craner

Beast of Burden
Incidentally, does anyone remember the thing a couple of months ago when John Bolton was randomly caught on camera strolling down a street in Qatar on his own?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Another thing... what Droid said about democracy ending, previously I would have said that kind of talk was hysterical but now I find it quite easy to envisage Trump using a supine Senate and Supreme court to overturn an election result, or laws about term limits etc these possibilities are scarily close.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Ah ok you mean literally the year 2024 won't happen. I reckon it probably will but I'm not as sure of that as I once was.

droid

4 more years = the definite end of any hope for climate, that's indisputable, and also a strong possibility of nuclear war.

craner

Beast of Burden
Is this why you put so much hope into Bernie, because you think the world is going to blow up otherwise?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
As elections go, it does seem like it might be the most important in the history of the world. And the history of the world might be in the palm of the hand of the DNC - dear god.

Leo

On a lighter note: Britney Spears is older than Pete Buttigieg.

At this point, I'd vote for either one of them.

droid

Is this why you put so much hope into Bernie, because you think the world is going to blow up otherwise?

Look at all the science. Every report and institution of note says we have about a decade to put on the brakes and start reversing. Its unanimous.

In terms of nuclear war, I think it's probably more of a possibility now than it has been in decades, and the longer Trump is in power the more likely it gets.

Leo

Look at all the science. Every report and institution of note says we have about a decade to put on the brakes and start reversing. Its unanimous.

In terms of nuclear war, I think it's probably more of a possibility now than it has been in decades, and the longer Trump is in power the more likely it gets.

ironically, Bloomberg has done more to address climate change than Bernie.

The essence of Sanders: has always been true to his core convictions, but hasn't ever actually accomplished much. It's easy to stand on a stage and spout your beliefs, it's hard to get any of these things done legislatively. It's always his way or the highway, so nothing gets done. We need more than that now.

droid

Sorry leo, thats bullshit. Bernie's climate plan has been endorsed by pretty much every major activist organization. Its by far the most radical, only Warren comes close. The idea that Bloomberg, Biden or any other centrist candidate will deliver the change we need is ludicrous.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I agree with Trump re nuclear war. Or any war. People (on the left even) make out that he's not a warmonger like Bush, Obama, Klllary etc and so despite all his criminal friends and corruption etc he's not as bad as them. That's just luck though. He absolutely will if he needs a distraction or sees something on Fox News that triggers him or decides he's doesn't like Big Kim etc
Re the climate. They aint gonna do anything about it, we're all fucked. But 2024 is the cut-off for saving, it's not the actual end of the world.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Incidentally, does anyone remember the thing a couple of months ago when John Bolton was randomly caught on camera strolling down a street in Qatar on his own?

Yes, I saw that. Was it definitely him? It sure looked like him.

What can we make of these polls from four years ago saying Sanders was preferred over Trump by most voters? Can anyone remember by what margin? Is it still valid? I understand Trump's popular support is pretty poor outside of his actual base.

Leo

that's not the point, was just using Bloomberg as an example. I'm just tired of political platitudes and academic arguments that never result in anything. it doesn't matter if we agree with what a politician says, we have to be clear-minded enough to examine whether or not they get shit done.

I love some of Bernie's positions (others I don't), but his uncompromising nature means they are mostly a pipe dream. sometimes you have to cajole people and compromise, because getting 60-70% of what you want is infinitely better than getting 0%. in his decades of service, he has exhibited remarkably little ability or interest in negotiating or openness to compromise. why should we expect a 78-year old guy to change now. he won't.

Leo

also, not for nothing but why is Bernie fucking up the Democratic primary when he's not even a democrat! yeah, I know, he caucuses with the Dems but shouldn't he run as an independent? He obviously doesn't share enough values with the Dems to join their party, so why should the Democrats provide him with a national platform?

playing devil's advocate of course but...