Woebot

And cosmic deep space mixes, really far out past the belt of orion mixes. Perhaps you've made one matt?

this one is an old one of mine. must be nearly 20 years old.

not the full far-out alice coltrane/la monte young/krautrock/music concrete offering - and not a mix but a selection - but still pretty close.

you'll like it though.

oh and while im here - this is a really great old one. a classic in our family/household:

luka

Remember you (justifiably) raving about that live chameleon on one of your blogs

Woebot

this guy, lots to like, thanks woebot (immediately puts off lots of other people clicking on link...)

ha ha jenks :D

good stuff though. good on his soul. good wide vision of the field. not too obscure (which could be a weakness but is likely a strength). and yep a good straightforward character.

sadmanbarty

It's been a couple of years since the end of Footwork's golden age (or at least when it lost my interest). That's enough time for me to revisit it and enjoy it, rather than be frustrated that it doesn't feel new anymore. Like Jungle and Hardcore, the music's at its most potent in a mix rather than as individual tracks or on an album/compilation.

This mix is particularly impressive:

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
It's been a couple of years since the end of Footwork's golden age (or at least when it lost my interest). That's enough time for me to revisit it and enjoy it, rather than be frustrated that it doesn't feel new anymore. Like Jungle and Hardcore, the music's at its most potent in a mix rather than as individual tracks or on an album/compilation.

This mix is particularly impressive:

I could have written exactly the same but would have linked to this mix: (not a Machinedrum fan btw, but this mix really is what it is)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Oh yeah that DJ Earl mix is great, really draws on jungle/hardcore samples as I recall?

For me footwork was most exciting when it was allied to the actual footwork dancing battles. Think I heard it once or twice in clubs but I never really understood how you could dance to stuff designed for wild dancing without dancing wildly.

rubberdingyrapids

i think it lost its way a bit (for me at least, though it could just be that i selfishly wanted it to remain 'pure', whatever that might mean) when it started to think globally rather than locally, though i didnt hate all the jungle-footwork stuff. though saying that, the jlin album was still excellent. but id be interested to know if its popularity is still the same in chicago, and if the dance battles are still going on as regularly.

sadmanbarty

'pure', whatever that might mean

The bangs and works comps are relatively stark and relatively bleak compared to what came after (I'd say Double Cup exemplifies the other end of the spectrum), so maybe that's what you mean by pure. That might explain why you like Jlin. RP Boo is still making that style too.

rubberdingyrapids

the last rp boo album was really good
i liked the last traxman stuff too
but maybe something is lost when producers start to think of hitting clubs in london rather than inspire dancers in chicago
i never liked double cup very much tbh, way too polished, sedate, and a bit dull overall. god bless the dead and everything, but a lot of rashads soulier stuff left me a bit bored, much as i wanted to like it (its not like i dont like soul music or soul-sampling rap).