sadmanbarty

Trump:

Clinton:

Impose a “risk fee” on the largest financial institutions

Require firms that are too large and too risky to be managed effectively to reorganize, downsize, or break apart

Strengthen oversight of the “shadow banking” system to reduce risk

Impose a high-frequency trading tax and reform the rules that govern our stock markets

Create compensation rules to curb behavior that puts our financial system at risk

Strengthen the Volcker Rule to reduce risk

Enhance transparency in the banking system

Enhance international cooperation to curb excessive risk-taking

droid

"Physicians who trained in the Middle East, about 15,000 total [8,243 from banned countries] make up nearly 10 percent of all foreign-trained medical graduates practicing in the U.S. today, and their work follows the same pattern as that of other doctors trained abroad — they disproportionately work in less-lucrative specialties, in high-shortage counties and in counties that voted heavily for Trump."

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...arder-to-find-a-psychiatrist-or-pediatrician/

Sick people swung to Trump.

C37nYXSW8AIf5Vj.jpg

sadmanbarty

"I’m talking about a rule change from the late Obama era intended to reduce conflicts of interest between financial advisers and their clients saving for retirement. Most people are unaware that any such conflicts exist, but they do, and at significant costs to retirement savers. By requiring financial advisers to follow an established, fiduciary standard, the rule, which was slated to take effect in April, is simply intended to more closely align the interests and goals of those trying to do the right thing — save for retirement — and their advisers.

Last Friday, the Trump administration signed an executive order designed to undermine the rule before it takes effect. In an economy in which retirement security is already too precarious, doing so is a big policy mistake. But it is also a particularly blatant example of the phoniness of President Trump’s populism. His order is a gift to financial markets and a slap at some of the people who voted him into office, most of whom, according to a recent poll, support the fiduciary rule (65 percent support; 17 percent oppose)."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...erything:homepage/card&utm_term=.2b62b804e844

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Unbelievable, really, what you can get away with when you're A) white and B) pandering to racists.

You can be transparently incompetent, dishonest and immoral, just so long as your skin isn't dark.

Irony being that Trump is supposed to be the 'ANTI PC' President.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Like others commenting under that essay, I don't buy Trump et al as evil geniuses, unless they're really going out of their way to play dumb:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ttacks-berlin-truck-killings?CMP=share_btn_tw

'The document also includes spelling mistakes such as “attaker” instead of “attacker” and “Denmakr” instead of “Denmark”.'

Stuff like this. Perhaps you could argue they are appealing to their uneducated voter base by being so slapdash, or that they're lulling their enemies into a false sense of security. But wouldn't their fascist plan be better served by them producing properly spellchecked documents?

But I totally can see that version of the future unfolding, whether by 'accident' or design. It's obviously true that if the US/Russia/Europe were in the danger zone for immediate climate change effects their would be much greater pressure on governments to produce clean energy. And 'out of sight, out of mind' is one of the leading causes, or enablers, of cruelty.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Also, can we have a virtual round of applause for John Bercow? It's about fucking time someone with some sort of establishment position offered a bit of opposition to the mad orange fuck, especially after May's pathetic toadying.

Stross makes a living writing about heroic nerds teaming up with sexy mermaids to kick Cthulhu's ass. I'm not saying that means he's wrong, as such. But.

I find most (but certainly not all) of his stuff unreadable. Cat-meming beta snarkiness. Ugh. Stross is at his best when doom-dredging (see Missile Gap or The Colder War). There is an endpoint to the far right's thinking that he has tuned into and it's clearly of the "Daddy, what was a Muslim?" variety.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I still think there's something to the notion that Trump winning is a good thing in terms of holding the corruption of the status quo up to a spotlight for all to see, but OTOH it's a total fucking disaster and I wish Hillary had won.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I still think there's something to the notion that Trump winning is a good thing in terms of holding the corruption of the status quo up to a spotlight for all to see, but OTOH it's a total fucking disaster and I wish Hillary had won.

Apart from the fact that it's just a total fucking disaster, it's also a total disaster because anyone now looks reasonable who isn't an unashamed racist who want to bring about WWIII. Expectations couldn't be lower for the next leader (presuming he doesn't declare himself president for life). Kind of like the Blair effect after 18 years of Tory rule, multiplied by 10. Any wanker will do as long as they're not Trump.

Which is precisely why, rather than showing the corruption up to the light, this has made everyday corruption utterly unremarkable and even more acceptable. Utterly terrible people are being held up as heroes because they aren't Trump/criticise Trump, which has all the moral weight of saying that the Black Death might not actually be a good thing. Theresa May would obviously welcome the Black Death if it could be proven to have a positive effect upon the economy.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
You're right, of course. I recently found myself cheering on the CIA, for example.

I meant that the ineptitude and transparency of this pack of bastards pulls the curtain on the common and garden corruption of the more slickly packaged politicos, but of course, yes, it makes the more commonly corrupt appear saint like by comparison.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Ha, yes - it's so confusing, a whole new hall of mirrors that we have to get used to. I hit my limit when there was a piece in the Guardian about how we 'need good conservatives'. I sort of get the point, but it's such a bleak one. I'm worried I'll mutter 'yes mate!' under my breath when Iain Duncan Smith says something that doesn't directly advocate the extermination of the human race in the near future. Although if he did, it would probably only make page 7.

it' be interesting to read something about the worst choices that have been made in the wake of insane leaders leaving the post.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I hit my limit when there was a piece in the Guardian about how we 'need good conservatives'.

Ken Clarke - the Tory it's OK to like! (tm)

Well at least *someone* is offering some opposition to Brexit, as vain as it may be in the end.