IdleRich

IdleRich
sure, but not in the past 10 years, the dow and s&p 500 are at all-time highs.
it's also a matter of scale: if I invest $100 and the market goes up 5%, I've made hardly anything. but if bill gates invests a billion and the market goes 5%, he makes $50 million.
Those are my exact points - in a bull market (almost) everyone makes money including index trackers (which might be better as well cos you don't need to pay for any thinking or analysis or anything), and of course the more you have the more you make.
What gets my goat is that fund managers think they are clever for achieving this and don't realise it's just cos the market is going up and they put loads in. I just thought it was funny that the guy in the interview tacitly admitted that that's all there is to it "Epstein just made money by strong-arming rich people into investing and then copying the market" well d'uh. He probably out-performed a lot of them too.
I just think that there is a lot of mystique in fund management when a lot of it is down to chance. Yeah I know that some have consistently outperformed the market and made money when things are falling but a lot of them are not doing that much I reckon. And analysis by charts with all that double-tops and shit has gotta be bollocks hasn't it?
Anyway, sorry to derail, not the main point here I know.

Leo

agree, but my point was that any fund manager who achieves gains that are merely equal to the index should, and probably would, get fired. they supposedly add value, so the expectation in having a fund manager is that they will beat the index (and any associate fees). otherwise, what's the point of hiring them.

also, the index can go down too. a fund manager will (in theory) know how to move money to prevent your investment from losing the equivilent of the index in a bear market.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
So anyway, four - count 'em - Republican Congress members supported the motion to condemn Trump. Which means the rest either personally endorse him or are too scared of pissing off his increasingly rabid base, which in practice amounts to the same thing. Grim times.

What are the political preconditions for a president to be impeached? Does it require a majority Senate vote, or what?

IdleRich

IdleRich
agree, but my point was that any fund manager who achieves gains that are merely equal to the index should, and probably would, get fired. they supposedly add value, so the expectation in having a fund manager is that they will beat the index (and any associate fees). otherwise, what's the point of hiring them.

also, the index can go down too. a fund manager will (in theory) know how to move money to prevent your investment from losing the equivilent of the index in a bear market.
Yeah, you'd think...

droid

'No one touches mr trump's penis without a glove'

'Specifically asked for me because... ...I reminded him of his daughter'

droid

'He was very racist... called him a jew bastard... people with hispanic names, called them spicks... talking about the towel heads... would be better off if we got rid of every single one who was already here... loved to call black people niggers and arabic people sand niggers...'

IdleRich

IdleRich
Just been listening... it's totally plausible for sure. It is also - let's be honest - the kind of thing someone would make up (or pay someone else to make up). Really who knows? Is there any way to confirm it either way.

droid

She filed three lawsuits before the election. Withdrew the third because of death threats. The 'Tiffany' she's talking about is Epstein's assistant who corroborated her story in an affidavit. There's links between Cohen's media hush money and the case.

droid

Certainly seems plausible. One things for sure, if she goes totally public with it, her life will be ruined.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yes certainly. And certainly Trump has committed sexual assault and probably rape. Who could doubt that? Just some of the details here seem too good to be true... but more than happy to be proved wrong for sure.

droid

Sure, but bear in mind - this was recorded before the election. It preempts all the stuff we now know about his behaviour, attitudes and temperament, it hasn't been engineered in light of the last 3 years.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
What a degenerate man.

Considering how his mind works (or doesn't work) it would be more surprising if he wasn't racist.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think a lot of it (eg the clean freak stuff) has been in the public domain for a long time though hasn't it?
Either way, I'm sure that things like this have been happening even if this is not an actual participant. Which it could very well be.
It's interesting that you have two conflicting narratives about Trump... one is he can't bear to touch other people sexually cos of germs (and his own personal Vietnam, STDs), the other is that he pays Russian prostitutes to piss on him. I guess the one could be some ecstatic rejection of his normal state or something.

craner

Beast of Burden
I think Droid is consistently overoptimistic about Trump's imminent downfall. It's a persistent trait I've noticed.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Both Republics and Democrats are funded by billionaires, right? So what actually separates the two parties - is it just a comparitively superficial difference over race, gender and sexuality?