Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Scorpion and frog innit. I reckon someone could make a decent fist of a meme out of that fable.

Low-earning Trump voters as the trade war with China begins to fuck with the economy and the Affordable Care Act finally gets repealed:

tenor.gif

catalog

I meant more that there's a scorpion and a frog (I guess the frog could be Pepe, that's another level) and the scorpion is telling the frog they're gonna fuck them up and the frog says, yes please, carry on. Labels for the scorpion and the frog. Word balloons. Not thought of a good example yet but I feel like this could go viral as a template

IdleRich

IdleRich
In the fable doesn't the scorpion sting the frog carrying it across the river and they both die? Hope Trump does poison his supporters and then drown.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I meant more that there's a scorpion and a frog (I guess the frog could be Pepe, that's another level) and the scorpion is telling the frog they're gonna fuck them up and the frog says, yes please, carry on. Labels for the scorpion and the frog. Word balloons. Not thought of a good example yet but I feel like this could go viral as a template

Oh yeah, I got what you meant. It's just that Trump supporters and cartoon frogs now have a certain indelible association.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
"Look, you knew I was a snake, bitch."

Wasn't there some hoo-ha a few years ago when Trump quoted (or more likely misquoted) an old RnB song with lyrics along that theme? I think he was using it to have a dig at Hispanic immigrants, predictably enough.

catalog

i don't think we've reached the scorpion level leader yet. it's still a bit of smoke and mirrors going on. maybe scorpion level comes after fake news.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Cross-post to the Big Books thread: Trump's total output on Twitter is apparently now longer than Ulysses.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Aesop's Fable of the scorpion and the frog and the northern soul tune The Snake by Al Wilson have a similar theme in that in each case the animal is unable to change its nature and stings or bites its benefactor killing them. The difference is that the scorpion dies too whereas the snake just has to live with the guilt of murdering the tender woman who brought him in (ie faces no real consequences). Trump quoted the latter, probably as some kind of metaphor for Mexican immigrants or democrats or something.

Leo

not a new claim but still worth keeping in mind, this is what we're up against. not sure it's possible to change the minds of these folks...

Rick Perry Says Trump is the "Chosen One"

For those who don’t know the code, this “God uses imperfect people” rationalization for conservative Evangelical support of Trump is one of several stratagems used to ease tender consciences in that segment of the population. Another, articulated by Christian-right warhorse James Dobson, is that Trump is a “baby Christian” who hasn’t quite learned the spiritual ropes just yet. Still another is that Trump is like the virtuous heathen Cyrus the Great, led by God to help His People without subscribing to the faith.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/11/perry-tells-trump-he-is-indeed-the-chosen-one.html

a comment:
LOL there's obviously no limit to a Trumpie's sad imbecilic delusions. I'm sure "God" could do way better than to "choose" an amoral obese waddling feeb, unless "God" is actually Mayor McCheese.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So a federal court has ruled that McGahn (and by extension Bolton etc) do not have "absolute immunity" from the house's subpoenas... if i'm reading it right, they will appeal but a) their argument is so ludicrous that even a SCOTUS stuffed with partisan Repubs is unlikely to allow it and b) unless a stay is granted they would have to testify before that appeal anyway unless they are granted a stay.
But I'm reading that they won't try to further enforce the subpoenas, but rather will count anyone who doesn't appear as being blocked by Trump despite the ruling and thus as irrefutable evidence of a further charge of obstruction of justice. Which sounds smart and everything but I'd rather hear Bolton in particular testify cos it seems that he knows all about the Ukraine stuff and disapproved of it at the time. In fact that tactic sounds altogether too smart by half. If it's true.
I hope the above is correct but I may be wrong in some or (let's face it) all of the details.

Leo

I'm no legal expert but it's my understanding that while mcgahn may be forced to testify, he is still able to not answer questions (executive privilege or plead the 5th). also, people who defy subpoenas and refuse to show up in court can be arrested, so I think you'll see them appear.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm no legal expert but it's my understanding that while mcgahn may be forced to testify, he is still able to not answer questions (executive privilege or plead the 5th). also, people who defy subpoenas and refuse to show up in court can be arrested, so I think you'll see them appear.
I think that's roughly right but not quite. His blanket immunity has been laughed out of court and yeah he may be entitled to exec privilege on some questions but I think it's decided on a case by case basis and not guaranteed. Dunno about the 5th, it's not an actual trial though so might not count.

Leo

If/when the impeachment trial goes to the senate, it will be interesting to see how Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts handles it. he would oversee the proceedings. he famously said the court's only role is "to call balls and strikes" (a baseball term, act like a sports referee) yet here he'll thrust into the middle of a very public trial to determine the fate of the president. while a conservative bush appointee, he has on occasion taken decisive positions on court decisions that uphold policies supported by democrats, like Obamacare.

we've seem so many top people at institutions sway to trump (like attorneys general Barr), will be the ultimate test of the courts to see what Roberts allows and disallows.