Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2969777879
Results 1,171 to 1,177 of 1177

Thread: Trump

Is Spicer the new Comical Ali, then?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Is Spicer the new Comical Ali, then?
    Definitely some similarities there

the trickle down effect: a guy in my town started a blog a few years ago covering local politics, and ever since the presidential election he's gone all alt-right and now fancies himself as a steve bannon mini-me. i'm currently in the midst of a humorous (to me, anyway) flame war with him in the comments section of a separate local blog and he's trying to adapt every brietbart/alex jones cliche to the town's upcoming mayoral race.

it's entertaining, but also a reminder that trumpism is filtering down. now every rightwing keyboard warrior feels empowered to be their own local honey badger.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post

it's entertaining, but also a reminder that trumpism is filtering down. now every rightwing keyboard warrior feels empowered to be their own local honey badger.
    Sure enough, but isn't that a bit of a "chicken and egg" question? (Far) Right wing and populist politics (with tangents towards conspiracy craziness) have quite a tradition in the USA (McCarthy, Goldwater, George Wallace, Perrot etc). There have been populists in power in other countries, and they usually self-destructed sooner or later via incompetence. Trump will very likely go down the same road. Question is, how much damage will be done in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    Sure enough, but isn't that a bit of a "chicken and egg" question? (Far) Right wing and populist politics (with tangents towards conspiracy craziness) have quite a tradition in the USA (McCarthy, Goldwater, George Wallace, Perrot etc). There have been populists in power in other countries, and they usually self-destructed sooner or later via incompetence. Trump will very likely go down the same road. Question is, how much damage will be done in the process.
    i guess my point was more how the rise of brietbart/trump seems to have empowered followers to emulate their approach on a local level in city politics. we've had contentious local mayoral campaigns in the past but never had a self-professed bannon/jones-type shit stirrer involved.

Fair enough - question is, does that clown actually influence people or is he just cluttering up the local blog's comment sections? Such folks seem to have a tendency to become obsessive (or are from the very beginning)

yeah, honestly he is more delusional than influential. also, i live in a heavily democratic area where trump got only about 20% of the vote versus hillary, so that type of alt-right shit doesn't fly here. in other parts of the country, however, it probably does.