mixed_biscuits

I think the pertinent analogy is that the children scolded for letting out an involuntary cough or sigh find themselves having to side with the trumping troublemaker of the class, because he's the only one brave enough to stand up to the authoritarian teacher and his oppressive rules (which creation and enforcement deliver a frisson of their own).

droid

Yeah, the oppressive rules of liberalism.

Heres a secret. People who think political correctness have gone mad are usually credulous bigoted sacks of shit to begin with.

I cant believe we're having this conversation in 2017.

droid

Thanks for the advice. I could think of several things you might want to consider as well.

comelately

Wild Horses
I mean, I think you're in danger of misunderstanding my position - I'm not in love with such things, I just understand (well believe at any rate) that these conversations are inevitable. What I think the Alt-Right and such have done quite a good job of doing is that establishing is that a lot of people on the Left do not really understand their implicit intellectual positions, and this definitely needs to change.

Last edited:

droid

I think the left understands the intellectual positions of the Alt-Reich perfectly. Thats why they're punching them in the head on live TV.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Who claimed Obama was jesus?

Well Alex Grey came sort of close:

james-kern1.jpg

Have you actually read anything about his cabinet picks? Tillerson was complicit in what has been described as perhaps 'the most evil corporate act in history'. Pence favours electro-shock therapy for gays. Betsy DeVos wants to defund public education, Tom Price is an anti-vaxxer and Wakefield has been consulted on health policy, Scott Pruitt is a climate denier and Koch brothers proxy, Jeffrey Sessions is an avowed racist who wants to rollback civil rights for blacks. Virtually every single one of them is like some kind of hyper-Cheney.

I think the situation is genuinely so bleak that it's almost impossible to hyperbolic about it. I've always found it tedious when people call objectionable mainstream politicians fascists or Nazis or compare them to Hitler, but however you look at it, Trump is, if not literally a fascist, then at least an authoritarian with proto-fascist tendencies, and some of his most high-profile supporters identify themselves as fascists.

Edit: a 'like' from droid! The times we live in, eh?

Last edited:

comelately

Wild Horses
I'm not saying it's not bleak, or that Trump can't reasonably be described as a fascist.

I myself think it's pretty funny that Mr Lügenpresse got his clock cleaned, but I think it may turn out to be a pyrrhic victory.

comelately

Wild Horses
The term 'Alternative Facts' is gaining traction in the UK media pretty fast.

But my Mother's partner has bought into the Trump line, fwiw.

luka

Can't believe theirs people here making detailed microlinguistic analyses of Trump speeches to excuse the patently inexcusable. So weirs. You've all been so desperate to say 'well blacks are genetically predisposed to crime' and 'women biology means they have an instinct for homekeeping'? It's felt like living behind an iron curtain? Let's examine this in more detail since you lot are obviously not alone in feeling so oppressed by liberal values of tolerance etc

luka

Things like YouTube comments prove this is a real thing. Racism and misogyny are taboos white men have been desperate to break. Taboos they felt oppressed by. Suffocated by. 30 plus years of political correctness overturned. It's like a revolution. You lot are right. It really is a revolution.

luka

And the left didn't make any meaningful attempt to harness the 'negative' energies hate, resentment, anger, fear. Too in hock to wealth and power to direct the negative energy towards the enemy. Co opted by the enemy. Sad.