African Sci-Fi

slowtrain

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I actually came here to search for some info, and it seems there is only the front page visible in this section of the forum.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for, not neccessarily African, but anti-/non-racist sci fi (movies)?

I've been watching a few sci-fi films lately but I am just so sick of movies that are about "the problems of white america but really really far away in space"

Obv books are cool too, but they always seem to be much easier to find!

DannyL

Wild Horses
Solaris is the first thing that sprung to mind for me. Based on the novel by Lem and is about encountering the other, and what it means to be human.

I think you could make an argument that sf is an inherently "about the problems of white America in space" 'cos it's an American genre, and is basically American imagining its futures.

slowtrain

Solaris is the first thing that sprung to mind for me. Based on the novel by Lem and is about encountering the other, and what it means to be human.

I think you could make an argument that sf is an inherently "about the problems of white America in space" 'cos it's an American genre, and is basically American imagining its futures.

Too true, but surely there have been other people who've taken the tropes and run with them in the last, what, like fifty years?