Page 82 of 85 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1268

Thread: Trump

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    Trump Administration Rejects Study Showing Positive Impact of Refugees

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/1...il0=y&referer=
    i would tend to reject such studies too - either refugees have a right to asylum or not, it's not something that should be earned or only available if there's a net financial benefit to hosts,
    (not sure that's trumpism's logic though )

I think that's a very good point. Logically it implies (or at least suggests) that refugees are welcome depending on whether they're economically beneficial. I suspect though that many of the people who cite such studies do so for tactical reasons, not because they agree with that.

Thats liberalism for ya.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

This tendency fucks me off no end. I got really annoyed by a lot of the pro-refugee material that was being put around last year that went on about how beneficial they could be for us - I mean, how much of a cunt have you got to be to think "Well I *might* accept these people into my country who've lost everything and been through horrors I can barely imagine, but what's in it for me?"? (Edit: although as with vim's remarks about the study, if these posters improve public attitudes towards refugees then they've done what they were intended to do. Even so, the insistence that all refugees are saints has the potential to backfire badly when some of them turn out not to be.)

It's all of a piece with those shitty road safety awareness posters that feature various slim, good-looking teenagers lying dead in the road and make a big deal about what they could have been if they'd lived - doctor, pop star, ballerina, footballer (that's the black lad, naturally) - as if the tragedy inheres not in the death in itself, but in the waste of potential. The implication being that if the dead kid had been destined to work in a supermarket or call centre, then frankly who cares, it's not important.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 21-09-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Shout out to Lebron.

so predictable: in addition to the encroaching mueller investigation, trump's probably going to suffer two stinging setbacks this week: the candidate he's backed in the alabama GOP senate primary will probably lose and yet another GOP attempt to repeal obamacare will in all likelihood fail. so he tosses a bomb to get media and everyone else all riled up and focused somewhere else. he was in alabama campaigning, so figured he'd throw out some racist red meat to the base.

don't be distracted by the shinny object.

an actual quote from the president of the united states, leader of the free world:

"This [Puerto Rico] is an island sitting in the middle of an ocean. And it’s a big ocean, it’s a very big ocean." -- Donald Trump, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    "This [Puerto Rico] is an island sitting in the middle of an ocean. And it’s a big ocean, it’s a very big ocean." -- Donald Trump, 2017
    Day by day, G.W.B. is seeming in retrospect more and more like a latter-day Wilde.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Those tax cut plans are utter insanity.

clarification:

President Trump on Friday said the disaster relief effort in Puerto Rico is complicated because it is “surrounded by water.”

"This is an island, surrounded by water. Big water. Ocean water,” the president said during a speech in Washington on his tax plan.

Saudi king's visit to Russia heralds shift in global power structures

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y_to_clipboard

Is it conspiracy theoryish to speculate that this might have been Putin's motive in hacking the US elections? Or just common sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Saudi king's visit to Russia heralds shift in global power structures

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y_to_clipboard

Is it conspiracy theoryish to speculate that this might have been Putin's motive in hacking the US elections? Or just common sense?
    Sounds pretty plausible to me. I would suggest that it's probably one of Putin's motives for interfering with the last US election.

But the consequences of closer Saudi-Russian ties would be immense, not least in that it would mean weakening Saudi-US ties almost by default. (edit: Russia!) already has a firm ally in the region in Iran and an effective client state in Syria, and while Russia-Turkey relations have been strained in recent years, Putin personally met with Erdogan last week. They're men after each other's hearts, both with a keen interest in internal security and with troublesome would-be breakaway regions to keep under the heel.

If Saudi Arabia and Turkey were to turn towards Russia as their principle partners in the world outside the Middle East, that would leave Israel as the USA's only real partner in the region.

Having said that, there are such colossal business ties between SA and the USA (as well as with the UK) that I can't see the Saudi leadership doing anything just yet that would jeopardise that.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 05-10-2017 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Sounds pretty plausible to me. I would suggest that it's probably one of Putin's motives for interfering with the last US election.

But the consequences of closer Saudi-Russian ties would be immense, not least in that it would mean weakening Saudi-US ties almost by default. Iran already has a firm ally in the region in Iran and an effective client state in Syria, and while Russia-Turkey relations have been strained in recent years, Putin personally met with Erdogan last week. They're men after each other's hearts, both with a keen interest in internal security and with troublesome would-be breakaway regions to keep under the heel.

If Saudi Arabia and Turkey were to turn towards Russia as their principle partners in the world outside the Middle East, that would leave Israel as the USA's only real partner in the region.

Having said that, there are such colossal business ties between SA and the USA (as well as with the UK) that I can't see the Saudi leadership doing anything just yet that would jeopardise that.
    Hey, that sounds like any self-respecting "anti-imperialist's" wet dream, right?

On a more serious note, I think the motives are quite simple: Russia and the Saudis need higher oil prices (Putin more than the Saudi's) so being on good terms gives them the opportunity to increase the pressure on the oil market.

In the case of Putin interfering with the US elections: Hillary had a staunch anti-putin stance. Trump was (and likely still is very much so) a Putin fan-boy.

Nice side effect: all the countries Putin is connecting to view human rights as some useless western cultural imperialism. Just as Putin himself.
    Last edited by firefinga; 05-10-2017 at 07:28 PM.

moron?