Leo

if you don't want to watch the entire 7:40, start at the 4:00 mark...from four years ago, sounds vaguely familiar.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This is a nice (/horrifying) compilation of Trump's offensive, stupid and/or nonsensical statements on the big issues:

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v38/n20/eliot-weinberger/who-wont-be-voting-for-trump

African Americans
Trump is currently polling at 0-1 per cent among African Americans. (In some districts, they couldn’t find a single supporter.) However, Trump has stated that when he runs for his second term as president, ‘I guarantee you that I will get over 95 per cent of the African American vote. I promise you. Because I will produce.’

Women
Trump: ‘There’s nothing I love more than women, but they’re really a lot different than portrayed. They are far worse than men, far more aggressive, and boy, can they be smart!’

The Modest
Interviewer: ‘Who are you talking to consistently – since we have some dire foreign policy issues percolating around the world right now – who are you consulting with consistently so that you’re ready on day one?’ Trump: ‘I’m speaking with myself, number one, because I have a very good brain, and I’ve said a lot of things.’

Peace Lovers
Trump: ‘I’m good at war. I’ve had a lot of wars of my own. I’m really good at war. I love war in a certain way. But only when we win.’

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Bush had this talent for mangling the English language into some sort of new form, a Bushese, and Trump has that too, but even more so.

A literary stylist would have to work for months to come up with a voice so inimitable and blackly comic.

vimothy

yurp
They're similar in that sense, but Trump is even worse, in that he doesn't only trip over his words, but also says things that no member of the political elite would say.

vimothy

yurp
Which is of course why he's so popular (consider as well that on some important issues like trade or foreign policy he's to the left of Clinton). It's ironic that after both Sanders and Trump and the obvious desire for change they represent, America may well end up with the ultimate establishment candidate in office.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
More like Sauron the deceiver's.

Nah. When Sauron tricked the Noldor, he came across as Mr Super Smooth, all nice and benevolent and jolly and helpful. Trump is far more of a "what you see is what you get" character, isn't he? I mean, if he were to get elected, gods forbid, no-one would get much mileage out of "But why didn't anyone TELL US he's a mentally unstable, misogynist, racist egomaniac with no understanding of domestic or international politics and scant regard for the basics of democracy?".

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Some of his statements are so blithely self-contradictory that I'm reminded of something I have read about psychopaths.

Here's one of Trump's statements:

‘I know much about climate change. I’d be – received environmental awards. And I often joke that this is done for the benefit of China. Obviously, I joke. But this is done for the benefit of China, because China does not do anything to help climate change. They burn everything you could burn; they couldn’t care less. They have very – you know, their standards are nothing. But they – in the meantime, they can undercut us on price. So it’s very hard on our business.’

and here's a version of what I read:

What makes psychopaths different from all others is the remarkable ease with which they lie, the pervasiveness of their deception, and the callousness with which they carry it out.

But there is something else about the speech of psychopaths that is equally puzzling: their frequent use of contradictory and logically inconsistent statements that usually escape detection. Recent research on the language of psychopaths provides us with some important clues to this puzzle, as well as to the uncanny ability psychopaths have to move words - and people- around so easily. […]

Here are some examples:

When asked if he had ever committed a violent offense, a man serving time for theft answered, "No, but I once had to kill someone."

A woman with a staggering record of fraud, deceit, lies, and broken promises concluded a letter to the parole board with, "I've let a lot of people down… One is only as good as her reputation and name. My word is as good as gold."

A man serving a term for armed robbery replied to the testimony of an eyewitness, "He's lying. I wasn't there. I should have blown his fucking head off."

From an interview with serial killer Elmer Wayne Henley:

Interviewer: "You make it out that you're the victim of a serial killer, but if you look at the record you're a serial killer."
Henley: "I'm not."
I: "You're not a serial killer?"
H: "I'm not a serial killer."
I: You're saying you're not a serial killer now, but you've serially killed."
H: "Well, yeah, that's semantics."

And so on. The point that the researchers noted was that psychopaths seem to have trouble monitoring their own speech. What is more, they often put things together in strange ways, such as this series of remarks from serial killer Clifford Olson: "And then I had annual sex with her." "Once a year?" "No. Annual. From behind." "Oh. But she was dead!" "No, no. She was just unconscientious." About his many experiences, Olson said, "I've got enough antidotes to fill five or six books - enough for a trilogy." He was determined not to be an "escape goat" no matter what the "migrating facts." [Hare, Without Conscience]

http://www.cassiopaea.com/cassiopaea/psychopath.htm

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Nah. When Sauron tricked the Noldor, he came across as Mr Super Smooth, all nice and benevolent and jolly and helpful. Trump is far more of a "what you see is what you get" character, isn't he? I mean, if he were to get elected, gods forbid, no-one would get much mileage out of "But why didn't anyone TELL US he's a mentally unstable, misogynist, racist egomaniac with no understanding of domestic or international politics and scant regard for the basics of democracy?".

Should NOT have attempted to out nerd you.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I would like to point out that I enjoy parties, wash every day and have had sex, oh, several times.

"People say, and I hear them, they say I’m boring compared to Donald, but I’m not boring at all. In fact, I am the life of every party I attended, and I have been to three."

Re-using the same material, Tea? Now we see where your outrageous anti-Trump bias comes from

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'd like to get the hang of this Trump parody business.

All I know is 'Believe me'.

It's hard to get that sort of idiocy without dumbing down TOO MUCH. And the incoherence, but also the simplicity. Its hard. Believe me, it's hard.