Page 58 of 117 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    The issue I have is the assertions that this is a machiavellian plot to draw out protests and therefore this resistance is somehow playing into his hands, that nothing can be done that they haven't already thought of. That they are 20 steps ahead.
    so i think this is were we have a basic disconnect: i'm not aware of many people who are actually making this assertion or believe it to be true. perhaps a few pundits have made this point, but i really haven't heard it from people here.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rubberdingyrapids View Post
    lol

trumps black history month speech
    oh man, it gets even better:

In which Trump discovers some guy named Frederick Douglass

President Trump is capable of many a miracle. On Wednesday, after just 12 days on the job, he raised the dead.

Addressing a small group of African American aides and supporters to kick off Black History Month, the new president not only offered pro forma praise for the usual suspects — Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman, Martin Luther King Jr. — but also singled out somebody who recently caught his attention.

“Frederick Douglass,” Trump said, “is an example of somebody who’s done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more, I notice.”

Amazing job, Frederick! Great work!

It’s unlikely anybody could recognize Douglass today, because he died in 1895. And though Trump may not have noticed it previously, Douglass has long occupied a revered place in American history: escaped slave, iconic abolitionist, world-renowned author and publisher and counselor to presidents.

But Trump’s awkwardness was not limited to placing Douglass in the present perfect tense. He also declared: “During this month, we honor the tremendous history of the African Americans throughout our country — throughout the world, if you really think about it, right?”

Well, if you really think about it, being African American is, by definition, limited to Americans. But no matter. He was on a roll.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.e715e7f8b056

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    so i think this is were we have a basic disconnect: i'm not aware of many people who are actually making this assertion or believe it to be true. perhaps a few pundits have made this point, but i really haven't heard it from people here.
    Sure, Im reacting to the tech wonks and their widely shared coup articles.

I think the purposefulness is a side issue. They probably didn't purposefully see if federal agents would pick sides between the executive and the judiciary, but we have now found out that they will.

Likewise, they're not encouraging protests, yet it's not hard to imagine how they can fit the protests into their narrative.

So I'd agree with droid that the conspiratorial components of these articles are silly, but they're raising good points despite the conspiracy theorising.

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    So I'd agree with droid that the conspiratorial components of these articles are silly, but they're raising good points despite the conspiracy theorising.
    and i agree with you and droid in that these theories are silly, point of difference being i contend that almost no one here (outside of those who enjoy conspiracy theories) is even discussing them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

On the one hand:

The program, "Countering Violent Extremism," or CVE, would be changed to "Countering Islamic Extremism" or "Countering Radical Islamic Extremism," the sources said, and would no longer target groups such as white supremacists who have also carried out bombings and shootings in the United States.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN15G5VO

on the other hand:

1251227849_kanye_west_290x402.jpg

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mixed_biscuits View Post
    'their rapists' rather than 'they're rapists'.

hey, he was getting a little sleepy and grumpy, so what, right?

One person familiar with the circumstances on Saturday notes that President Trump's phone call with Turnbull came after a long day of conversations with other foreign leaders -- Turnbull was the fifth call after conversations with Japanese Prime Minister Abe, French President Hollande, German Chancellor Merkel, and Russian President Putin, each of which lasted close to an hour.

Trump, this source said, was feeling some fatigue after his first major bout of diplomacy. And while his earlier conversations weren't necessarily contentious, they did involve some tense moments. Merkel and Hollande pushed back on the travel ban over the phone. Merkel felt she had to explain the Geneva Convention to Trump -- a lecture a source has said Trump chafed at.

A government official familiar with Trump's interactions with foreign leaders said, "(Trump's) interactions are naive in that he keeps suggesting we will have the best relationship ever with a broad departure of countries, but there is no substance to back it up. When he encounters a policy challenge, like with Turnbull, he responds with a tantrum."
    whatever happened to all that campaign talk about "stamina"? reassuring.

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    On the one hand:

The program, "Countering Violent Extremism," or CVE, would be changed to "Countering Islamic Extremism" or "Countering Radical Islamic Extremism," the sources said, and would no longer target groups such as white supremacists who have also carried out bombings and shootings in the United States.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN15G5VO

on the other hand:

1251227849_kanye_west_290x402.jpg

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/31/...w-enforcement/

A disproportionate number of Muslims have been included on the watchlist, and because the database is accessible to federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies nationwide, the ACLU said, they are exposed to “unwarranted scrutiny or investigation by police.” That level of scrutiny has hardly been applied to white supremacists, however, even though the country’s first anti-terrorism laws, in the 1870s, were aimed at protecting black citizens from groups like the KKK, and despite the ongoing threat posed by these extremists.

“This is a fundamental problem in this country: We simply do not take this flexible, and forgiving, and exceptionally understanding approach for combating any other form of terrorism,” said Jones. “Anybody who’s on social media advocating support for ISIS can be criminally charged with very little effort.”

Ending a statement with a single word sentence eg sad is a great rhetorical device tbf.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    whatever happened to all that campaign talk about "stamina"? reassuring.
    Yeah, that trumpian sentence structure is quite infectious! yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Ending a statement with a single word sentence eg sad is a great rhetorical device tbf.
    Excellent observation there, luka. Clever!
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Just in case anyone's missed it, latest madness is Spicer/Flynn claiming that Iran attacked a US ship to justify belligerence on iran, when in fact Houthi's attacked a Saudi ship.

https://theintercept.com/2017/02/02/...an-act-of-war/

And Conway claiming the fictitious bowling green massacre justifies the Muslim ban:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...never-happened

Insane as this is, similar claims of the former have been treated with far less skepticism in the past - with historical and well known results.