Leo

Trump latest: apparently he's suggested, on more than one occasion, that hurricanes headed towards the USA could be stopped by nuking them:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...lear-weapons-disrupt-storm-bomb-a9078796.html

I can't help but find this grimly humorous. It's just like something a war-obsessed ten-year-old boy would say.

yeah, it's nutty and yeah he's an idiot....BUT it's actually been debated in the past:

Trump didn't invent this idea. The notion that detonating a nuclear bomb over the eye of a hurricane could be used to counteract convection currents dates to the Eisenhower era, when it was floated by a government scientist.

The idea keeps resurfacing in the public even though scientists agree it won't work. The myth has been so persistent that the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the U.S. government agency that predicts changes in weather and the oceans, published an online fact sheet for the public under the heading "Tropical Cyclone Myths Page."
The page states: "Apart from the fact that this might not even alter the storm, this approach neglects the problem that the released radioactive fallout would fairly quickly move with the tradewinds to affect land areas and cause devastating environmental problems. Needless to say, this is not a good idea."
About 3 weeks after Trump's 2016 election, National Geographic published an article titled, "Nuking Hurricanes: The Surprising History of a Really Bad Idea." It found, among other problems, that:

Dropping a nuclear bomb into a hurricane would be banned under the terms of the Peaceful Nuclear Explosions Treaty between the U.S. and the former Soviet Union. So that could stave off any experiments, as long as the U.S. observes the terms of the treaty.

https://www.axios.com/trump-nuclear-bombs-hurricanes-97231f38-2394-4120-a3fa-8c9cf0e3f51c.html

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Leo

One of Trump's most consistent talking points for the past decade was how Obama and Bush kept getting the US into "stupid wars", and how he'd get us out of all those stupid wars and bring our troops home. He talks with a bully's bluster but actually doesn't want to get tied up militarily all over the world. He never liked war-hawk Bolton, who was kind of forced on him by the Fox News/neo-con wing of the GOP (whose support Trump needed).

So in the end, it's not surprising at all that Trump would eventually dump Bolton.

Leo

a great renaissance-style tableau from the US House of Representatives investigative hearings on Trump, depicting all the competing factions surrounding chairman Nadler. cool shot.

merlin_160977231_ccf15b4d-a008-4c2f-bd3f-927f0e1eba5d-superJumbo.jpg

version

I dunno how reliable a source this is, but...

Massive "I Love America" Facebook page, pushing pro-Trump propaganda, is run by Ukrainians - https://popular.info/p/massive-i-love-america-facebook-page?no_cover=true

The "I Love America" Facebook page boasts 1.1 million fans, with viral content that reaches more Facebook users than some of the largest media outlets in the United States. A typical post is a celebration of the U.S. military and patriotism.

There are lots of references to "our country" and "our military." Not mentioned is that the page is managed by ten people based in Ukraine. (There is also one manager from Kazakhstan, one from France, and one from the United States.) A website that was previously linked in the "About" section of the "I Love America" page is registered to Andriy Zyuzikov, an online strategist from the Ukrainian city of Odessa.

The "I Love America" page regularly recycles memes used by the Internet Research Agency, the Russian entity that set up phony Facebook pages to benefit Trump in advance of the 2016 election.

While "I Love America," which was established in March 2017, focuses on patriotism, in recent weeks it has used its extraordinary reach to push pro-Trump propaganda.

The "I Love America" Facebook page has a massive reach on the platform that exceeds nearly all U.S. media companies. According to Crowdtangle, a social analytics company owned by Facebook, "I Love America" has more engagement -- likes, shares, and comments -- over the last 90 days than USA Today, one of the largest media organizations in the country with 8 million Facebook followers. Over the same period, the engagement of "I Love America" dwarfs major publications like the LA Times and digitally native outlets like BuzzFeed News. More engagement on Facebook corresponds directly to a bigger reach, and more people seeing the content.

Leo

not sure how you could stop things like that, or if they are technically even illegal.

also, Giuliani continues to amaze:

Also this morning, Giuliani refused to say if it was totally untrue that Trump had threatened to withhold aid from Ukraine:

Bartiromo: Did the president threaten to cut off aid to Ukraine?
Giuliani: No, no. That was a false story.
Bartiromo: 100 percent?
Giuliani: Well, I can’t tell you if it’s 100 percent.

IdleRich

IdleRich
He is amazing.... in fact the whole story is amazing. Trump just got off the hook... there was an investigation that went on for over a year and put half his friends in jail, and now he does the same thing again but worse and more blatant?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
He is amazing.... in fact the whole story is amazing. Trump just got off the hook... there was an investigation that went on for over a year and put half his friends in jail, and now he does the same thing again but worse and more blatant?

He probably just thinks he's totally bulletproof at this point. The worrying thing is that he might be entirely correct.

Leo

trump's truest statement, it turns out, was during the campaign when he said he could shoot someone on 5th ave and not lose any votes.

I used to anticipate a tipping point where, in response to his actions, trump's base dwindles to the point where republicans in congress no longer fear him or feel the need to support him, when trump's words won't impact on their reelections. neither has happened so far.

pence 2024!

Leo

shit just got real.

hope it works.

on the senate's unanimous resolution to hand the whistleblower complaint to congressional intelligence committees:

One of the most pressing questions of the hectic Tuesday involved why Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell chose to counter his block-everything legacy and fast-track the resolution. (McConnell chose to “hotline” the motion, meaning he bypassed normal Senate procedures to move Schumer’s request to a vote without floor debate.) Theories abound: Maybe the whistleblower complaint isn’t all that bad politically, and only personally embarrassing to the president? Conversely, maybe it’s so bad that realpolitik McConnell is prepared for a Pence presidency?

Last edited:

firefinga

Political suicide by Pelosi. Mark my words, again.

Trump CAN'T lose this. Even if he get's impeached, he'll be the martyr. If he doesn't, the Democrats are superbly discredited.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I gotta say that I don't think there is enough there to win this. And even if there was how would it get through a partisan senate? I can see that Pelosi was under a lot of pressure but I fear you're right Firefinga. Hope we're both wrong though.

version

Things get weirder by the day.

Moby named in connection with congressional investigation into Donald Trump and Deutsche Bank - https://www.residentadvisor.net/news/44523

According to the Times story from reporter David Enrich, Moby met Val Broeksmit, the son of late Deutsche Bank executive Bill Broeksmit, at a party in Los Angeles this year. Enrich says Moby introduced the younger Broeksmit to California representative Adam Schiff, who is leading an investigation into the relationship between Trump and Deutsche Bank. Broeksmit has been subpoenaed and has released info to the FBI, Congress and the federal reserve.