firefinga

How do we see this playing out? Four years of protests and quasi/actual fascism? Or popular revolution and Trump and Bannon strung up from lamposts?

The protest will die down quickly. I have seen this first hand in Austria in 2000. Right-far right coalition, government walked into the parliament on inauguration day in an undergound passage bc the big square in front of the parliament was full of protesters. Protesters had sworn to do a weekly demonstration, numbers crumbled quickly. Government dissolved through incompetence after two years. Mass protests had next to no influence.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Hang on though, Donald Trump is the President. He's not a candidate for anything...how come he gets a PAC?

You may think Donald Trump isn't a candidate any more, but you'd be wrong.

On the day of Trump's inauguration, he registered with the Federal Elections Committee as a candidate in the 2020 Presidential election. He's legally running for re-election already.

Is that unusual?

Yep. Nobody's ever registered as a candidate in the next election before their Presidency has started in the history of the United States.

Fucking hell. The man's audacity knows no bounds.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The scary thing about Trump (well, not THE scary thing, but A scary thing) is that he's OPENLY corrupt and incompetent and seemingly impervious to criticism.

Even Bush/Cheney et al seemed to wish to be perceived as not corrupt and evil.

Leo

Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agents defied the orders of federal judges regarding Donald Trump’s travel bans on Sunday, according to members of Congress and attorneys who rallied protests around the country in support of detained refugees and travellers from seven Muslim-majority countries.

“We have a constitutional crisis today,” representative Don Beyer wrote on Twitter. “Four members of Congress asked CBP officials to enforce a federal court order and were turned away.”

“As far as I know no attorney has been allowed to see any arriving passenger subject to Trumps exec order at Dulles today,” Silvers tweeted on Sunday evening. “CBP appears to be saying people in their custody not ‘detained’ technically & Dulles international arrivals areas not in the United States.”

“We continue to face border patrol’s noncompliance and chaos at airports around the country,” said Marielena Hincapie, director of the National Immigration Law Center. Officials, she said, were “kafkaesque” in their confused responses, adding that Trump’s order “has already caused irrevocable harm, it has already caused chaos”.

but let's give him a chance. so what if government customs agents are defying a federal judge's ruling, that's no big deal, right? plus, he's friends with kanye.

sadmanbarty

The regime’s main organizational goal right now is to transfer all effective power to a tight inner circle, eliminating any possible checks from either the Federal bureaucracy, Congress, or the Courts. Departments are being reorganized or purged to effect this.
The inner circle is actively probing the means by which they can seize unchallenged power; yesterday’s moves should be read as the first part of that.
The secondary aim of personal enrichment is also very much in play, and clever people will find ways to play these two goals off each other.

Leo

ny times opinion page:

Let’s not mince words. President Trump’s recent actions are an attempt to move the United States away from being the religiously free country that the founders created — and toward becoming an aggressively Christian country hostile to other religions.

On Friday, his White House deliberately excluded mention of Jews from its statement on Holocaust Remembrance Day. A Trump aide, Hope Hicks, explained that mentioning Jews would have been unfair to the Holocaust’s other victims — a line that happens to be a longtime trope of anti-Semites and Holocaust deniers in Europe.

“The Holocaust was about the Jews,” former Reagan speechwriter John Podhoretz wrote in Commentary this weekend, “There is no ‘proud’ way to offer a remembrance of the Holocaust that does not reflect that simple, awful, world-historical fact.”

On Friday afternoon, of course, Trump signed an executive order barring refugees and citizens of seven majority Muslim countries from entering the United States. It was his way of making good on a campaign promise to ban Muslims from the country.

The order also said it would eventually give priority to religious minorities from these countries. And if anyone doubted who that meant, Trump gave an interview Friday to the Christian Broadcasting Network, explaining that its goal was indeed to help Christians. Fortunately, many Christian leaders are opposing the policy.

I expect that Trump’s attempts to undermine the First Amendment will ultimately fail. But they’re not guaranteed to fail. He is the president, and he has tremendous power.

The attempts will fail only if Americans work to defeat the White House’s flirtations with theocracy — as so many people began to do this weekend. This passionate, creative opposition may help explain Trump’s weakening of the ban on Sunday. Yet the struggle to defend American values is clearly going to be a long and difficult one.

As for reading suggestions, I recommend that you study up on recent history. On Friday, Vice President Mike Pence and Defense Secretary James Mattis stood beside Trump, clapping and nodding as he signed the executive order (while Paul Ryan and other top Republicans were largely quiescent).

A year ago, however, Pence thought that calls to ban Muslims were “offensive and unconstitutional.” Last summer, Mattis said, “This kind of thing is causing us great damage.” In June, Ryan said, “I do not think it is reflective of our principles, not just as a party but as a country.”

Leo

lawyers from the american civil liberties union are the ones who petitioned the judge to stay the immigration executive order, and have been helping people at airports. the ACLU typically receives about $4 million per year in donations. they received $24 million in donations just this weekend. i'll take any good news i can get.

...and right on schedule, trump to announce his supreme court nominations tomorrow. totally coincidental timing not meant to distract from the immigration ban at all.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Aww c'mon man, give the guy a break, he had a bad foot! (Just don't ask him to tell you which foot.)

luka

caconhma N2OJoe Jan 30, 2017 11:00 AM

The USA cannot accept a terrorist state on its borders. If Canada becomes a terrorist flooded and/or a terrorist supporting state than America will have to use a military force to destroy Canada based terrorists and their supporters.

luka

Soros is funding trolls to do down-voting comments that support Trump stuff.

Its a concerted effort as I have seen the 1ST comment on this page elsewheres this morning.

Soros is operating war rooms against POTUS somewheres.

luka

Whoa Dammit BabaLooey Jan 30, 2017 8:35 AM

In the 60's the protests were against a war because they did not want people to be blown up. Now we have people protesting to bring in people who could be terrorists because they do not care if people get blown up as long as the protesters can imagine themselves to be PC and can imagine they are not racist.

I can't see them having any good protests songs though... Muzzie soldiers and terrorists coming who cares about WhiteyO... Just doesn't have the same ring to it somehow.

luka

lovemesomeZH FreezeThese Jan 30, 2017 7:56 AM

As a WOMEN, I like the ban since German, etc.. women are being RAPED by these people. This is what is in store for women in AMerica if we take in savages. Now, I for one, carry a weapon and have NO PROBLEM shooting the dick off of one of these idiots if they tried that crap with me. Just saying.
BabaLooey's picture
BabaLooey lovemesomeZH Jan 30, 2017 8:05 AM

You go girl. You rock. More like YOU are needed here in this country.
Obadiah's picture
Obadiah lovemesomeZH Jan 30, 2017 8:32 AM

Pull that trigger grrrll with rightous indignation Yes
Knob Creek's picture
Knob Creek lovemesomeZH Jan 30, 2017 8:47 AM

Although shooting their dicks off would be poetic justice, always aim center mass and stop the threat. Shoot their dicks off after they're down ;^)

luka

NoPension Fred C Dobbs Jan 30, 2017 8:40 AM

Useful idiots.

I truly, truly believe....the left feels they genuinely hold moral high ground here. That Islam will, in the end, be magnanimous for the assistance in getting and establishing a foothold.

We know....beyond any and all doubt.... these lefttard liberal assholes will be at the top of the head chopping list. EVERTHING the left stands for is against the values of Islam. After Islam is finished using these fucking assholes to achieve their ends, it's off with their heads.
Oldwood's picture
Oldwood NoPension Jan 30, 2017 8:33 AM

Progressives use multiculturalism and social deviancy to keep us divided and these policies satiate their minions indoctrinated self hatred and need to self destruct. The only way they have of reinforcing their self worth is through self sacrifice, and they will happily take the non-believers down with them. Is there any wonder why the attract and are attracted to cults equally in love with self destructive lifestyles?

Anything that is contrary to tradition values....Those things that put us on top, is what they hate.
Nunyadambizness's picture
Nunyadambizness Oldwood Jan 30, 2017 10:17 AM

I would also add, anything that is anti-Christian.
Nunyadambizness's picture
Nunyadambizness NoPension Jan 30, 2017 10:16 AM

Liberalism is a mental disorder. Anyone who truly believes the bullshit that is espoused by leftists seriously has some mental and emotional issues. Most of those who espouse it don't believe it, they just use it for their own aggrandizement.

luka

“Get used to it. @POTUS is a man of action and impact. Promises made, promises kept. Shock to the system. And he's just getting started.”