Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended mixes and playlists

That Kuedo FACT mix is an exemplary example of a good mix with genre hops

https://soundcloud.com/factmag/fact-mix-288-kuedo

Default wicked saxon mixtape

Last edited by Woebot; 01-11-2015 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    Woebot do you mean that the mix itself has to be wide-ranging musically or that the thread can encompass all sorts of genres
    the latter.

not about genre pile-ups within mixes but stuff from all over the shop - but if they're good - bring 'em on.

My favourite ...mix? Was what Screw was doing, can that be called that? But my favourite is this anyway, 27th June, it's just amazing. Relentless, endless, eternal.

This guy has a record shop in St Ouen flea market in Paris. I bought a few things off him when I was there, and then found him online. Great shop, and some killer mixes. This one is all French West Indies gear. Totally unknown to me, all killer.

https://soundcloud.com/boulo/disjoke...ch-west-indies

Quote Originally Posted by mistersloane View Post
    My favourite ...mix? Was what Screw was doing, can that be called that? But my favourite is this anyway, 27th June, it's just amazing. Relentless, endless, eternal.
    sooo good. It's like the E2-E4 of southern rap or something, unclassifiable, glorious repetition.

https://soundcloud.com/djrupture/dj-...c-1-cumbia-mix i thought I didn't like cumbia.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 02-11-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    sooo good. It's like the E2-E4 of southern rap or something, unclassifiable, glorious repetition.
    Great analogy; I've listened to it sooo many times and I still get lost in it in that Terry Riley way, where I can't work out how long I've been listening to it, or what point I'm at in the mix, or how long I've been alive.

how about dean blunt on red light radio before he got big and was perhaps a bit more unguarded about his influences?

https://www.mixcloud.com/RedLightRad...io-11-08-2011/

"downtempo" but i like the variety - Japan / Yoko One / Tuxedomoon / bullion covering robert wyatt, bits of dub and his own stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Woebot View Post
    Appreciate it matt thank you

Quote Originally Posted by catalog View Post
    how about dean blunt on red light radio before he got big and was perhaps a bit more unguarded about his influences?

https://www.mixcloud.com/RedLightRad...io-11-08-2011/

"downtempo" but i like the variety - Japan / Yoko One / Tuxedomoon / bullion covering robert wyatt, bits of dub and his own stuff.
    yes that's brilliant. that's a hit for me. thanks catalog.

this is an excellent 92-era mix.

some really good lesser-known tracks in there too.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Not really a fan of Bukem as a producer, but this is one of the best jungle mixes ever recorded during the golden years
    nice mix droid. enjoyed that, thanks.

i would say that it's pretty much *exactly* typical of bukem's mix-style (not remotely uncharacteristic of him) and descriptive of his production style too. i think perhaps you're being a bit wary of the trendy dissensus speed backlash...

unlike metalheadz in hoxton square (always distinctly meh - went once in the first month, hated it) for a long time speed was incredibly exciting. i went to all the events in those days: paradise garage, awol, voodoo magic and it can only be time tourists who weren't actually around, or guys still at school, who slag speed off.

i was there on the opening night - there were only five of us - magic times. ok, after by "pulp fiction" it was over - but that took a long time.

Dont get me wrong, he's an excellent DJ. Long, precise mixes with synced up progressions and little touches on the kills and faders. His style was a big influence on Naphta and by osmosis, myself.

GLR though, I think is one of the most overrated of the classic labels. Some absolute bangers early on, but the energy petered out very quickly.

I imagine the physical reality of speed was much more exciting than what its come to symbolise, if only by virtue of the fact that there was nowhere else really dedicated to the deeper end of jungle when it started.

I have heard some amazing stories from Metalheadz TBF, but it was almost a different era.

Some reminisces from your junglist days would be welcome if youre ever stuck for blog ideas.

Was Speed the one in the wine bar by Holburn station?

Merlin Bobb on WBLS, the mid-eighties.

https://500mileshigh.wordpress.com/2...king-day-1986/

This was broadcast on Martin Luther King Day 1986. House was still the young pretender. This is still a very New York sound, taking in the cream of older bits from Prelude, Gold Mind and European stuff from the likes of Robotnik, in between the jacking. Real Friday night stuff.

There are a few things that take me most about this era; people were really starting to master DJing and exploit drum machines and samplers. Competition must have been fierce. New York sound systems were probably the best in the world and the possibilities of these new machines were really being pushed. The clatter of claps, toms and cowbells must really have been the ardkore of its day. Like thunder compared to the snare rolls all over the place at the moment. There is a video of the closing party at the garage on youtube and when Larry drops Adonis - 'too far gone' it sounds so alien and enormous compared to even the most opulent disco produced by old masters in multimillion dollar studios.

There are certain great combinations through the years; 808/303, 909/Korg M1, Amen/Reese, etc. This period as far I can make out from this mix, is the tail end of Oberheim DMX drum and Prophet keys. (Flash 'The Message', David Joseph 'You Can't Hide Your Love', Levan's Weekend mix, various Kevorkian staples, etc) This mix really represents how there was real burst forward in several directions in years between disco going back underground and that NYC club sound getting a bit codified and more tasteful with the rise of garage house proper. Offbeat disco and cutting-edge electro could be found at the same office at Sleeping Bag records and all that.

I find the whole attitude and approach so different to what is held up now and how the song based nature of things acted as a kind of anchor, allowing more coherent blend of styles and Bobb does an exceptional job here. The mixing is superb. He's one DJ that I feel didn't get enough recognition as other names are remembered.
    Last edited by Sectionfive; 06-11-2015 at 02:15 AM.