Page 113 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113
Results 1,681 to 1,693 of 1693

Thread: Trump

Sadly, I think Craner's right about Trump being reelected. He appeals to a lot of Americans and his approval rating has been increasing since December. We can talk about meddling, gerrymandering and so on, but there's no getting round the fact that millions of people like and support him, some of them to the point of fanaticism. I also can't see the Dems producing anyone capable of beating him, there's nothing they can do to hit back.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Sadly, I think Craner's right about Trump being reelected. He appeals to a lot of Americans and his approval rating has been increasing since December. We can talk about meddling, gerrymandering and so on, but there's no getting round the fact that millions of people like and support him, some of them to the point of fanaticism. I also can't see the Dems producing anyone capable of beating him, there's nothing they can do to hit back.
    That the Democrats don't have anyone high profile enough to be considered a contender today isn't that much of a problem imo. In history it was repeatedly the case that some formerly unknowns got nominated and won. Bill Clinton for instance was considerd to have zero chances against "Desert Storm" triumphant Bush Sen. But then in '92 there was Ross Perrot, somehow a precursor of Trump in many respects, who kinda "won" the election for Clinton.

If there is a critical mass of people annoyed enough with this clown, he doesn't stand a chance of getting re-elected.

but the trap is mistaking your dislike for a thing, given that it is so strongly felt, for something that is widely shared

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    There was an increase in December but its levelled out and is still historically low. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...roval-ratings/

Meanwhile dems are running 47 - 39 in the generic ballot. https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...vote-6185.html

There's something amazing about this.

I'm sure europeans find this comforting...

TRUMP indicated to Tucker Carlson on Fox News that he doesn’t agree with the idea that the U.S. should defend other NATO countries.

CARLSON: “Let’s say Montenegro, which joined [NATO] last year, was attacked, why should my son go to Montenegro to defend it from attack?”

TRUMP: “I understand what you’re saying. I asked the same question. You know, Montenegro is a tiny country with very strong people. … By the way, they’re very strong people. They’re very aggressive people. They may get aggressive and congratulations, you’re in World War III. Now, I understand it, but that’s the way it was set up. Don’t forget, I just got here a little more than a year and a half ago.”

not news but one of the more depressing things I've read of late...

Yes, almost every elected Republican we talk to privately thinks President Trump’s warm embrace of Vladimir Putin was unexplainable, unacceptable and un-American. Yes, they wish they could say this publicly. No, they won’t — not now, and probably never.

The cold, hard reason: They see no upside in speaking out — and fear political suicide if they do, numerous Republican officials tell us.

Why it matters: This is the mind-control power Trump has, thanks to 90 percent of Republicans approving of his tactics and performance.
    These 90 percent empower and are empowered by Fox News and a pro-Trump social media ecosystem that always comes to the president’s defense, even if they flinch for a moment or two.

We just witnessed this power on full display:
    You had a rare moment where virtually every Republican was aghast at Trump’s words.
    But almost every Republican — except those leaving the stage — softened their direct criticism of Trump and ran from TV or reporters like the plague.

GOP lawmakers' immediate complaints about the press conference were quickly tempered. Trump’s cleanup and turnaround yesterday ("I said the word 'would' instead of 'wouldn't'") had one audience: Capitol Hill.
    Senior staff saw a real risk of backlash — worse than after Charlottesville — if the brewing rebellion wasn’t nipped in the bud quickly, per sources close to White House.

Most Republican members of Congress don't need to do anything so radical as actually believe Trump is sincere about correcting himself.
    They need a fig leaf so they can justify quickly returning to support their president, who is vastly more popular with Republican voters than any of them are.

P.S. Two tweets illuminate this phenomenon:

Mike Murphy, GOP strategist: "I’m furious R’s are cowardly about Trump. But here is what they say in private: 1.) Trump is a disgrace. 2.) I give fiery press conf tmmrw saying that. 3.) Nothing changes, Trump remains nuts and remains POTUS. 4.) A nut beats me in next primary. So how does my pol suicide help?"

Dave Wasserman of Cook Political Report: "Most Republican members are willing to admit POTUS doesn't operate in reality, but know they're doomed in their next primary if they say so publicly. As long as that's true, we're headed for a world w/ zero accountability."

The last word: Trump chimed in with a tweet at 5:53 Wednesday morning:
    "So many people at the higher ends of intelligence loved my press conference performance in Helsinki. Putin and I discussed many important subjects at our earlier meeting. We got along well which truly bothered many haters who wanted to see a boxing match. Big results will come!"

Who was the first president to really nail this misspeaking thing? I'd assume Nixon must have done something along these lines, but maybe it was more recent.
    Last edited by baboon2004; Yesterday at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Who was the first president to really nail this misspeaking thing? I'd assume Nixon must have done something along these lines, but maybe it was more recent.
    I expect GWB did it a fair few times, but the days when people used to mock him for his inarticulacy and poor vocabulary now seem like a distant and rather pleasant dream next to the present reality.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

True. Also possible to detect influences of GWB's folksy, vague style on Trump.

OK, I just found this:
    This use of “misspeak” is of American origin. Oxford’s first example (“I believe he misspoke himself”) is drawn from, aptly, the Congressional Record, 1894; its second (“The President misspoke himself”) is from Richard Nixon’s iconic press secretary, Ron Zeigler, in 1973, annus mirabilis of the Classical period of American misspeaking.
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-and-ms-spoken

As long as that's true, we're headed for a world w/ zero accountability
    It's not really a world with zero accountability - it's a world with accountability to the wrong people ("A nut beats me in next primary. So how does my pol suicide help?")

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    True. Also possible to detect influences of GWB's folksy, vague style on Trump.

OK, I just found this:
    This use of “misspeak” is of American origin. Oxford’s first example (“I believe he misspoke himself”) is drawn from, aptly, the Congressional Record, 1894; its second (“The President misspoke himself”) is from Richard Nixon’s iconic press secretary, Ron Zeigler, in 1973, annus mirabilis of the Classical period of American misspeaking.
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-and-ms-spoken
    Along with its various derivatives, “misspeak” has become one of the signature verbal workhorses of this interminable political season, right up there with “narrative,” “Day One,” and “hope.” It carries the suggestion that, while the politician’s perfectly functioning brain has dispatched the correct signals, the mouth has somehow received and transmitted them in altered form. “Misspeak” is a powerful word, a magical word. It is a word that is apparently thought capable, in its contemporary political usage, of isolating a palpable, possibly toxic untruth, sealing it up in an airtight bag, and disposing of it harmlessly.

Such a feat of modern hygiene is impressive in a word of such ancient origins. The Oxford English Dictionary finds it in Chaucer (“I me repente / If I mis spak”), but the hoary examples involve meanings that are either obsolete (to calumniate) or irrelevant to the present case (to mispronounce or speak incorrectly, a specialty of George W. “Misunderestimated” Bush).
    Ah, so we're not talking about simply stumbling over words, but bare-faced lying and then trying to cover your arse by claiming it was an 'error'.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; Yesterday at 11:33 AM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    It's not really a world with zero accountability - it's a world with accountability to the wrong people ("A nut beats me in next primary. So how does my pol suicide help?")
    he meant trump is not being held accountable by GOP members of congress, who are afraid to speak out because they believe it would lead to them losing to a "nut" in their next election.