droid

This is only about 48 hours worth of examples of his madness. The guy is a flaming dumpster filled with shit being pushed down the street by a phalanx of despicable dead eyed corporate & political criminals.

bruno

est malade
droid, is it possible you're viewing all this through a very distorted lens? i don't see any neo-nazi speechwriters. some of his appointments are actually quite good (eg. mattis). also, the planet has been fucked over left and right for eons, even zero pollution in the west will be offset by chinese (an other rising economies) pollution and i just contributed to global warming by taking a plane, which i'm sure all of us have. for all of trump's faults he at least wants to restart nuclear power, which i am not thrilled about but is arguably cleaner than other technologies.

re: dissent, i don't see anything that warrants mass unrest, i reserve that for govermnents that lock up political opposition, that torture an ddisappear political dissidents and so on. the hysteria has got to stop.

droid

droid, is it possible you're viewing all this through a very distorted lens? i don't see any neo-nazi speechwriters.

Is it possible you haven't got a clue what you're talking about? have you heard of STEVE FUCKING BANNON, for example?

droid

even zero pollution in the west will be offset by chinese (an other rising economies) pollution and i just contributed to global warming by taking a plane, which i'm sure all of us have. for all of trump's faults he at least wants to restart nuclear power, which i am not thrilled about but is arguably cleaner than other technologies.

Bullshit. China is now taking the lead in climate, banning new coal plants, investing hugely into solar and wind and it is now cheaper everywhere in the developing world to build solar rather than coal or oil for new energy.

Trump has attempted to appoint Rex Tillerson, ex head of Exxon (almost certainly guilty of suppressing Exxon's research from the early 80s confirming the link between emissions and climate change), a man who has received the Russian medal of honour and whose ties to Putin, will, it is expected, help to broker a 600billion Russian oil deal in the arctic (once Trump lifts sanctions) at a time when nearly every other nation is attempting to meet Paris 2020 CO2 targets.

bruno

est malade
Yeah sorry Bruno you're as wrong as anyone has been on here since craner was cheerleading for war in Iraq

perhaps, i don't mind being in the minority. my point is that reaction to him is completely unhinged. (as in escaping normal bounds of discourse and civility). this will continue to feed the monster, as tea points out, and that is your choice. in the meantime the reaction (violence against trump supporters, etc.) will only alienate moderates and radicalise. hardly the basis for a political alternative.

droid

You're completely clueless Bruno. The only violence on show was the punching of AN ACTUAL NAZI.

bruno

est malade
Bullshit. China is now taking the lead in climate, banning new coal plants, investing hugely into solar and wind and it is now cheaper everywhere in the developing world to build solar rather than coal or oil for new energy.
the record-setting cloud of pollution in all of mainland china last week would beg to differ. i'm sure they are taking steps to address the problem, unfortunately it is usually along the line of ignoring or locking up those who voice.

droid

Yeah, probably the largest political, non-violent protests in modern American history are 'no basis for a political alternative'. GTFO.

droid

the record-setting cloud of pollution in all of mainland china last week would beg to differ. i'm sure they are taking steps to address the problem, unfortunately it is usually along the line of ignoring or locking up those who voice.

They just rescinded 100 million worth of new coal plants.

bruno

est malade
You're completely clueless Bruno. The only violence on show was the punching of AN ACTUAL NAZI.
droid, you may have missed the intentional violence by democratic operatives at trump rallies. or torture of a trump supporter by four in chicago a few weeks ago. but let's ignore the pesky facts that get in the way of the evil nazi trump narrative!

droid

droid, you may have missed the intentional violence by democratic operatives at trump rallies.

Well, this is clearly bullshit. It is at this point that I have to ask, what exactly are your 'sources' that claim liberal violence at Trump rallies but leave you entirely ignorant of the identity of Steve Bannon?

or torture of a trump supporter by four in chicago a few weeks ago. but let's ignore the pesky facts that get in the way of the evil nazi trump narrative!

Yes, this was despicable, and an isolated event by a bunch of psychos. Grasping at straws.

sadmanbarty

I can’t say I’ve personally seen much (if any) of this demonisation of Trump and Brexit supporters that Bruno and Sufi are talking about in the media (not to say there isn’t any). From what I’ve been exposed to, I’d say there’s actually a tendency to highlight the “left behind by globalisation” narrative and completely downplay the role of social conservatism, authoritarian personality types and racial resentment (which opinion polling suggests are factors involved in these phenomena).

The reporting was ridiculous during the campaign. I’d say it benefited Trump a lot.

I have seen lots of anti-Trump reporting since his victory and while I’d agree with you that it's unethical to report unsubstantiated rumours about Russia, the rest of the negative coverage has been by and large policy focused.

As for the demonisation of Trump between his polices on climate change, democratic norms, healthcare, corruption, financial deregulation, etc. I’d say you can still be sober and policy focussed while imagining his presidency will be pretty shite.

sadmanbarty

Bruno, as someone who lives in Chile do you find our fretting over Trump's authoritarian rhetoric silly? (this is a genuine question not some passive aggressive comment or rhetorical trap)

vimothy

yurp
It's not so long since sore-losing conservatives were making similar claims about Barack "literally Hitler" Obama, of course. It seems to be an expression of the sort of not so sublimated religious enthusiasm that characterises politics in the States.

bruno

est malade
Well, this is clearly bullshit. It is at this point that I have to ask, what exactly are your 'sources' that claim liberal violence at Trump rallies but leave you entirely ignorant of the identity of Steve Bannon?

project veritas.

i'm not convinced steve bannon is what you say he is, surely a neo-nazi wouldn't hire jews?

Yes, this was despicable, and an isolated event by a bunch of psychos. Grasping at straws.
hardly an isolated event. see the battering and car robbery of a trump supporter dragged along by his tormentors, the multiple episodes of campus violence against trump supporters and so on.

sufi

lala
It's Sufi Im most disappointed with.
Cripes, sorry, popped out for a mo after posting that.
All I'm saying is that they are not crazed rabid evil beasts, there are clever people involved who believe that they are rational and ethical. Trump is not Satan just as Obama was not actually Jesus. A bit of cool analysis of what just happened is more helpful than frothing at the gash.

droid

It's not so long since sore-losing conservatives were making similar claims about Barack "literally Hitler" Obama, of course. It seems to be an expression of the sort of not so sublimated religious enthusiasm that characterises politics in the States.

Conservative politics have been characterised by this since Clinton and Rove. Mainstream liberal commentary regarding Bush was relatively mild until Iraq, and even afterwards he never faced anything like the level of demonisation and opposition amongst Democrats that Obama did.

But sure, nothing exceptional at all about Trump. He's totally normal. The reaction is just hysteria.

bruno

est malade
Bruno, as someone who lives in Chile do you find our fretting over Trump's authoritarian rhetoric silly? (this is a genuine question not some passive aggressive comment or rhetorical trap)
yes, i do.

there is no parallel between a seventeen-year military regime led by an unelected dictator and a democratically elected president in a country with a free judiciary and separation of powers. there is no parallel between locking up political opponents, torturing and disappearing people and stifling legitimate opposition and trump, who has threatened none of those things.

if anything he has more than earned his win by undoing the trans pacific partnership, a secretive, corporate-backed takeover of media, pharmaceuticals and more that would have killed net neutrality and put affordable generic drugs off the shelf, to name two things that would have impacted chile. it remains to be seen how he governs, however the idea that trump is in any way comparable to pinochet is absurd and frankly insulting.