droid

Yes, rather than suspect Trump of being illogical for making racist, xenophobic statements, we should be as charitable as possible and rewrite his speech to make it seem like he wasnt being racist even though he said exactly the same thing a few weeks later.

mixed_biscuits

Yes, rather than suspect Trump of being illogical for making racist, xenophobic statements, we should be as charitable as possible and rewrite his speech to make it seem like he wasnt being racist even though he said exactly the same thing a few weeks later.

In the first instance, the charitable rendering is 'their'; if he reasserts 'they're' at a later point, then the first instance might perhaps be rewritten.

comelately

Wild Horses

Obviously he's playing with the ambiguity here, but fwiw (not much imo) you can make a good case that he is saying 'their rapists'.

luka

Even just the sequence John Lewis - no marking of mlk celebrations - removing references to civil rights from white house website tells you a great deal. There's nothing ambiguous to be decoded there

droid

And then he doubled down, removing all doubt.

But it is food for thought. When he said he wanted to ban all Muslim immigration, perhaps he was calling for more immigration by using the old french meaning of 'summons'?

luka

But it's difficult to argue with someone who says Trump can't be racist cos he mates with kayne. Where do you start?

droid

On the positive side, 3.5 - 4.5 million people marched in the US yesterday making it the biggest single day of protest in US history.

Plus, a nazi got punched in the face on TV.

Its a good start.

comelately

Wild Horses
I'm all for Nazis getting punched in the face, but getting bogged down in a binary argument over whether Trump is a racist or not is probably about as far from the best place to start as you can get.

luka

I'm all for Nazis getting punched in the face, but getting bogged down in a binary argument over whether Trump is a racist or not is probably about as far from the best place to start as you can get.

It's not about stopping Trump it's about policing dissensus and setting standard ds

comelately

Wild Horses
some people on this thread should re-read "1984".

Possibly, but I have a Trump sympathising acquaintance who said the same about many on the left recently.

Obv I read it as a teenager, rewatched the Hurt/Burton film recently. I'm not sure exactly what a re-read would do for me tbh.

Last edited:

mixed_biscuits