DLaurent

In general even more dull than Berghain stuff. It's just a nice vibe to the set with 2 DJs playing off each other. Doubt he's solely responsible for it.

Leo

even more dull than Berghain stuff

off topic of this convo but...

tbf, listening to an online mix of "berghain stuff" on dinky computer speakers is pretty self-defeating. it's a old dance music cliché to say "you have to hear it in a club, over a loud system" but that's absolutely the case with that stuff. it's not my favorite music but can sound pretty great when played in the environment for which it was created.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Is it him n drum code who are responsible for that boring drongkng reverbed kick berghain techno shit?

Yes. not solely responsible but for the most part yes. they made rob hood and jeff mills minimal techno white beyond the pale by squeezing all the funk out of it. hood and mills were totally ferocious, confrontational in the 90s.

Surgeon was still good for a long time. was actually listening to his glade set the other day, it's a good un. ironically he was on the post-dubstep sort of ting in 06 lol. wel more vex'd but you know...

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

Or Randall using the term 'jungle' in 1989

this is what im saying, guys like randall and hype played dark and rugged in 89-90-91, the *overwhelming* pianos and chipmunks was a short lived phase in 92.

And even then you couldn't play an entire set of pianos in 92 on a london pirate - or at least I haven't heard anyway, whereas some of the northern rave scenes were rinky dinky italian biz all the way. london was the hardcore of 89, unless you were paul oakenfold but the less said about him the better. which is my bone to pick with the orthodoxy accrued around rave. 93 was in some senses a return to 91, itself a return to 88-89. obviously overwhelming changes happened hence i don't want to say entire return because 93 was definitely qualitatively different than 91.

But listening to that set you can't say that london was lightweight at this time.

Last edited:

luka

What is the orthodoxy? I'm not aware of any orthodoxy really but I don't read fact magazine. Darkness has always been around cos if you keep pressing the pleasure button you stop getting pleasure and start getting something very terrible, you get anguish, you get the revelation of the dark side. Overdo the drink or and the drugs, forego sleep and proper food, keep seeking intense, ecstatic experience and the piper turns up, demanding to be paid. It's inescapable.

luka

This is the meaning of the zone of fruitless intensification. When what used to be benign takes on a sinister aspect. When what used to fun becomes frightening. What seemed like entertainment becomes dystopian social engineering. When the implicit violence of society is revealed. The naked lunch.

luka

You ask your bodymind for pleasure, you press the button and you realise there's nothing there. That you are now among the cursed of the earth. This is one of the most horrifying and anguishing experiences.

Anyway, how's everyone's morning been?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
What is the orthodoxy? I'm not aware of any orthodoxy really but I don't read fact magazine. Darkness has always been around cos if you keep pressing the pleasure button you stop getting pleasure and start getting something very terrible, you get anguish, you get the revelation of the dark side. Overdo the drink or and the drugs, forego sleep and proper food, keep seeking intense, ecstatic experience and the piper turns up, demanding to be paid. It's inescapable.

njoi - anthem, baby d let me be your fantasy, and loads of cheesy plinky plonky tunes.

I know some people got off in 92 and made a pivot to dark techno to align with the 89-91 vibe, you can imagine it, 'the rudebwoys are coming in the rave, etc etc, it's all over chipmunky ragga-y skittering productions,' and it's like no mate, stick with it because things are gonna get way, way better by the winter of 92 for christ's sake...

whereas the fact mag types just have no idea of 87-91. that's simply it. for them rave begins with it going pop.

I'm the opposite. I see the formation in 87-91 and think 92 was a transition year - I do love the chipmunk stuff but not in a provincial way, i like the way we do it in london where there was still the manic energy in 92, (well you know what i mean most of the tunes were on white before 93) and dark was the full potential realised of the UK merger of reggae with house/techno. a lot of factmag types can't really go into the darkside, because they see rave as pop music first and foremost, that's why when anything dark sounding comes along they always default to the industrial music narritive.

this is london ya dorset cunts.

droid

Dunno if I ever posted these here. A top drawer recreation of the 80's UK reggae radio experience made by an acquaintance a couple of years back.

luka

There's always been people with no clue who use the term 'rave' and yes to mean what you're saying injected with the poison, all the bait live pa stuff, people who just think of it as fairground music but that's not an orthodoxy so much as complete ignorance. 'Rave music' Inspector Morse.

luka

This is one reason I enjoyed the television series, Stranger Things, in which the upside-down is this revelation, reached in that case through childhood illness. How much depends on us remaining in a kind of Goldilocks biochemical state, and sensory data... how easily background noise becomes intolerably intrusive, the very nearness of our neighbours, how the skin starts itching, how we fall into nightmare.

luka

Paranoid, distrustful, people's faces all seeming deformed, haunted leering carnival faces from an Ensor painting, the world taunting, sadistic, laughing, people deformed, bent out of shape by suffering or desire or evil, this is a very real part of life, we always try and forget it because its horrifying, this hell its so very easy to fall into