IdleRich

IdleRich
I keep reading that a whistleblower is claiming that Trump's loans from Deutsche Bank were underwritten by Russian bank VTB. Big if true and can be proven.

Leo

can't quite figure out what bolton has up his sleeve...it's definitely something, because I highly doubt he'd just have an innocent change of heart and for no reason suddenly be willing to spill the beans. he's angling for something.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Who knows? The point is his testimony would presumably be honest (as it's under oath) if not complete and what he has to say is not gonna be good for Trump - seeing as he described their shenanigans with Ukraine as a drug deal - so I want to hear it. I understand that it needs only four Repubs to vote against Mitch to force the senate trial to call witnesses, Romney makes one so only need three more to have an attack of conscience.

version

Iran are playing the media game quite well re: Trump. They've said the problem's Trump and Trump alone and they have no issue with the American people. They've apparently also put together a list of Trumo properties in response to his targeting of cultural sites. A prime example of why the president's supposed to relinquish control of their businesses once in office.

Leo

someone on instagram posted a map of Florida with an arrow pointing to mar-a-lago, with the words "Dear Iran: he's here."

Leo

Perhaps I've misunderstood the term, but isn't it a crime to refuse to testify if you're subpoenaed?

yes, but the trump administration has said they will fight any subpoena in court, a process that would potentially drag out for many months. puts the dems between a rock and hard place: do they issue a subpoena but move on if it's ignored in order to strike while the iron is hot and they have public support, or fight it in court and drag out the impeachment story until the summer, by which time everyone is sick of it and republicans contend it's unfair to resume impeachment just months away from an election.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Also there is a difference I think between a subpoena in court and in an impeachment. But yeah, it basically boils down to Trump ordering his minions (and previous minions) not to appear and someone needing to decide about what wins between a congressional subpoena and a presidential claim of immunity. To be honest it seems clear that a FORMER employee of the government should have no immunity, but, if they claim they do it will take a court to finally decide that.... and given that the SCOTUS is now staffed with Trump cunts who knows how they will rule?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Articles of Impeachment are going (or have gone) to the Senate today.... what has Pelosi gained by holding them? OK Bolton said he'll testify if asked to and there is this Parnas stuff that's come out but what does any of that matter if the trial is a sham? Has she lost anything by the delay then? Does she have a plan? Will any senators find their conscience? What's gonna happen?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Looks as though the two sides are finally acting like grown-ups and coming together to actually run the thing in a bipartisan and mature way.

The press is gathering ahead of the Democrats planned delivery of the articles of impeachment to the Senate.
However, it sounds like the Republicans don’t actually plan on accepting them tonight. Senate leaders have said they will tell the House members to return tomorrow to present the articles if they deliver them at 5pm ET as planned, according to CNN. Democrats have said they intend to stick with the 5pm plan.
We will see how this all shakes out in the next hour.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Bit lame that Pelosi signed the articles of impeachment - a solemn moment remember - with literally about fifty commemorative pens which she then gave out as souvenirs.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It looks as though this Parnas stuff is pretty bad for Trump. I actually don't know much about this aspect of the process, can Leo (or anyone) fill me in?
As I understand Parnas had a load of documents and stuff relating to his relationship with Trump and the Ukraine and there was a court dispute about whether they could be released and the result was that they could - and they say (amongst other things) that Trump completely did want a quid pro quo with Ukraine and authorised Rudy to negotiate their slander of the Bidens. Also is there some implication that Trump surveilled and possibly considering ordering a hit on the US ambassador whom he subsequently attacked in the media and then fired? Crazy stuff although some will deny its authenticity as Parnas has previously been indicted and cos it's not under oath (and they'll fight tooth and nail to prevent him appearing under oath of course too - it's crazy they can do that). Am I on the right lines here?

Last edited:

Leo

so many questions, rich!

I'm no expert but seems like les is in a bit of a Michael Cohen situation: a somewhat sleazy fixer type who was deep inside some corrupt shit, got busted and then hung out to dry by trump/gulliani et al., and is now saying fuck that, I'm gonna try to save my own ass by spilling beans. sure, like Cohen, he's not the most believable witness but it's hard to argue against emails and text messages. who knows what will come of it, but it ain't good for trump.

Last edited: