Page 2 of 87 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump

There's something outrageously vulgar even about Trump's appearance that I don't think would 'play' in the UK. The doctored hair. He looks like a Harry Enfield/Paul Whitehouse version of a politician or investment banker from the 80's.

Obviously you can't generalise about an entire culture, especially one as huge as the U.S.'s, but I think there's more of a taste for brashness ''over there''. Our nearest equivalent to Trump (in terms of a political 'personality') is probably Boris Johnson, who is also brash but in a very British way: self-effacing, ostensibly bumbling and clumsy, liable to drop a baby before he can kiss it on the campaign trail.

To carry on with the stereotypes - as a culture I think the British rather despise self-aggrandisement. We're eager to knock anybody who gets big for their boots off their perch. Also, there's this lingering respect for ''class'' - not in the sense of social standing, necessarily, but in terms of ''civil'' behaviour. Whereas in the U.S. I get the impression that there's a lot more value placed on success (/money).

Saying all this, it's not as if British people aren't fascinated by Trump (and by American culture in general, obv.). He makes good TV, because he's despicable. I just don't think he'd have any credibility as a politician here. He hasn't really in the U.S., though, has he? He's like a sideshow to the main event of the election, and unfortunately has helped make Jeb Bush, e.g., look like the sensible option.

That's why our patron Saint is Beckham and not Robbie Savage

He's well ahead in the polls though so he's making credibility look academic, completely superfluous. He can't be president but maybe he can win the nomination

And someone less divisive can use this model and win down the line

It's been on the cards for a long time. Reagan was seen as a symptom of the same trend. A presidential system is more vulnerable to a cult of celebrity but we're not immune to it either

It's also to do with a rejection of democratic responsibilities on the part of citizens and institutions most notably media. A feedback loop of infantilisation

http://nyti.ms/1P7fqgG

Interesting article about how the Republican party has been shaken up by Trump, and the right-shift that societies undergo in times of economic hardship.

Perhaps another comparable figure to Trump from over here is Jeremy Clarkson. He "tells it like it is". He's "un-PC". He thrives on hatred. He's a rich tory but he's the average bllokes hero. Etc. And there are probably a lot of people who (though hopefully jokingly) would like to see him as Prime Minister.

trump has certainly had a large impact, but some of the polls can be potentially misleading. like the ones that on quick-look seem to say trump is on top at 35%....but on closer examination it's not 35% of americans, or even registered american voters. it's 35% of republicans in iowa, which amounts to a tiny sliver of the country in a rural conservative state.

it's been said elsewhere but much of the rise of trump and fellow "outsiders" is due to demographics: older white males feeling threatened by societal and economic change, with their diminished employment prospects brought on by globalization and a growing technology-based economy for which they are not trained. they feel betrayed, left behind, frustrated by their declining stature and blame "the other" (immigrants, minorities, non-christians, gays, the PC police, weak liberals/democrats, etc.). they also tend to love the tough guy act, hence the macho "take our country back/make america great again" posturing. they are the perfect audience for a demagogue.

in fairness, though, washington is definitely corrupt and broken by any measure, so the rage again establishment politicians is shared by many democrats and independents as well.
    Last edited by Leo; 17-12-2015 at 04:54 PM.

i watched his speech announcing his run one afternoon several months ago and i thought it was a joke. then i go tot he coffeeshop the next day and some guy won't shut up about how trump was going to put tariffs on goods from mexico and it was going to save our economy........
    did you tronc today?

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Perhaps another comparable figure to Trump from over here is Jeremy Clarkson. He "tells it like it is". He's "un-PC". He thrives on hatred. He's a rich tory but he's the average bllokes hero. Etc. And there are probably a lot of people who (though hopefully jokingly) would like to see him as Prime Minister.
    That's not a bad comparison but a huge difference is that Clarkson is wealthy* as a result of having come up with a highly marketable brand (I mean, I don't think he was born into any great wealth, was he?) whereas Trump is a hereditary billionaire.

*in the sense of being worth however many million, but obviously still Little People from the POV of someone like Trump
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

So, Trump was apparently ordered to pay 1.3 million for the death of an endangered brown spider monkey whose hair is mixed with the pubic hair of a water buffalo to make his toupee by a company (Bel-hair emporium) which is under investigation for paying off columbian drug cartels to catch the monkey in question.

Even the man's wig is bizarre and despicable.

EDIT: the friend who emailed this to me included this note: "Ever wonder what it would be like if the cheerleaders at a middle school for simplistic uber-nationalist authoritarian jingoists did a self-parody choreographed by Evel Knievel and filtered through George Orwell's fever dreams? Well, wonder no more."
    Last edited by Leo; 15-01-2016 at 07:03 PM.

Sarah Palin endorses Trump, word salad ensues:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/kyleblaine/s...pee#.gdAYRB22w

This is tough to read in one sitting -- or at all -- but needed to be shared in case you might be under the mistaken impression that Americans have become any smarter.

i thought about going to a trump event nearby for the freak show and spectacle of it all there are videos of his followers outside the events and the counterprotestors that come with all these events and its like those people in new mexico or nevada putting on sunglasses to watch a nuclear bomb test out in the desert.
    did you tronc today?