Thread: Equiknoxx and weird dancehall

Default Equiknoxx and weird dancehall

playing catch up with this

BUT

just to go on the record to say how much I love last year's "Colon Man" and the previous "Bird Sound Power"

this seems like genuine yard music which is genuinely strange. i'm incredibly suspicious (ridiculously so) of music which i feel is pushing my avant-lumpen buttons. but this stuff isn't cynical - it's just ART imho

i mean, historically, there's plenty of strange aspects to dancehall riddims (please post weird weirditties as youtube links if you have em) but the Equiknoxx stuff must be royalty now.

naturally it'd be nice to hear MCs and singers on these riddims - but for the time being i'm very happy :-D

i really like both of those albums, although i feel like they're hyped by the intellectual/hipster axis (the wire, pitchfork, boomkat, etc.) as opposed to anyone who actually listens to dancehall. that shouldn't distract from my appreciation of the music but unfortunately it sometimes does.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

I liked Bird Sound Power a lot, but found Colón Man pretty dull. The Mark Ernestus remixes are really, really good.

@Woebot: There are vocalists on their FACT mix and I enjoyed it a lot more than any of the releases - http://www.factmag.com/2016/08/29/equiknoxx-fact-mix/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

I'm on the fence on both Equiknoxx LPs too... some great bits on Bird Sound for me, Colon Man didn't click (yet).

Other things that come to mind, all with their very different take, but clearly weirdo/experimental, and taking things from dancehall one way or another imo.

Ilpo Väisänen's (half of Pan Sonic / Panasonic) Piiri name/alter ego/project/whatever from the late 90s/early 00s
    Piiri - ABS

His much more recent I-LP-O In Dub moniker seems to be reviving that legacy somewhat

DJ Python is self labelled as 'deep reggaeton'... but since reggaeton is based on a dancehall riddim in turn...

Emptyset has a few dancehall rhythm based bits, alas traditional dancehall fans would run screaming at a guess... for me this hits the right spot tho.

And, the dutch pop/bubblin/tropical/reggaeton scene is pumping out the occasional surprise

Puri x JHORRMOUNTAIN x Adje - Coño

A few others that carved out their own niche more or less with dancehall aestetics/rhythms more or less often, but should be well known around here - The Bug, Gaika, Deadbeat, Poirier... a

c.
    Last edited by alec.tron; 16-03-2018 at 08:25 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to alec.tron For This Useful Post:

Few weird riddims from within the dancehall mainstream:

Sizzurp

Arrhythmia

...and this one-away acid insanity

Loved Bird Sound Power. Not had chance to listen to new one that much, but hasn't grabbed me in quite the same way.

Was a bit obsessed with that Fact mix when it came out.

This Fader mix from end of last year is also great:

http://www.thefader.com/2017/12/20/f...knoxx-gavsborg

They just had a Red Bull Music interview thing too:

You can find a lot of their stuff on digital- often w/vocals:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/artist/e...usic/460191373

Agree with the view that this is Yard music and it is GOOD. 'Babylon system going to fall a part'
    Last edited by matt b; 17-03-2018 at 07:45 PM.

I have to say Ive been quite ambivalent about their stuff. Was very excited when I first read about them but felt quite underwhelmed when I finally heard them. I have a thing for avant 90's dancehall and it just seemed far less radical than the mainstream stuff from that time.

Good to see a big up of rap pon riddim. Crazy tune and one of tigers last IIRC.

Ive been collecting freaky versions for years - not too many riddim instrumentals on YT though, especially the more obscure ones which tend to be the most bizarre and ramshackle. Did a little mini mix here which I never got round to expanding to full length.

http://www.weareie.com/2008/10/bloga...rs-of-90s.html

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Aye, the 90s!

A handful more... here's 2 from the late 80s digi era

Professor Grizzly - Fight The Professor

Tony Tuff - She Bouncing

And some from the early/mid 90s jugglin/dembow

Trevor Levy - Kill Them On The Border on an especially 'water-y'/acid-y mastered version of Far East Riddim

Powerman - Gal A Wah So on All Fruits Ripe

And a few from the late 90s/00s, which produced some of my favourite reduced/minimal/syncopated riddims

Splash

Sign

Diesel

among others like All Purpose, Kasablanca, Grasscyat, Now Thing, Threat, Battery, Night Crawler...
    Last edited by alec.tron; 18-03-2018 at 02:04 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to alec.tron For This Useful Post:

Couple more:

Always loved the slo-mo soca/kwaito vibe on this:

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bassbeyondreason For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by matt b View Post
    Loved Bird Sound Power. Not had chance to listen to new one that much, but hasn't grabbed me in quite the same way.
    thanks for posting that interview.

i like the new one just as much if not more: "Enter A Raffle Win A Falafel"

some of my fave weird stuff in here: