Page 23 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump

They're similar in that sense, but Trump is even worse, in that he doesn't only trip over his words, but also says things that no member of the political elite would say.

Which is of course why he's so popular (consider as well that on some important issues like trade or foreign policy he's to the left of Clinton). It's ironic that after both Sanders and Trump and the obvious desire for change they represent, America may well end up with the ultimate establishment candidate in office.

And also why he's so hated.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    More like Sauron the deceiver's.
    Nah. When Sauron tricked the Noldor, he came across as Mr Super Smooth, all nice and benevolent and jolly and helpful. Trump is far more of a "what you see is what you get" character, isn't he? I mean, if he were to get elected, gods forbid, no-one would get much mileage out of "But why didn't anyone TELL US he's a mentally unstable, misogynist, racist egomaniac with no understanding of domestic or international politics and scant regard for the basics of democracy?".
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Some of his statements are so blithely self-contradictory that I'm reminded of something I have read about psychopaths.

Here's one of Trump's statements:

‘I know much about climate change. I’d be – received environmental awards. And I often joke that this is done for the benefit of China. Obviously, I joke. But this is done for the benefit of China, because China does not do anything to help climate change. They burn everything you could burn; they couldn’t care less. They have very – you know, their standards are nothing. But they – in the meantime, they can undercut us on price. So it’s very hard on our business.’

and here's a version of what I read:

What makes psychopaths different from all others is the remarkable ease with which they lie, the pervasiveness of their deception, and the callousness with which they carry it out.

But there is something else about the speech of psychopaths that is equally puzzling: their frequent use of contradictory and logically inconsistent statements that usually escape detection. Recent research on the language of psychopaths provides us with some important clues to this puzzle, as well as to the uncanny ability psychopaths have to move words - and people- around so easily. […]

Here are some examples:

When asked if he had ever committed a violent offense, a man serving time for theft answered, "No, but I once had to kill someone."

A woman with a staggering record of fraud, deceit, lies, and broken promises concluded a letter to the parole board with, "I've let a lot of people down… One is only as good as her reputation and name. My word is as good as gold."

A man serving a term for armed robbery replied to the testimony of an eyewitness, "He's lying. I wasn't there. I should have blown his fucking head off."

From an interview with serial killer Elmer Wayne Henley:

Interviewer: "You make it out that you're the victim of a serial killer, but if you look at the record you're a serial killer."
    Henley: "I'm not."
    I: "You're not a serial killer?"
    H: "I'm not a serial killer."
    I: You're saying you're not a serial killer now, but you've serially killed."
    H: "Well, yeah, that's semantics."

And so on. The point that the researchers noted was that psychopaths seem to have trouble monitoring their own speech. What is more, they often put things together in strange ways, such as this series of remarks from serial killer Clifford Olson: "And then I had annual sex with her." "Once a year?" "No. Annual. From behind." "Oh. But she was dead!" "No, no. She was just unconscientious." About his many experiences, Olson said, "I've got enough antidotes to fill five or six books - enough for a trilogy." He was determined not to be an "escape goat" no matter what the "migrating facts." [Hare, Without Conscience]

http://www.cassiopaea.com/cassiopaea/psychopath.htm

This looks to be an interesting article, written by a linguist, on Trump's use of language:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/george..._11675280.html

Not had the chance to read it all yet but the thrust of the argument here is that Trump chooses his words more carefully than his detractors might like to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Nah. When Sauron tricked the Noldor, he came across as Mr Super Smooth, all nice and benevolent and jolly and helpful. Trump is far more of a "what you see is what you get" character, isn't he? I mean, if he were to get elected, gods forbid, no-one would get much mileage out of "But why didn't anyone TELL US he's a mentally unstable, misogynist, racist egomaniac with no understanding of domestic or international politics and scant regard for the basics of democracy?".
    Should NOT have attempted to out nerd you.

I would like to point out that I enjoy parties, wash every day and have had sex, oh, several times.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    I would like to point out that I enjoy parties, wash every day and have had sex, oh, several times.
    "People say, and I hear them, they say Iím boring compared to Donald, but Iím not boring at all. In fact, I am the life of every party I attended, and I have been to three."

Re-using the same material, Tea? Now we see where your outrageous anti-Trump bias comes from

I'd like to get the hang of this Trump parody business.

All I know is 'Believe me'.

It's hard to get that sort of idiocy without dumbing down TOO MUCH. And the incoherence, but also the simplicity. Its hard. Believe me, it's hard.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    "People say, and I hear them, they say I’m boring compared to Donald, but I’m not boring at all. In fact, I am the life of every party I attended, and I have been to three."

Re-using the same material, Tea? Now we see where your outrageous anti-Trump bias comes from
    Dems sinking to the level of mocking the words that my brain puts out my mouth. And I say a LOT of words. SAD!
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 21-10-2016 at 06:03 PM.

Lool

where's the remix of 'such a nasty woman'? youtube letting me down. and i thought we had the best people, really the best people.

Conventional wisdom holds that journalists are bastions of neutrality who mustnít root for Team Red or Team Blue, either in word or deed. But during this election season, several hundred news professionals have aligned themselves with Clinton or Trump by personally donating money.

People identified in federal campaign finance filings as journalists, reporters, news editors or television anchorsóas well as other donors known to be working in journalismóhave combined to give more than $396,000 to the presidential campaigns of Clinton and Trump, according to a Center for Public Integrity analysis.

More than 96 percent of that cash has benefited Clinton: About 430 people who work in journalism have, through August, combined to give about $382,000 to the Democratic nominee, the Center for Public Integrityís analysis indicates.

About 50 identifiable journalists have combined to give about $14,000 to Trump. (Talk radio ideologues and paid TV pundits are not included in the tally.)

Generally, the law obligates federal candidates only to disclose the names of people making contributions of more than $200 during one election cycle. So itís likely more journalists have given the Clinton and Trump campaigns cash, but in amounts too small to trigger reporting requirements.
    http://www.cjr.org/covering_the_elec...php?Newsletter

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    where's the remix of 'such a nasty woman'? youtube letting me down. and i thought we had the best people, really the best people.