droid

Sadly, I think Craner's right about Trump being reelected. He appeals to a lot of Americans and his approval rating has been increasing since December. We can talk about meddling, gerrymandering and so on, but there's no getting round the fact that millions of people like and support him, some of them to the point of fanaticism. I also can't see the Dems producing anyone capable of beating him, there's nothing they can do to hit back.

There was an increase in December but its levelled out and is still historically low. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

Meanwhile dems are running 47 - 39 in the generic ballot. https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/2018_generic_congressional_vote-6185.html

Leo

I'm sure europeans find this comforting...

TRUMP indicated to Tucker Carlson on Fox News that he doesn’t agree with the idea that the U.S. should defend other NATO countries.

CARLSON: “Let’s say Montenegro, which joined [NATO] last year, was attacked, why should my son go to Montenegro to defend it from attack?”

TRUMP: “I understand what you’re saying. I asked the same question. You know, Montenegro is a tiny country with very strong people. … By the way, they’re very strong people. They’re very aggressive people. They may get aggressive and congratulations, you’re in World War III. Now, I understand it, but that’s the way it was set up. Don’t forget, I just got here a little more than a year and a half ago.”

Leo

not news but one of the more depressing things I've read of late...

Yes, almost every elected Republican we talk to privately thinks President Trump’s warm embrace of Vladimir Putin was unexplainable, unacceptable and un-American. Yes, they wish they could say this publicly. No, they won’t — not now, and probably never.

The cold, hard reason: They see no upside in speaking out — and fear political suicide if they do, numerous Republican officials tell us.

Why it matters: This is the mind-control power Trump has, thanks to 90 percent of Republicans approving of his tactics and performance.
These 90 percent empower and are empowered by Fox News and a pro-Trump social media ecosystem that always comes to the president’s defense, even if they flinch for a moment or two.

We just witnessed this power on full display:
You had a rare moment where virtually every Republican was aghast at Trump’s words.
But almost every Republican — except those leaving the stage — softened their direct criticism of Trump and ran from TV or reporters like the plague.

GOP lawmakers' immediate complaints about the press conference were quickly tempered. Trump’s cleanup and turnaround yesterday ("I said the word 'would' instead of 'wouldn't'") had one audience: Capitol Hill.
Senior staff saw a real risk of backlash — worse than after Charlottesville — if the brewing rebellion wasn’t nipped in the bud quickly, per sources close to White House.

Most Republican members of Congress don't need to do anything so radical as actually believe Trump is sincere about correcting himself.
They need a fig leaf so they can justify quickly returning to support their president, who is vastly more popular with Republican voters than any of them are.

P.S. Two tweets illuminate this phenomenon:

Mike Murphy, GOP strategist: "I’m furious R’s are cowardly about Trump. But here is what they say in private: 1.) Trump is a disgrace. 2.) I give fiery press conf tmmrw saying that. 3.) Nothing changes, Trump remains nuts and remains POTUS. 4.) A nut beats me in next primary. So how does my pol suicide help?"

Dave Wasserman of Cook Political Report: "Most Republican members are willing to admit POTUS doesn't operate in reality, but know they're doomed in their next primary if they say so publicly. As long as that's true, we're headed for a world w/ zero accountability."

The last word: Trump chimed in with a tweet at 5:53 Wednesday morning:
"So many people at the higher ends of intelligence loved my press conference performance in Helsinki. Putin and I discussed many important subjects at our earlier meeting. We got along well which truly bothered many haters who wanted to see a boxing match. Big results will come!"

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Who was the first president to really nail this misspeaking thing? I'd assume Nixon must have done something along these lines, but maybe it was more recent.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Who was the first president to really nail this misspeaking thing? I'd assume Nixon must have done something along these lines, but maybe it was more recent.

I expect GWB did it a fair few times, but the days when people used to mock him for his inarticulacy and poor vocabulary now seem like a distant and rather pleasant dream next to the present reality.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
True. Also possible to detect influences of GWB's folksy, vague style on Trump.

OK, I just found this:
This use of “misspeak” is of American origin. Oxford’s first example (“I believe he misspoke himself”) is drawn from, aptly, the Congressional Record, 1894; its second (“The President misspoke himself”) is from Richard Nixon’s iconic press secretary, Ron Zeigler, in 1973, annus mirabilis of the Classical period of American misspeaking.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2008/04/21/mr-and-ms-spoken

vimothy

yurp
As long as that's true, we're headed for a world w/ zero accountability

It's not really a world with zero accountability - it's a world with accountability to the wrong people ("A nut beats me in next primary. So how does my pol suicide help?")

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
True. Also possible to detect influences of GWB's folksy, vague style on Trump.

OK, I just found this:
This use of “misspeak” is of American origin. Oxford’s first example (“I believe he misspoke himself”) is drawn from, aptly, the Congressional Record, 1894; its second (“The President misspoke himself”) is from Richard Nixon’s iconic press secretary, Ron Zeigler, in 1973, annus mirabilis of the Classical period of American misspeaking.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2008/04/21/mr-and-ms-spoken

Along with its various derivatives, “misspeak” has become one of the signature verbal workhorses of this interminable political season, right up there with “narrative,” “Day One,” and “hope.” It carries the suggestion that, while the politician’s perfectly functioning brain has dispatched the correct signals, the mouth has somehow received and transmitted them in altered form. “Misspeak” is a powerful word, a magical word. It is a word that is apparently thought capable, in its contemporary political usage, of isolating a palpable, possibly toxic untruth, sealing it up in an airtight bag, and disposing of it harmlessly.

Such a feat of modern hygiene is impressive in a word of such ancient origins. The Oxford English Dictionary finds it in Chaucer (“I me repente / If I mis spak”), but the hoary examples involve meanings that are either obsolete (to calumniate) or irrelevant to the present case (to mispronounce or speak incorrectly, a specialty of George W. “Misunderestimated” Bush).

Ah, so we're not talking about simply stumbling over words, but bare-faced lying and then trying to cover your arse by claiming it was an 'error'.

Last edited:

Leo

It's not really a world with zero accountability - it's a world with accountability to the wrong people ("A nut beats me in next primary. So how does my pol suicide help?")

he meant trump is not being held accountable by GOP members of congress, who are afraid to speak out because they believe it would lead to them losing to a "nut" in their next election.

luka

Tim Kepler Women take advantage of men. Especially gentlemen.
Manage
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 16h
Derrick Martin
Derrick Martin I needed help with the reprogramming of my thought process, concerning the "superior" gender
Manage
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 16h
Adrienne Simpson
Adrienne Simpson I think TMASTT exists because there isn’t any other place that a man can discuss their issues without being condemned for having said them.
What brought me to this page was how honest the memes, which were shared on another page, were about what’s going on with men.
Both of those reasons are why I Liked this page.
Manage
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 16h · Edited
Michelle Bronny
Michelle Bronny The father's rights movement shared a couple of the memes from here
Manage
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 16h
Thoughts Men Aren't Supposed To Think
Thoughts Men Aren't Supposed To Think That's dope
Manage
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 16h
Jon Bayliss
Jon Bayliss There are too many places that refuse to acknowledge the persecution and unfair treatment men receive in soceity under the guise of equality instead of calling it what it is
Manage
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 16h
Diego Morales
Diego Morales Came because of shared content on other pages.
Stayed because found the page quite male empowering.
Manage
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 16h
Antaux Rollins
Antaux Rollins To be one in 100 pages not skewed female.
Manage
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 16h · Edited
Will Bretch
Will Bretch Support.
Manage
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 16h
Kenny Mann
Kenny Mann I'll take "fuck mysandry" for $1,000, Alex
Manage
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 16h · Edited
Christopher Frederick
Christopher Frederick Men's rights and men's support group.

Also, if you haven't already you should make this page a group so we can all post and discuss things together.
Manage
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 16h
Thoughts Men Aren't Supposed To Think There's a group. Its men only though. Guard Your Seed. (A Neccessary Conversation For Men)
Manage
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 16h
View more replies
Paul Douglas
Paul Douglas I’m sick of the double standards in society that ultimately mean that men are second class citizens
Manage
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 15h
Bryon Harris
Bryon Harris There are too many groups focused on a female audience, what they should be getting from men, and / or what men are doing wrong.
Manage
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 15h
Clarence D. Stinson
Clarence D. Stinson Cognitive dissonance.
Manage
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 15h
Talita Chaparrita
Talita Chaparrita I saw meme being shared on IG and here, via friends. I read the description of the page, the claims made, and figured it was a good place to continue to learn what not to do. I honestly hadn't anticipated the hate, which is why I limit myself to not r…See more
Manage
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 14h
Thoughts Men Aren't Supposed To Think I hate that it keeps you from engaging. But thank you for being so committed to us. You're definitely TMASTT family
Manage
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 14h
View more replies
Michael Larson
Michael Larson Thought it would be about more then being pissy with what woman do. Like guns, other guys, society's push of femmans nowadays. I keep a shred of hope it will become more then just bitching about bitches.

Maybe something like with guys can't fight things out with fists anymore and just be done with it. Or why men have been putting themselves in debt for clothes and jewellery for themselves.
Manage
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 13h
2 Replies · 11 hrs
Faces The Wind
Faces The Wind To punch holes in myths about the masculine
Manage
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 12h
Allan Bundy
Allan Bundy MGTOW nation
Manage
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 12h
Joe McAvinney
Joe McAvinney Why you started it? I don't know. Why I'm here? I find the comments and discussions interesting.
Manage
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 11h
Christopher McQuaid
Christopher McQuaid Why does it exist? I would say because we’ve been forced too long to water down what we say or say nothing because of how many people will shit on you for not being a “gentleman”. What brought me here? Searching to find out if I’m not alone in my thoughts and feel free to speak without getting shit on for having an opinion that differs from the typical “white knight” types.
Manage
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 10h
Anthony Ash
Anthony Ash It's a reality check we need to remind us that even in being nice, we gotta be men regardless
Manage
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 10h
Jackson Robinson
Jackson Robinson To feed hungry kings ... been getting my belly full 💯
Manage
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 9h
Sum Ion
Sum Ion because I have loads of friends but I feel lonely because the constant blabbing on about the righteous-quo makes be want to fucking explode. If I dare question, no matter how politely or subtly, I'll be a pariah in seconds.
Manage
LikeShow More Reactions
· Reply · 4h · Edited

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
you dont understand the point?

No, because I can't be arsed to read these cryptic, context-free social media dumps you like to stick into an otherwise more or less coherent discussion. I mean, clearly you enjoy nudging and winking and going "but isn't it obvious?!?!" but it's basically the same thing you criticise vim for.

luka

it's not remotely cryptic. it's of a piece with the red meat discussion. i think, and i realise im alone in this, that it's more interesting to ask ~what is trump made of~ than simply taking turns to throw up our hands and gasp at whatever trump has most recently done.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
it's not remotely cryptic. it's of a piece with the red meat discussion. i think, and i realise im alone in this, that it's more interesting to ask ~what is trump made of~ than simply taking turns to throw up our hands and gasp at whatever trump has most recently done.

No, you're not alone, even if you like the idea that you are. I've always thought Trump is more of a symptom than a cause of what's happening - without wishing to downplay his particular person qualities.

But these zero-effort cut'n'paste jobs, with no indication of where you've even got them, don't help move the discussion forward, I think.