Droid vs the omniconspiracy

giphy.gif

luka

i dont beleive in occams razor i think its moronic. i think trump is a gangster and a capitalist and gangsters and capitalists operate transnationally by necessity. the loyalty is to the operation not the country the operation is based out of.

droid

Hes compromised to fuck. it's the only plausible explanation for his actions wrt Russia. Plus theres the mountain of evidence connecting him and his cadre of goblins to Putin.

i dont beleive in occams razor i think its moronic. i think trump is a gangster and a capitalist and gangsters and capitalists operate transnationally by necessity. the loyalty is to the operation not the country the operation is based out of.

have you heard of Klosterman's Razor?
The philosophical belief that the best hypothesis is the one that reflexively accepts its potential wrongness to begin with.

from the book "but what if we're wrong?"
Though no generation believes there's nothing left to learn, every generation unconsciously assumes that what has already been defined and accepted is (probably) pretty close to how reality will be viewed in perpetuity. And then, of course, time passes. Ideas shift. Opinions invert. What once seemed reasonable eventually becomes absurd, replaced by modern perspectives that feel even more irrefutable and secure—until, of course, they don't.

What if it's not a question of whether or not Trump is Putin's poodle, but whether or not that matters or is even a bad thing.

droid

I question his premise. I think there's been several generations who've rejected almost everything that's come before.

That said, my line on Trump since the start is that the dismantling of US power in perhaps the most bloodless possible way isnt necessarily a bad thing, but my concerns are that we may all be killed in the process and the medium-long term outcomes are deeply uncertain.

I also find the sheer unmitigated stupidity of the whole thing incredibly irritating.

I question his premise. I think there's been several generations who've rejected almost everything that's come before.[/QUOTE]

That's his point. Future generations often reject many things previous generations held dear or assumed were permanent, in unpredictable ways.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
have you heard of Klosterman's Razor?
The philosophical belief that the best hypothesis is the one that reflexively accepts its potential wrongness to begin with.

from the book "but what if we're wrong?"
Though no generation believes there's nothing left to learn, every generation unconsciously assumes that what has already been defined and accepted is (probably) pretty close to how reality will be viewed in perpetuity. And then, of course, time passes. Ideas shift. Opinions invert. What once seemed reasonable eventually becomes absurd, replaced by modern perspectives that feel even more irrefutable and secure—until, of course, they don't.

I think we have a huge excess of this way of thinking at the moment, which lies at the root of all the flat earth/young earth nonsense, anti-vaxx prejudice, Holocaust revisionism etc. etc.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

luka

why is there such a crossover between keto-carnivores and trump supporters HMG? im not having a pop i have a genuinely sincere and earnest interest in this cultural phenomenon

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
why is there such a crossover between keto-carnivores and trump supporters HMG? im not having a pop i have a genuinely sincere and earnest interest in this cultural phenomenon

I suspect it has a lot to do with the fetishization of veganism by so much of the modern left. Simply the inverse of that.

luka

I suspect it has a lot to do with the fetishization of veganism by so much of the modern left. Simply the inverse of that.

this is a classic hallmark of tea thought. thank you for the succinct illustration. in tea-world the reactionary is only ever a product of progressive overreach. the equal and opposite reaction of physics restoring balance to a teetering world.

luka

it's not entirely wrongheaded. there are active and reactive forces. we do use the term reactionary for a reason.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Who says veganism is progressive?

I mean, of course plenty of people say it's progressive, or think that. I'm not convinced that means it is. But it's certainly become an important badge for displaying your membership of a certain tribe - just as avoiding vegetables altogether and trying to eat like a mountain lion has for their opposite numbers.

Edit: which is not to say these associations are purely arbitrary or could just as easily be reversed (although ecofascism is obviously a thing, and there's the notorious case of Hitler's vegetarianism). The desire to associate oneself with apex predators has an obvious appeal to people on the far right, and in the USA in particular that easily cross-fertilises with symbolic associations with the Wild West, pioneer self-sufficiency, survivalism and all of that.

Last edited:

luka

you dont need this explained to you and we are getting into stupid 'you' territory here which is always a warning sign.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
this is a classic hallmark of tea thought. thank you for the succinct illustration. in tea-world the reactionary is only ever a product of progressive overreach. the equal and opposite reaction of physics restoring balance to a teetering world.

Not "only ever", but they do go hand in hand. This is surely obvious?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
you dont need this explained to you and we are getting into stupid 'you' territory here which is always a warning sign.

Well alright, see the second sentence I added. I think the psychological associations at work are fairly explicit and easy to understand.