Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3575838485
Results 1,261 to 1,268 of 1268

Thread: Trump

Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post
    So would Weinsten et al have been exposed had it not been for Trump?
    probably. harvey's power and influence have waned in recent years as his newer films became less successful than his previous ones. once actors didn't fear him as much or have to look the other way at his bad behavior in other to get plumb film roles, they felt more empowered to speak out.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    probably. harvey's power and influence have waned in recent years as his newer films became less successful than his previous ones. once actors didn't fear him as much or have to look the other way at his bad behavior in other to get plumb film roles, they felt more empowered to speak out.
    What of the others, Louis CK, Kevin Spacey ...? it feels like something has changed, leaving them exposed, and the change must in some way be a backlash against the groper-in-chief surely?

good question/
    it is, in fact, a very mysterious process.
    why the token sacrifices and why now?

change is definitely afoot, in all industries and companies large and small. and yes, trump was a big part of raising the issue, but then again one could say it did him no harm: he just dismissed the accusations, shamed the alleged victims and won the election anyway.

it's been bubbling for years with the decades of accusations and settlements paid by bill o'reilly, bill cosby, etc. perhaps part of the reason we're seeing more victims coming out is because they are older now, more secure in their positions in life and less scared of what could happen to them. it's all a power thing, and once the predator's power wanes, the victims feel empowered to speak out.

also...we all knew this type of thing happened to some degree but holy shit, it's looking like so many men are just fucking pigs.

I think it's also the increasing power of feminism, gay/trans rights, etc. Not that the aims of these groups are even close to being reached, but in some areas, at least, it's less and less a white man's world. (And that's obviously a big boon for Trump, who can promise the white men their world back.)

I can't quite remember how the ball got rolling on this American scandal-fest; I feel like the UK for once got the jump on the yanks with Operation Yewtree, but maybe I've got that wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    good question/
    it is, in fact, a very mysterious process.
    why the token sacrifices and why now?
    The (semi-)public loves witchhunts, and this time the witches are old men. Old men, mostly part of the "hollywood elite"
    Last edited by firefinga; Yesterday at 08:10 PM.

interesting to see the media and public reaction when the guilty party isn't a conservative but someone beloved by liberals/progressives (frankin, spacey, louie ck). i'm guilty, admit to enjoying the downfall of roger ailes, o'reilly and various hypocritical "family values" conservative politicians and religious types who get outed but feel more disappointed and bummed when the same thing comes out about a liberal. "they" are supposed to be the good guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    so many men are just fucking pigs.
    This has its own thread already: http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=10378
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you