baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I've frequently been guilty of feeling affection for Ken Clarke, but in the cold light of day and after reading his biog, it's clear he is an amiable maniac.

Brexit is so mad, that even some mad people are against it. But hey, apparently PWC says Britain will be OK by 2050, with the fairly major caveat that that holds as long as there's not some kind of horrible crisis before then.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Such as, for example, the collapse of a large portion of the biosphere.

(I'm giving droid a night off, OK?)

droid

+ antibiotic failure, market collapse, carbon bubble, pandemic, disease driven crop collapse, nuclear winter... to name just a few more we know about.

droid

Interesting comment from Quora:

I just had dinner tonight with one of Donald's higher profile supporters. It was a business dinner and he is a client of mine, so I won't be naming names here. He spent millions on the Trump campaign and vocally supported him in the press and media. He very much knows my political position, as I know his, so we tend to not discuss our political beliefs, but we connect very well intellectually. His business style is disruptive to say the least, and he truly believes America should punt on having a businessman or an accountant in the Whitehouse instead of a lawmaker or politician.

His desire is a businessman that could outsource the lawmaking-social-policies-arm of the job and concentrate on the harder decisions and budget balancing. I never discuss politics or religion with business partners and clients as a golden rule but tonight he brought up Trump and it felt like he wanted me to play devil’s advocate. I laid down the ground rules of the fact that I don't approve or support a single policy proposal of Donald’s and any discussion on them would be fair game. I had no idea what was coming next. He fears the entire campaign, the millions spent, the press announcements and interviews may have been an unmitigated mistake. I have very good contacts in government and the Democratic Party; he has personal phone numbers for 20 senior people in the Whitehouse. He says, by all accounts, Donald is not the businessman anyone on his team expected: week one he is out of control, his concentration is all off point, his ego is 3 times the size it was the day before inauguration, senior staff are ready to quit. There is no focus at the top and this is filtered through the entire building. This is all just hearsay at this point - supposedly 3 people have already walked out of meetings with the president due to his demeanour. He is being undermined by senior staff.

I imagine any new administration has a hectic period, but supposedly, his is already almost open rebellion. My friend is fringe republican and more libertarian than anything else; his main concern is, instead of outsourcing policies as he hoped, Trump is handing the books to the Republican Party, which, of course, is referring to states’ rights to enact future policies limiting personal freedoms. My friend has stopped actively supporting Trump and I am confident that he will publicly denounce his administration in the future if a single person's rights policy is passed on his watch.

It will take my friend, and a handful more like him, to weaken Trump’s support from its base. He told everyone what they wanted to hear. The high-profile supporters with more money who cry foul will wake up his blue collar supporters.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
'He says, by all accounts, Donald is not the businessman anyone on his team expected'

Really?! Surely a savvy businessman should have been able to see an incompetent egomaniac, always careering towards one bankruptcy or another, when they saw one?

Von Papen mk. 2

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
'He says, by all accounts, Donald is not the businessman anyone on his team expected'

Really?! Surely a savvy businessman should have been able to see an incompetent egomaniac, always careering towards one bankruptcy or another, when they saw one?

Von Papen mk. 2

Don't underestimate the ability of even very smart people to blind themselves to the obvious when they've got the sweet, sweet scent of $$$ in their nostrils.

Leo

Von Papen mk. 2

yeah, big surprise, right? everyone in ny has always viewed trump as a typical real estate guy: big ego, big mouth, more street smart than strategic, intellectually lazy, a blowhard who likes use lawyers to intimidate, accustomed to getting ahead by wheeling'n dealing and greasing the palms (aka, bribing) of the right people.

not much has changed.

vimothy

yurp
Politico 's recent article on the "network of obscure intellectuals" elevated to prominence by Trump was pretty awful. Here are some better ones on the people behind "Trumpism":

Michael Anton (author of "The Flight 93 Election") and Harry Jaffa: http://theweek.com/articles/678310/why-many-conservative-intellectuals-became-trumpists

Stepehen Miller and the appeal of nationalism: http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/02/decoding-stephen-miller-nationalist-mind

Julia Hahn, Rasputin's Rasputin: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/02/13/becoming-steve-bannons-bannon

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
yeah, big surprise, right? everyone in ny has always viewed trump as a typical real estate guy: big ego, big mouth, more street smart than strategic, intellectually lazy, a blowhard who likes use lawyers to intimidate, accustomed to getting ahead by wheeling'n dealing and greasing the palms (aka, bribing) of the right people.

not much has changed.

I would think that with any business leaders who supported Trump, the appeal was that he's a useful idiot that they can get to do whatever they want. (Borne out by the revelation that he's been signing executive orders without even reading them.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Anyone else been enjoying Donaeld The Unready on twitter? I know 'joke' twitter accounts are ten a penny these days, but Trump reimagined as a self-aggrandizing Anglo-Saxon king is actually pretty funny.

donaeldunready_thumb.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I would think that with any business leaders who supported Trump, the appeal was that he's a useful idiot that they can get to do whatever they want. (Borne out by the revelation that he's been signing executive orders without even reading them.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
In other Trump news, also from Snopes: Sean Spicer retweeted a satirical (obviously) video from The Onion - about himself...

http://www.snopes.com/sean-spicer-onion-retweet/

On 29 January 2017, the satirical online publication The Onion tweeted a video titled “5 Things to Know About Sean Spicer,” with the text of the tweet spoofing the White House press secretary by asserting that his “role in the Trump administration will be to provide the American public with robust and clearly articulated misinformation”

I'm reminded of the Orwell quote about how goose-stepping is intentionally ridiculous-looking, the point being to dare the onlooker to laugh.