thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i do reach a point though (ive just hit it) where i think this is just a vibe though isnt it. just a kind of smug feeling without any dynamics to speak of. the face assembles itself into a kind of curled lip, yeeeah, pout, like youre currently experiencing a nice 6 out of 10 blowjob

anyway im waiting for ur best 80s throwback pirate radio electro rnb/boogie/rare groove mix. so many 80s tribute mixes on mixcloud but how do u know which ones london enough. has to have that alchemy.

luka

ive avoided that area cos it seems a bit overexposed but i know what you mean as far as trying to find the right mixes. theres contemporary stuff like cameron paul (us) and greg something or other from over here for example

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
greg wilson innit, from manchester tho innit! also some dude linked me to some guy called red greg lmao, been meaning to check him out.

Last edited:

continuum

smugpolice

If you are looking for some good entertainment then look no further than this video of last week’s inaugural Sleepin’ Is Cheatin’ live stream. Seemingly an attempt to subvert the Boiler Room machine, the Leeds SIC Records gang have decided to do it themselves instead. This two hour session starts with K.O. Kane warming things up nicely and is followed by Cleary and MC Scorpz who bring a tangible live energy to the event. After this a series of other acts including Vital Techniques, Synx and Ma?k, amongst others, perform or play exciting, unreleased and released music made by themselves and others in thirty minute segments.

What made this whole two hours stand out for me was the obvious proficiency and experience at live DJing that is demonstrated. Early in K.O. Kane’s set he plays a track which has a sample in it that sounds like someone messing about with the volume faders and before this at the very start there is a repeating warmup loop for two or three minutes. Immediately you know that K.O. Kane is preparing us for live performances that will include warm-ups and mistakes that other streaming platforms might not consider okay. There are plenty of other tricks on display such as the overall volume being reduced at strategic points such as in between acts and to change the vibe. The last DJ, Ma?k (or “Question Mark”) displays some incredible mixing skills, slowing tracks down and cutting in new tracks but all with the intention of building back up again or to change the flow of what is happening. Throughout there is no annoyance displayed at mistakes, only an eagerness to build those into the set or for them to be used in order to set up something forthcoming.

droid

A few nice jungle things popped up recently. Hat tip to Simon for these:

Virtually faultless mixing and selection on the history of hardcore mixes:

My mate Pete's excellent Ragga Hardcore/jungle sets:

luka

Im ideologically opposed to retrospective hardcore jungle garage grime mixes. No life in em.

sadmanbarty

that grace point encompassing garage rap and early grime is london in its purest form. using the luka-ammended atemporal shockwave theory, this is the impact point of 'london'. the wave goes in two directions; the jungle direction and the drill one.

droid

No real subjective difference between a well executed & selected studio mix made in 1994 or 2019.

Live sets are another story, but their fetishisation is just another brand of ultra rockist authenticity retro mongering.

luka

Huge subjective difference within the realm of my subjectivity. Also huge objective difference not least of which involves MCs

droid

The best studio mixes... Hype + Peshay's Yaman set, or perhaps the greatest of them all, Bukems Fantasia mix... They could have been recorded anytime in the last 25 years.

sadmanbarty

you need the bit when navigator and gq have to break up a fight or tell everyone to love their mums or something. it sounds all wrong otherwise.