Leo

prediction:

- sessions is being set up as a fall guy, either quits or is fired...not because he violated law by colluding with russians and lying about it, but because he recused himself from involvement in all investigations related to russia and is now unable to help trump.
- trump appoints a new attorney general who isn't recused from all things russia.
- new AG fires mueller and/or declares there's nothing to see here on the russian investigation and shuts it down altogether.
- if all else fails, trump tries to pardon himself and inner circle (aka, the family).

one would imagine, under normal circumstances, congress would be outraged if all that happened and call for immediate impeachment. but republicans have been such spineless wimps and pushovers (or just self interested) so far that i wouldn't count on it.

EDIT: i know everyone is tired of reading these types of articles at this point but we need to remind ourselves: this. is. not. normal. http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...BXYu0BRg50ESgfpfhMCI/story.html?event=event25

Last edited:

Leo

the trickle down effect: a guy in my town started a blog a few years ago covering local politics, and ever since the presidential election he's gone all alt-right and now fancies himself as a steve bannon mini-me. i'm currently in the midst of a humorous (to me, anyway) flame war with him in the comments section of a separate local blog and he's trying to adapt every brietbart/alex jones cliche to the town's upcoming mayoral race.

it's entertaining, but also a reminder that trumpism is filtering down. now every rightwing keyboard warrior feels empowered to be their own local honey badger.

firefinga

it's entertaining, but also a reminder that trumpism is filtering down. now every rightwing keyboard warrior feels empowered to be their own local honey badger.

Sure enough, but isn't that a bit of a "chicken and egg" question? (Far) Right wing and populist politics (with tangents towards conspiracy craziness) have quite a tradition in the USA (McCarthy, Goldwater, George Wallace, Perrot etc). There have been populists in power in other countries, and they usually self-destructed sooner or later via incompetence. Trump will very likely go down the same road. Question is, how much damage will be done in the process.

Leo

Sure enough, but isn't that a bit of a "chicken and egg" question? (Far) Right wing and populist politics (with tangents towards conspiracy craziness) have quite a tradition in the USA (McCarthy, Goldwater, George Wallace, Perrot etc). There have been populists in power in other countries, and they usually self-destructed sooner or later via incompetence. Trump will very likely go down the same road. Question is, how much damage will be done in the process.

i guess my point was more how the rise of brietbart/trump seems to have empowered followers to emulate their approach on a local level in city politics. we've had contentious local mayoral campaigns in the past but never had a self-professed bannon/jones-type shit stirrer involved.

firefinga

Fair enough - question is, does that clown actually influence people or is he just cluttering up the local blog's comment sections? Such folks seem to have a tendency to become obsessive (or are from the very beginning)

Leo

yeah, honestly he is more delusional than influential. also, i live in a heavily democratic area where trump got only about 20% of the vote versus hillary, so that type of alt-right shit doesn't fly here. in other parts of the country, however, it probably does.

Leo

this shitshow has really turned into a reality tv show...introduce a crude new loudmouth character to stir up trouble! threaten to kick colleagues off the island!

Anthony Scaramucci Called Me to Unload About White House Leakers, Reince Priebus, and Steve Bannon
He started by threatening to fire the entire White House communications staff. It escalated from there.

Scaramucci was particularly incensed by a Politico report about his financial-disclosure form, which he viewed as an illegal act of retaliation by Priebus. The reporter said Thursday morning that the document was publicly available and she had obtained it from the Export-Import Bank. Scaramucci didn’t know this at the time, and he insisted to me that Priebus had leaked the document, and that the act was “a felony.”

“I’ve called the F.B.I. and the Department of Justice,” he told me.

“Are you serious?” I asked.

“The swamp will not defeat him,” he said, breaking into the third person. “They’re trying to resist me, but it’s not going to work. I’ve done nothing wrong on my financial disclosures, so they’re going to have to go fuck themselves.”

Scaramucci also told me that, unlike other senior officials, he had no interest in media attention. “I’m not Steve Bannon, I’m not trying to suck my own cock,” he said, speaking of Trump’s chief strategist. “I’m not trying to build my own brand off the fucking strength of the President. I’m here to serve the country.” (Bannon declined to comment.)

http://www.newyorker.com/news/ryan-...house-leakers-reince-priebus-and-steve-bannon

the mooch!

Attachments

• Lizza-Scaramucci.jpg
    Lizza-Scaramucci.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 22

droid

I thought for a moment this slick new and apparently competent guy meant we were in trouble... but no. You can see why Trump likes him though.

Healthcare tanked again. Fair play to McCain on some spectacular trolling.