Page 46 of 110 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump

Aha. Fair enough; my bad.

some people on this thread should re-read "1984".

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    some people on this thread should re-read "1984".
    Possibly, but I have a Trump sympathising acquaintance who said the same about many on the left recently.

Obv I read it as a teenager, rewatched the Hurt/Burton film recently. I'm not sure exactly what a re-read would do for me tbh.
    Last edited by comelately; 22-01-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Overly assiduous policing of public discourse certainly helped brazenly plain-speaking Trump and Farage to stand out; moderates held their noses to enjoy the frisson of free speech.

It's the frisson of breaking taboos Yeah. Like a child giggling over a big fart.

'The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.'

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    It's the frisson of breaking taboos Yeah. Like a child giggling over a big fart.
    A big trump, in fact!
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I think the pertinent analogy is that the children scolded for letting out an involuntary cough or sigh find themselves having to side with the trumping troublemaker of the class, because he's the only one brave enough to stand up to the authoritarian teacher and his oppressive rules (which creation and enforcement deliver a frisson of their own).

Yeah, the oppressive rules of liberalism.

Heres a secret. People who think political correctness have gone mad are usually credulous bigoted sacks of shit to begin with.

I cant believe we're having this conversation in 2017.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    I cant believe we're having this conversation in 2017.
    You might want to consider getting over that.

Thanks for the advice. I could think of several things you might want to consider as well.

Please go ahead!

I mean, I think you're in danger of misunderstanding my position - I'm not in love with such things, I just understand (well believe at any rate) that these conversations are inevitable. What I think the Alt-Right and such have done quite a good job of doing is that establishing is that a lot of people on the Left do not really understand their implicit intellectual positions, and this definitely needs to change.
    Last edited by comelately; 22-01-2017 at 07:52 PM.

I think the left understands the intellectual positions of the Alt-Reich perfectly. Thats why they're punching them in the head on live TV.

Who claimed Obama was jesus?
    Well Alex Grey came sort of close:

Have you actually read anything about his cabinet picks? Tillerson was complicit in what has been described as perhaps 'the most evil corporate act in history'. Pence favours electro-shock therapy for gays. Betsy DeVos wants to defund public education, Tom Price is an anti-vaxxer and Wakefield has been consulted on health policy, Scott Pruitt is a climate denier and Koch brothers proxy, Jeffrey Sessions is an avowed racist who wants to rollback civil rights for blacks. Virtually every single one of them is like some kind of hyper-Cheney.
    I think the situation is genuinely so bleak that it's almost impossible to hyperbolic about it. I've always found it tedious when people call objectionable mainstream politicians fascists or Nazis or compare them to Hitler, but however you look at it, Trump is, if not literally a fascist, then at least an authoritarian with proto-fascist tendencies, and some of his most high-profile supporters identify themselves as fascists.

Edit: a 'like' from droid! The times we live in, eh?
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 23-01-2017 at 10:26 AM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post: