Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Perhaps his brain is rotting away but my assumption is he understands gangsterism pretty well. Having said that he's made some extremely powerful enemies now so it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

I've always thought that his two big identifiable talents are being able to whip up a big crowd of white Midwesterners into a baying, whooping, chanting frenzy and knowing exactly how far he can push his luck before he ends up in jail or dead. But in this latter sense I think he might be about to become a victim of his own success, in that he may well genuinely believe he's invincible now following his emergence from the Mueller investigation personally unscathed, while so many around him went down. And in the sort of game he plays - a game where "you win or you die" - believing yourself invincible is an inevitably fatal flaw.

(Of course, this could all be wishful thinking on my part and he may well complete this term and go on to win a second, who knows.)

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
in that he may well genuinely believe he's invincible now following his emergence from the Mueller investigation personally unscathed
I think this is quite plausible, how else to explain colluding with Ukraine on a phone call with loads of listeners about ten seconds after the Mueller thing had finally died down? It has to be either that or the brain rot that Luka mentioned above which I think has to be a serious consideration.

IdleRich

IdleRich
eg

SONDLAND: “Members of this Committee have frequently framed these complicated issues in the form of a simple question: Was there a ‘quid pro quo? As I testified previously, with regard to the requested White House call and White House meeting, the answer is yes.”

“We followed the president’s orders” — Sondland.

Breaking: “Mr. Giuliani’s requests were a quid pro quo for arranging a White House visit for President Zelensky...Mr. Giuliani was expressing the desires of the President of the United States, and we knew that these investigations were important to the President.” - Sondland 1/

IdleRich

IdleRich
Or more cohesively

Sondland “plans to show up for his televised hearing with reams of new text messages and emails he said prove the highest levels of the White House and the State Department were in on it,” NBC News reports from an apparent copy of the ambassador’s opening statement:

“They knew what we were doing and why,” Sondland plans to tell the House Intelligence Committee, according to his opening statement obtained by NBC News. “Everyone was in the loop. It was no secret.

He says he knows House members have questioned about whether there “was there a quid pro quo” and adds that when to comes to the White House meeting sought by Ukraine’s leader, “The answer is yes.”

That sounds potentially devastating to the White House case. In any case it directly contradicts the extremely careful testimony of diplomats yesterday about who knew what when.

Leo

it's pretty damning, he directly tags trump, pence, Pompeo and mulvaney with knowledge, if not actual direction. wonder if trump offered to pardon him if he ends up charged with anything. within a month, trump has gone from tweeting that sondland is a good guy doing a great job to "hardly know him, hardly ever spoke with him, etc."

sondland epitomizes the saga of the swamp: no prior government or foreign policy experience, donates $1 million to trump's inaugural, rewarded with a plumb ambassadorship, dragged into corrupt dealings, and eventually thrown under the bus and spit out by the administration. he was probably your average, well-meaning, well-regarded rich guy, now stained by trump with his reputation forever in tatters.

lay down with dogs, get fleas.

luka

it's pretty damning, he directly tags trump, pence, Pompeo and mulvaney with knowledge, if not actual direction. wonder if trump offered to pardon him if he ends up charged with anything. within a month, trump has gone from tweeting that sondland is a good guy doing a great job to "hardly know him, hardly ever spoke with him, etc."

sondland epitomizes the saga of the swamp: no prior government or foreign policy experience, donates $1 million to trump's inaugural, rewarded with a plumb ambassadorship, dragged into corrupt dealings, and eventually thrown under the bus and spit out by the administration. he was probably your average, well-meaning, well-regarded rich guy, now stained by trump with his reputation forever in tatters.

lay down with dogs, get fleas.

There's always the chance that this saga marks a turning point and a limit. This far and no further. That would be the happy outcome. A cautionary tale.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah I agree, the lesson that people will take from this is gonna be more along the lines of "don't be so inept" not "don't be so evil".

version

The Tories are already learning from it. A lot of people have realised that if you don't have any shame and refuse to cooperate then there's very little that can be done to stop you.

Leo

The Tories are already learning from it. A lot of people have realised that if you don't have any shame and refuse to cooperate then there's very little that can be done to stop you.

that's the republican play book, pretty much.

catalog

Indeed. I saw Evan Parker playing out the hcmf mixtape last night. Strong, but reminiscent of trump. Big red faced angry god, stress wanking his clarinet.