Page 106 of 117 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 1749

Thread: Trump

Who says veganism is progressive?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    I mean, of course plenty of people say it's progressive, or think that. I'm not convinced that means it is. But it's certainly become an important badge for displaying your membership of a certain tribe - just as avoiding vegetables altogether and trying to eat like a mountain lion has for their opposite numbers.

Edit: which is not to say these associations are purely arbitrary or could just as easily be reversed (although ecofascism is obviously a thing, and there's the notorious case of Hitler's vegetarianism). The desire to associate oneself with apex predators has an obvious appeal to people on the far right, and in the USA in particular that easily cross-fertilises with symbolic associations with the Wild West, pioneer self-sufficiency, survivalism and all of that.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 11-07-2018 at 02:27 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

you dont need this explained to you and we are getting into stupid 'you' territory here which is always a warning sign.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    this is a classic hallmark of tea thought. thank you for the succinct illustration. in tea-world the reactionary is only ever a product of progressive overreach. the equal and opposite reaction of physics restoring balance to a teetering world.
    Not "only ever", but they do go hand in hand. This is surely obvious?

you dont need this explained to you and we are getting into stupid 'you' territory here which is always a warning sign.
    Well alright, see the second sentence I added. I think the psychological associations at work are fairly explicit and easy to understand.

The 'soy boy' phenomenon has gone really nuts this year. Soy is now officially the antimatter of meat.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

why is there such a crossover between keto-carnivores and trump supporters HMG? im not having a pop i have a genuinely sincere and earnest interest in this cultural phenomenon
    Because it feels good and it's fun. Imagine building a world with virtually no flatulence.

it's not been my experience of trumping supporters or meat eaters but yes i understand the fun part

Well alright, see the second sentence I added. I think the psychological associations at work are fairly explicit and easy to understand.
    fair enough you made it more intelligent.

Veganism is progressive in the sense that it is the only possible future. Meat is destroying the soil, decimating the forests and contributes to about 35% of all emissions.

Even with the most optimistic projections it will be a rarity in the near future as its either taxed out of existence or land use switches to more efficient protein sources out of necessity. In 10/15 years a steak will cost you 200 if you can get one at all.

"Meat is destroying the soil", oh dear god. Where even to begin. It's late now so I might bother tomorrow. That 35% figure is total garbage, for one thing.

But to start with, veganism isn't even the most sustainable type of diet: https://www.elementascience.org/arti...ementa.000116/

And for another, soy is an absolute environmental disaster, and demand for it is rocketing due the popularity of veganism.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 11-07-2018 at 11:56 PM.

eat your spam sandwich then you big policeman no ones stopping you.

"Agricultural GHG emissions were estimated by Bellarby et al. (2008) to account for between 17% and 32% of all global anthropogenic emissions, with the aforementioned reports by the FAO (2006) and the World Watch Institute (Goodland & Anhang, 2009) concluding that animal agriculture contributes 18% and 51% of GHG emissions respectively. Ruminant livestock are often considered to confer the greatest contribution to total environmental impact when compared to their monogastric cohorts due to a combination of reductions in feed efficiency and the enteric methane production from rumen digestion. For example, dairy production accounts for approximately 2.7% of worldwide GHG emissions, with average emissions of 2.4 kg CO2-eq/kg FPCM (fat and protein-corrected milk) at the farm-gate (FAO, 2010). "

http://www.scielo.org.za/scielo.php?...92013000300002
    The livestock sector is also one of the leading drivers of global deforestation, and is linked to 75 percent of historic deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon rainforest. Nearly a third of biodiversity loss to date has been linked to animal agriculture. Further amplifying water and air pollution, global livestock produce seven to nine times more sewage than humans, most of which is left untreated. They also discharge pesticides, antibiotics, and heavy metals into water systems.

Animal agriculture is linked to:

55 percent of erosion;

60 percent of nitrogen pollution; and

70 percent of the global dietary phosphorus footprint.

https://climatenexus.org/climate-iss...limate-change/
    The fact is that our diet is unsustainable in terms of efficient land use, water use, feed for livestock, deforestation (which alone contributes about 20% of emissions), leading to desertification and loss of biodiversity. Phosphorous and nitrogen use for feed erodes soil sustainability (despite the supposed benefits of grazing) and pollutes waterways and oceans. On top of that excessive antibiotic use in agriculture creates superbugs and pathogens spread from wild animals through livestock and then to humans, and will probably be the source of the next major pandemic.

There are problems with alternatives as well, but industrial meat production is an unmitigated disaster. Even if we dont sharply reduce our production and intake, we will soon be forced to do so.

But I agree on one point - our future diet will almost certainly involve insects, which Im not sure qualifies as veganism.

erm who funded that research?