it that are supposedly left-wing) have gone for Corbyn in predictably predatory fashion but that doesn't cancel out the fact that the sole reason everyone is making necro-bestiality jokes about an incumbent Prime Minister is because a multi-millionaire felt short-changed over the position he was offered in return for huge financial support to the Tory party.

And also because it may actually have happened, and the only way dirt from inside the rich boys club gets exposed is if a rich boy gets pissed off at the other toffs.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well, yes, the British press is overwhelmingly conservative, obviously. But I wonder if the official press, as powerful as it still is, is *as* powerful as it was a generation ago? Consider how quickly Pig-Gate has propagated via social media. You no longer need to read about something in the Times, Guardian or whatever, or watch it on the BBC or any other channel, to know it's going on. When I looked at Facebook on my phone on Monday morning it was wall-to-wall pigfuckery, and I hadn't even got out of bed!

However I take your point about murky secrets involving the top tier of the Establishment being able to be made public only people who are, or were, part of that milieu themselves (other than abuse victims, of course, who understandably are often very reluctant to come forward).

Last edited:

firefinga

Well, yes, the British press is overwhelmingly conservative, obviously. But I wonder if the official press, as powerful as it still is, is *as* powerful as it was a generation ago? Consider how quickly Pig-Gate has propagated via social media. You no longer need to read about something in the Times, Guardian or whatever, or watch it on the BBC or any other channel, to know it's going on. When I looked at Facebook on my phone on Monday morning it was wall-to-wall pigfuckery, and I hadn't even got out of bed!

you wil lsee how powerLESS (anti)social media really is. Pig-Gate might be on all the twitter/FB feeds for one or two days, and then what? nothing will happen then. (Anti)social media helps undermine "classic" media, but it's unable to produce a better substitute.

luka

It hasn't produced a replacement to msm but they are useful adjuncts to one another at the very least. Social media has a relationship with msm analogous to that between radio one and radio Caroline circa 1960-whatever

Last edited: