IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, certainly during WW1 most people never fired their guns I believe. I think there has been a steady increase in percentage each war but still some people struggle.
What about this ambassador business? Storm in a tea cup I guess compared to the Epstein thing but yet again I'm amazed (I don't know why) by how childishly Trump comes across with his "yeah well this guy is a stupid head anyway" - I do think his role is kind of untenable now though, not his fault but the leak has compromised him.

IdleRich

IdleRich
“The wacky ambassador that the UK foisted upon the United States is not someone we are thrilled with, a very stupid guy,”
“He should speak to his country, and prime minister May, about their failed Brexit negotiation, and not be upset with my criticism of how badly it was handled.
“I told her how to do that deal, but she went her own foolish way – was unable to get it done. A disaster! I don’t know the ambassador but have been told he is a pompous fool. Tell him the USA now has the best economy and military anywhere in the world, by far and they are both only getting bigger, better and stronger.”
Again and again I'm staggered that the president of the fucking United States writes at this level! It's absolutely amazing.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Again and again I'm staggered that the president of the fucking United States writes at this level! It's absolutely amazing.

"I'm great and you're stupid, and you can't say otherwise because I could beat you up if I wanted to", is basically the gist, isn't it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So he's resigned. I had a feeling that that might happen cos his position was untenable... I was kinda hoping he would hang on and force the Tory leader (whoever that might be) to actually make a decision.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, I wonder who leaked it, not BJ I think cos it put him in a tricky position. He had the choice of either backing him against Trump and potentially going up against Trump on becoming PM if there was no resignation... he avoided this but has looked weak as fuck as a result. Hope it fucks him to be honest.

luka

I've read a lot about psychopathy. I'm sort of the opposite of a psychopath - easily overwhelmed by feelings - so I think that's where the fascination lies.

I think there is a big grey area for not feeling remorse when it comes to these huge social structures we exist in. You don't' have to be a psychopath to blunt that affect. For example, walking past homeless people in London - I think the longer I've lived here the easier I've found it to just ignore them as I walk past. I still feel twinges of guilt and sadness but even in those cases, a few minutes later and I've completely forgotten about them.

But I think to get to the top in any profession (more or less) you have to be ruthless in your interpersonal relations, i.e. willing to fuck people over and look them in the face afterwards. So being a psychopath must come in handy for that sort of thing.

Exactly what a psychopath would say

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Here's a nice demonstration of 1) my non-psychopathy 2) my socially conditioned psychopathy

Yesterday I told my workmate that Amazon hadn't delivered these wireless headphones yet, when it was supposed to be delivered on sunday (next day delivery Amazon prime). So he said contact them through live chat and ask what's happening, and complain so you get a voucher.

And even though I was talking to someone I'd never met or will meet I had to get my workmate to complain to them because I couldn't stand to be an arsehole.

The proof of my socially conditioned psychopathy is that I use Amazon without feeling (very) guilty about it.

Leo

great line today from frank rich: "a bipartisan cesspool of elites allowed Epstein to flourish with impunity all these years."

droid

Those allegations that Trump raped a 13 year old at an Epstein party looking more substantive now. Suit was withdrawn before the election.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Those allegations that Trump raped a 13 year old at an Epstein party looking more substantive now. Suit was withdrawn before the election.

Apparently she was dissuaded from pressing charges after his lawyers threatened to (her words) "make [her] life a living hell".

IdleRich

IdleRich
So, the argument from the article above is that Epstein blackmailed people to invest with him (presumably people who had been to his sex parties) and then stuck the money in an index tracker.

So what did Epstein do with the money he did have under his management, setting aside the questions of how he got it and how much he had? One hedge-fund manager speculates that Epstein could have just put the client money in an S&P 500 index fund, perhaps with a tax dodge thrown in. “I put in $100 million, I get the S&P 500 minus some fees,” he says, speaking of a theoretical client’s experience. Over the past few decades, the client would have “made a shitload” — as would Epstein. A structure like that wouldn’t have required trading desks or analysts or complex regulatory disclosures.
I know that's meant to be a criticism of Epstein but it's a bit of an indictment of the industry as a whole isn't it if they're saying that as long as you have a large sum of money you can make loads by putting it in an index tracker? Basically spending time and money on analysis or even analysts is, if not quite a total waste, unnecessary at best.
Just an admission that if you have money it's easy to turn it into more and all the stuff that they dress it up with is basically obfuscatory bollocks.

Leo

So, the argument from the article above is that Epstein blackmailed people to invest with him (presumably people who had been to his sex parties) and then stuck the money in an index tracker.

I know that's meant to be a criticism of Epstein but it's a bit of an indictment of the industry as a whole isn't it if they're saying that as long as you have a large sum of money you can make loads by putting it in an index tracker? Basically spending time and money on analysis or even analysts is, if not quite a total waste, unnecessary at best.
Just an admission that if you have money it's easy to turn it into more and all the stuff that they dress it up with is basically obfuscatory bollocks.

I think what it means is if you just put money in an index fund over the past 10 years, you could have made a shitload of money (because of the bull market). but if you had money manager and analysts, etc., you probably would have made a shitload x 2 (or more).

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think what it means is if you just put money in an index fund over the past 10 years, you could have made a shitload of money (because of the bull market). but if you had money manager and analysts, etc., you probably would have made a shitload x 2 (or more).
Well sometimes... but sometimes you make less or the same (minus the payments to all those people).

Leo

sure, but not in the past 10 years, the dow and s&p 500 are at all-time highs.

it's also a matter of scale: if I invest $100 and the market goes up 5%, I've made hardly anything. but if bill gates invests a billion and the market goes 5%, he makes $50 million.